Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we now a genuine Premiership threat?

I definitely think we should, and will, be aiming for finals. And I expect us to get there. My hope is that we can also win one final. I don't expect more than that but nor do I write us off.

While it's possible we'll win four (or even all) of the next five, I don't consider that a pass mark. Three out of five would be acceptable. That said, I would hate to lose to Collingwood, Carlton or Hawthorn - please let us win those games.

The fringe players that we want to get games into, will probably get more games this season e.g. Stephens, McDonald, Campbell. Others, like Gould or Ling, may get chances depending on our injuries and their form.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    There's nothing like the power of positive thinking to get you in the right frame of mind for a move up the ladder.

It also makes for a good foundation for navigating one's way through the vicissitudes of life. And so many wonderful adages to help you along:

• Just say "NO"!
    • Don't think, Don't do.
    • Premiership? Not on my watch.
    • I would love to be a winner, but I'm just not up to it.
    • My mother once told me that the only thing holding me back in life was that I was just not good enough.
    • My wife once told me that the only thing holding me back in life was that I had no class.

I could go on, but I want to go on a bike ride before it gets too hot. It is Thailand, you know.

Ahh. Maybe I'll skip it and just go back to bed.
    Why bother winning, when we could be tanking for draft picks.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    My assessment of the remainder of the season.

Sydney's remaining games:
    Collingwood (H), Fremantle (A), Carlton (H), St Kilda (A), Hawthorn (H), Port Adelaide (A), West Coast (H), Western Bulldogs (A), GWS Giants (A), Fremantle (H), Essendon (A), St Kilda (H), North Melbourne (A), Gold Coast (H). Return matches in italics.

Expected number of premiership points from each game (on a scale of 0 to 4):
    Collingwood (4), Fremantle (2), Carlton (3), St Kilda (2), Hawthorn (4), Port Adelaide (1), West Coast (3), Western Bulldogs (1), GWS Giants (2), Fremantle (3), Essendon (2), St Kilda (3), North Melbourne (4), Gold Coast (2).

Games expected to win (4/4):
    Collingwood, Hawthorn, North Melbourne.

Games where a win is likely (3/4):
    Carlton, West Coast, Fremantle (H), St Kilda (H).

Games with even chances (2/4):
    Fremantle (A), St Kilda (A), GWS Giants (A), Essendon (A), Gold Coast (H).

Games where a win is unlikely (1/4):
    Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs.

Total expected premiership points:
    From these games 36 (9 wins, 5 losses), at end of season 56 (14 wins, 8 losses).
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post

Collingwood (H), Fremantle (A), Carlton (H), St Kilda (A), Hawthorn (H), Port Adelaide (A), West Coast (H), Western Bulldogs (A), GWS Giants (A), Fremantle (H), Essendon (A), St Kilda (H), North Melbourne (A), Gold Coast (H). Return matches in italics.

Collingwood (4), Fremantle (2), Carlton (3), St Kilda (2), Hawthorn (4), Port Adelaide (1), West Coast (3), Western Bulldogs (1), GWS Giants (2), Fremantle (3), Essendon (2), St Kilda (3), North Melbourne (4), Gold Coast (2).

From these games 36 (9 wins, 5 losses), at end of season 56 (14 wins, 8 losses).
    Seems logical to me!

I like the idea, But I think your scoring is a bit off.
    If we pencil in a loss for anyone more than 4 spots higher, Bulldogs becomes a zero.
    Anyone, 3 spots higher is a 1. Port stays at one.
    Anyone +2 or -2 around us on the latter, is 50/50 : Westcoast (down to a 2),
    Anyone -3 to -7 we are a good chance. Giants (up to 3), Freo (up to 3), StKilda (3), Gold coast (up to 3) , Carlton (3)
    Anyone -8 and onwards 4/4: Pies, Dawks, LolNorf, Essendon (up from 2 to 4)

That gives us 3 more points than your prediction, so 15 wins. Thats top 4 material.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    While it's possible we'll win four (or even all) of the next five, I don't consider that a pass mark. Three out of five would be acceptable. That said, I would hate to lose to Collingwood, Carlton or Hawthorn - please let us win those games.
    So 3 out of 5 is 'acceptable' but 4 or 5 out of 5 isn't a 'pass mark'? I sincerely hope your not a teacher!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    So 3 out of 5 is 'acceptable' but 4 or 5 out of 5 isn't a 'pass mark'? I sincerely hope your not a teacher!
    I sincerely hope you're not a teacher stevoswan!

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    Seems logical to me!
    But do you think footy is logical?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I sincerely hope you're not a teacher stevoswan!
    Thankfully no. Seriously though, can you not see that 4 or 5 out of 5 is better than 3 out of 5?

Teacher to 1st student: "Johnny, you got 3 out of 5....this is acceptable."

Teacher to 2nd student: " Poindexter, you got 5 out of 5.....you failed!"

Poindexter: "WTF?!"
    Last edited by stevoswan; 10th May 2021 at 07:03 PM.

Veterans List

I suspect we will improve as the year goes on but I reckon 13 wins is our max. probably gets us into the 8.

Veterans List

Nice, but I think you're in the minority if you think a win vs West Coast in Perth is "likely".

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Nice, but I think you're in the minority if you think a win vs West Coast in Perth is "likely".
    (H) = Home.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast