Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 51

Thread: General Swans news

  1. #1

    General Swans news

    I'm not sure where to post this article so I'm starting a new thread. If it was about a non-Swan I probably would have put it in the 'other games' thread but I it doesn't belong in the match thread or 'changes' thread either. Actually I think it's good to have somewhere just to post articles/videos/tweets etc. we find that are Swans related and of interest.

    From Banyule to the SCG: McInerney making waves in harbour city. (theinnersanctum.com.au).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

  2. #2
    AFL Round 7 Round Table Is it time we start worrying about the Tigers? Who has been the best off-season acquisition? (espn.com)

    A couple of votes for Aliir Aliir as best off-season acquisition but also one for Hickey. And that was before his Lazarus act over the past week and arguably BOG performance.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

  3. #3
    Last night on SEN Sam Edmund categorically stated Tom Hickey is the recruit of the year, "falling in love" on what he has produced this year even with a PCL! He rates him only 2nd to Gawn in terms of Ruckmen this year.

  4. #4
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Last night on SEN Sam Edmund categorically stated Tom Hickey is the recruit of the year, "falling in love" on what he has produced this year even with a PCL! He rates him only 2nd to Gawn in terms of Ruckmen this year.
    Gawn is streets ahead but if you told me before this season Hickey would be in the conversation for best ruckman i would've told you were dreaming !

    Reckon he will be brought back to earth on saturday night though

  5. #5
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

  6. #6
    Both Braeden and Errol have been ruled out until the bye due to suffering "stress reactions". I wasn't really too clear what a stress reaction is. So I googled. Here's a pretty good answer: Stress Fractures: Causes, Symptoms, Tests & Treatment (clevelandclinic.org).

    Looks like once they're ready to resume training, they will still need to build up to playing and then most likely return via the reserves. Still, will be great to see them come back and hopefully make an impact in the back half of the season.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

  7. #7
    This article has Josh Dunkley rating his 5 toughest players to play on: AFL Josh Dunkley Western Bulldogs - The five hardest players to match up against in the AFL (espn.com). Overall he rates Touk Miller as the toughest but he nominates 4 others and JPK is one of them. He has this to say about Joey:

    I learned plenty in 2016, en route to our premiership, but something which will always stick with me was just how great a player Josh Kennedy is. Don't get me wrong, I already knew he was elite, after all, he was my footy idol growing up and someone I wanted to mimic on the field. But playing on him is a whole different caper, and where you discover much more about someone's game.
    Going into that Grand Final, Luke Beveridge gave me the job of keeping a close check on Kennedy around the stoppages. It's fair to say I was pretty damn nervous! What makes him so great is his brute strength. Trying to quell his influence is near impossible when I literally couldn't move him. Every time I tried to body him up, he would just throw me out of the way with ease. At first I thought it may have been because of my lack of pre-seasons, but even now he can comfortably move me, and probably most midfielders, out of the way with ease.
    The only other player which really rivals Kennedy in the strength and physicality stakes is North Melbourne's Ben Cunnington. He's got quite similar attributes and is so difficult to move when you're in a one-on-one contest with him. You pretty much just hope to break even around the stoppages with these guys!

    It's interesting to note that Dunkley described JPK as his footy idol growing up. Bit of a sliding doors moment when we didn't take the chance to draft him when we could. He could have been an heir to JPK's role.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

  8. #8
    Travelling Swannie!! mcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    6,120
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    This article has Josh Dunkley rating his 5 toughest players to play on: AFL Josh Dunkley Western Bulldogs - The five hardest players to match up against in the AFL (espn.com). Overall he rates Touk Miller as the toughest but he nominates 4 others and JPK is one of them. He has this to say about Joey:

    I learned plenty in 2016, en route to our premiership, but something which will always stick with me was just how great a player Josh Kennedy is. Don't get me wrong, I already knew he was elite, after all, he was my footy idol growing up and someone I wanted to mimic on the field. But playing on him is a whole different caper, and where you discover much more about someone's game.
    Going into that Grand Final, Luke Beveridge gave me the job of keeping a close check on Kennedy around the stoppages. It's fair to say I was pretty damn nervous! What makes him so great is his brute strength. Trying to quell his influence is near impossible when I literally couldn't move him. Every time I tried to body him up, he would just throw me out of the way with ease. At first I thought it may have been because of my lack of pre-seasons, but even now he can comfortably move me, and probably most midfielders, out of the way with ease.
    The only other player which really rivals Kennedy in the strength and physicality stakes is North Melbourne's Ben Cunnington. He's got quite similar attributes and is so difficult to move when you're in a one-on-one contest with him. You pretty much just hope to break even around the stoppages with these guys!

    It's interesting to note that Dunkley described JPK as his footy idol growing up. Bit of a sliding doors moment when we didn't take the chance to draft him when we could. He could have been an heir to JPK's role.
    Interesting stuff. Question is whether we could of kept him happy at the club however.

    Something I didn't know existed - but fascinating (and probably of interest to many on here).

    Footywire has the ability to compare stats between players at the same 'age' per say (here is an example of Dunkley v Kennedy at the same age 22): https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...id2=A&fopt2=22

    Capability may well have existed forever in a day and I just never noticed it, or it may have not ha - but cool tool.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

  9. #9
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    326
    I’m pretty sure there were posts on here at the time of the draft explaining/theorising why we would not consider drafting Dunkley despite his talent.

    Something about the relationship with his father souring and how that might impact on Josh’s stay with us?

  10. #10
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Crowland :-(
    Posts
    4,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    I’m pretty sure there were posts on here at the time of the draft explaining/theorising why we would not consider drafting Dunkley despite his talent.

    Something about the relationship with his father souring and how that might impact on Josh’s stay with us?
    Melbourne bid on Mills at pick 3 meaning we burnt most of our points. There is also talk that Dunkley nominated FS with us on the understanding it would only be activated if he was selected by a non Victorian team, Dogs selected him, we didn't match.

    Having now seen what a gun Gulden is and being excited about his career trajectory, I wonder how high he would have needed to be bid on by another club for us to have not matched. Having seen what he's done so far, I would have been ok to have burnt 2021 draft points to match a higher bid as he looks a rare mix of footy smarts, skills, vision, decision making and high endurance.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    I’m pretty sure there were posts on here at the time of the draft explaining/theorising why we would not consider drafting Dunkley despite his talent.

    Something about the relationship with his father souring and how that might impact on Josh’s stay with us?
    Yeah. It was also speculated that we might have had a deal with him whereby we agreed we would only match a bid for him if it came from a non-Melbourne team. Most likely there were no such shenanigans and we just decided other players were more what we were after. And quite possibly we would choose differently if we had our time again. Hence the sliding doors moment.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

  12. #12
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"


Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO