Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: General Swans news

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    The partners of the players seem to form close & supportive friendships (I’m sure the same applies at other clubs).

Kim Reid had an Instagram ‘story’ with photos of Kate (Luke Parker’s partner) and Milly (Jordan Dawson’s partner) at different times cuddling her little boy on the flight up. Plus photos of her and Chloe Hickey’s little boys playing in the airport lounge.

So once they get through the 14-day hotel quarantine they should make good company for each other. With lots of ‘on-tap’ baby sitting services!

Impressive care & consideration by the Swans (and I assume the AFL). It’s going to be another black-hole budget year though....
    The AFL did last year secured a loan of $300m I think it was, from the asset of Marvel Stadium to get through 2020. Just recently I heard a figure of $200m that it has cost/lost the AFL so far this year with all the covid rescheduling to keep the season going.

It does make you think if this was to hypothetically continue in the seasons ahead, where is the line for the AFL to say enough is enough having drained all funds/assets to keep going? No guarantee things will return to normal in the short term.

Should the AFL be able to call on government assistance as they have done with other sports, given how important the competition is to millions of people during these difficult times?
    Last edited by KSAS; 24th July 2021 at 07:48 AM.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    This is a fascinating insight from Brandon Jack on the Dyl and Friends podcast. Talks about struggling with the pressures of the game to the point of binge drinking, how he coped with being a fringe player and some of the fall out with his folks.

#105 Brandon Jack - YouTube
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    This is a fascinating insight from Brandon Jack on the Dyl and Friends podcast. Talks about struggling with the pressures of the game to the point of binge drinking, how he coped with being a fringe player and some of the fall out with his folks.

#105 Brandon Jack - YouTube
    He's also written a book that's released today. It's called 28 (Adele fan?) and it's already getting plenty of praise.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/brandonja...818499/photo/1

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    He's also written a book that's released today. It's called 28 (Adele fan?) and it's already getting plenty of praise.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/brandonja...818499/photo/1
    His interview with Richard Glover yesterday , Monday 2nd August was terrific.

Really enjoyed that.

28 was the number of senior games he played

So the Swans families and partners (“stranded loved ones”) will FINALLY be reunited with the players this Thursday.

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    So the Swans families and partners (“stranded loved ones”) will FINALLY be reunited with the players this Thursday.

No Cookies | Herald Sun
    For those of us without the subscription: the stranded loved ones are flying down to Melbourne?

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    For those of us without the subscription: the stranded loved ones are flying down to Melbourne?
    Yes loved ones flying to Melbourne once allowed out of Qld quarantine.

Senior Player
    Just watched the Brandon Jack interview on Dyl and Friends and wow. Very honest and raw, with BJ admitting that 28 games was probably more than what he deserved to play with his level of talent, and also all the negative thoughts and behaviours that plague some fringe players in their desperate hope to make the first team.

Spare a thought for Stephens and why he might want a trade. Young players, especially those taken at the top end of the draft are just so hungry and desperate to succeed, but may not have the insight yet to do what it takes to make it.

Also very good to hear BJ talk about the respect he had for McVeigh and how he was a such a strong leader at the club.

Senior Player
    I suspect he (Brandon J) also thought McVeigh was nuts. But you often can't have one thing without the other and that is fine. Most disturbing
    thing was that Dylan Buckley didn't appear to know who Radiohead is. Anyway, the podcast is definitely worth checking out. They are both
    intelligent and likable young blokes. I will get the book. The last book I read from a Swans player was Barry Halls book. Not sure why I did that.
    Other general news ; I suppose everyone saw the email yesterday announcing the final membership tally for the year is 50,144. Pretty decent
    I reckon considering the current situation. Apparently all the other clubs membership numbers held up well this year too.
    Last edited by KTigers; 4th August 2021 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I suspect he (Brandon J) also thought McVeigh was nuts. But you often can't have one thing without the other and that is fine. Most disturbing
    thing was that Dylan Buckley didn't appear to know who Radiohead is. Anyway, the podcast is definitely worth checking out. They are both
    intelligent and likable young blokes. I will get the book. The last book I read from a Swans player was Barry Halls book. Not sure why I did that.
    Other general news ; I suppose everyone saw the email yesterday announcing the final membership tally for the year is 50,144. Pretty decent
    I reckon considering the current situation. Apparently all the other clubs membership numbers held up well this year too.
    I've ordered a copy of Brandon Jack's book and will have to listen to his interview when I get a chance.

Speaking of Swans books, the last one I read was a compilation titled How to play your position by Barry Mitchell and Damian O'Sullivan. Mitchell interviewed the All-Australian 1996 team with the intention to bridge the gap between the general public and star footballers.

I've only read Lockett, Kelly and Roos' advice (so far) about playing their respective positions, but I've been impressed with what they have to say about the intricacies of the game. Lockett in particular. Some of his other books are highly cliched, but his intelligence comes through.

Anyway, it's great news about our membership tally.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I must have missed the literary efforts of BBB. Not that I've read that much Swans literature. The Paul Roos book, Here It Is, was excellent. The previous one was Tadhg's book. Athough the its name escapes me, it was quite amusing in parts.
    Last edited by liz; 4th August 2021 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Off topic section deleted (moved to appropriate thread)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast