Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: General Swans news

Senior Player
    I've always been drawn to the Cortinas Sandridge. Those rugged blue collar types, not naturally gifted, but real fighters, proud to put on the red and white jumper, invariably one club players. Cressa is one of these. Other favourites along the way that fit this mould have been Brett Kirk, Kelly, Jude Bolton, Nick Smith, Rod Carter and Barry Round (though the latter two began their careers elsewhere). More dogged than flashy. Players that enjoy laying a strong tackle, often punching above their weight. In the current team I drift toward Fox, Rowbottom and Wicks, and it's hard to have this conversation without mentioning Parker and Kennedy. Invaluable.

Let us know what you think of the book. Greg Smith is a great comparison btw.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Senior Player
    Daryn Cresswell
    244 Games
    Ave Disp 22.95
    Goals 208.159
    Contested Possessions Ave 7.88
    Clearances Ave 4.96

Luke Parker
    232 Games
    Ave Disp 23.37
    Goals 175.116
    Contested Possessions Ave 11.49
    Clearances Ave 4.88

Obviously stats aren't everything, but this shows how good Cresswell was. And he played in the old lower possession era.
    A total soldier for us for many years.
    Last edited by KTigers; 14th August 2021 at 01:42 PM.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Daryn Cresswell
    244 Games
    Ave Disp 22.95
    Goals 208.159
    Clearances Ave 4.96

Luke Parker
    232 Games
    Ave Disp 23.37
    Goals 175.116
    Clearances Ave 4.88

Obviously stats aren't everything, but this shows how good Cresswell was. And he played in the old lower possession era.
    I always felt comfortable when Cressa got the ball. He consistently used the ball so well and took the right option more often than not.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    I've always been drawn to the Cortinas Sandridge. Those rugged blue collar types, not naturally gifted, but real fighters, proud to put on the red and white jumper, invariably one club players. Cressa is one of these. Other favourites along the way that fit this mould have been Brett Kirk, Kelly, Jude Bolton, Nick Smith, Rod Carter and Barry Round (though the latter two began their careers elsewhere). More dogged than flashy. Players that enjoy laying a strong tackle, often punching above their weight. In the current team I drift toward Fox, Rowbottom and Wicks, and it's hard to have this conversation without mentioning Parker and Kennedy. Invaluable.

Let us know what you think of the book. Greg Smith is a great comparison btw.
    Love your list of "Cortinas" snajik! May I add Ricky Quade to the list, please?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Daryn Cresswell
    244 Games
    Ave Disp 22.95
    Goals 208.159
    Clearances Ave 4.96

Luke Parker
    232 Games
    Ave Disp 23.37
    Goals 175.116
    Clearances Ave 4.88

He had a very high footy IQ and was named in the extended bench for the Swans team of the century for a reason
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I will never forget that mark that Cresswell took late in the final against Hawthorn in 1996. I was lucky enough to be at the SCG that night and it was our first finals win since 1945.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    And his peculiar run in for a set shot.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Cresswell was incredibly durable too. He went 11 seasons in a row where he never played less than 18 games in the year. This is what growing
    up in Queenstown can do for you I think. Some will remember that time he dislocated his knee and sat on ground and bashed it back into
    place with his fist.

Cresswell was incredibly durable too. He went 11 seasons in a row where he never played less than 18 games in the year. This is what growing
    up in Queenstown can do for you I think. Some will remember that time he dislocated his knee and sat on ground and bashed it back into
    place with his fist.
    Against Geelong, I think?

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I will never forget that mark that Cresswell took late in the final against Hawthorn in 1996. I was lucky enough to be at the SCG that night and it was our first finals win since 1945.
    +1
    I was there as well. Travelled from Melbourne to watch game with my late father as it was Father's Day. Huge roar when Cresser took that mark. My dad couldn't bear to watch Cresser's kick & asked me if he'd kicked the goal, I pointed out to him the 40k screaming fans!!!! Cresser will always have a special place in my red & white heart.

P.S. Watched replay of game & Don Scott's commentary was as biased as it can get to the point Sandy Roberts had to remind Don there are 2 teams out there playing!

Senior Player
    Even though we didn’t win the GF, 96 has always been my favourite “Swans year". The one point win at Waverley against Richmond
    with Plugger soccering the ball towards the boundary at the end. The draw out of nowhere against Essendon at the SCG. The SCG sell
    out & rows of buses outside the SCG that had carried legions of Geelong supporters up from Victoria only for us to win easily. The last
    round game in the rain against West Coast which was the night the Sydney chant started. Cresswell’s mark and goal in the Hawthorn
    final, and the Essendon prelim obviously. From Round 3 to the prelim we went 18-1-3. It was a hell of a ride, especially after the very
    challenging time from 92 to 94.

Even though we didn’t win the GF, 96 has always been my favourite “Swans year". The one point win at Waverley against Richmond
    with Plugger soccering the ball towards the boundary at the end. The draw out of nowhere against Essendon at the SCG. The SCG sell
    out & rows of buses outside the SCG that had carried legions of Geelong supporters up from Victoria only for us to win easily. The last
    round game in the rain against West Coast which was the night the Sydney chant started. Cresswell’s mark and goal in the Hawthorn
    final, and the Essendon prelim obviously. From Round 3 to the prelim we went 18-1-3. It was a hell of a ride, especially after the very
    challenging time from 92 to 94.
    It was a magnificent year alright! My Dad started taking me to South games in 1961 when I was 4. Had to wait 35 years to see my club win a final!
    Even though we didn't get the big prize, it was an exhilarating year!!!

1996 Qualifying Final Sydney v Hawthorn - YouTube

The qualifying final with Cressa producing when it counted. Again!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast