Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Are we now a genuine Premiership threat?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Aliir was BOG in the Adelaide derby.

The loss of Aliir comes back to haunt us, as it did in 2016. He is just the piece of the puzzle we're missing to be a real premiership contender.
    I think that AA is a more than useful player and was one of my favourite Swans but moving him allowed us to get Tom and I would argue that this was a win for us as he has given us a much more competitive presence at ruck contests as well as around the ground.
    This was a move that has really benefitted AA with the confidence that Ken Hinkley as shown in him but overall I think a win win trade

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    I think that AA is a more than useful player and was one of my favourite Swans but moving him allowed us to get Tom and I would argue that this was a win for us as he has given us a much more competitive presence at ruck contests as well as around the ground.
    This was a move that has really benefitted AA with the confidence that Ken Hinkley as shown in him but overall I think a win win trade
    No arguments from me on this. I was just wishing that we had found a way to keep Aliir and get Hickey as well.

Senior Player
    No arguments from me on this. I was just wishing that we had found a way to keep Aliir and get Hickey as well.
    Yes now that would been some great list management although I think the length of his Port contract was going to be hard to overcome.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I was just wishing that we had found a way to keep Aliir and get Hickey as well.
    That boat sailed 8 years ago.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Yes now that would been some great list management although I think the length of his Port contract was going to be hard to overcome.
    Length and dollars. My understanding is it’s four years at $500K.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Exactly.

Are you writing this as a statement of fact, a point of regret, or both?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Length and dollars. My understanding is it’s four years at $500K.
    Not ridiculous money for a player who has probably been one of the more important cogs in the Port team this year.
    I think we would have plenty of players earning more currently. I still feel that there was more behind the move than purely money.
    We didn’t appear to fight too hard to keep him maybe it was simply just a better opportunity for AA and we wished him all the best as it freed up some space for Tom or maybe other factors were taken into consideration ?

Senior Player
    NB: I initially read this as an exaggeration as part of a point that there's nothing to gain be hand wringing over past list management decisions. Actually, now understand it's a reference to Buddy's contract and is thus an example of the thing I thought it was deriding.

Senior Player
    Tony Smith also mentioned that we couldn't afford to keep him on the post game show last night which was interesting.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Tony Smith also mentioned that we couldn't afford to keep him on the post game show last night which was interesting.
    Especially if he was still under contract for another year which was my understanding. Possibly we could have played hard ball or at least sold the benefits of waiting for another year for a potential contract upgrade depending on any changes to the salary cap or other contracts. I still suspect another factor/s was behind our decision.
    Good luck to him though he seems to have settled in well

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    NB: I initially read this as an exaggeration as part of a point that there's nothing to gain be hand wringing over past list management decisions. Actually, now understand it's a reference to Buddy's contract and is thus an example of the thing I thought it was deriding.
    That you added this post, when your understanding of my comment changed, rather suggests you see some value in reviewing matters.

Yes, I do subscribe to the "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" school of thought - rather than the alternative "It's over, and can't be helped . . . as they always says in Turkey, when they cuts the wrong man's head off" school.

In any case you were right both times. I was referring to Buddy's contract AND the amount of time that has passed.

Any big $$ recruit is going to result in some player retention issues. I'm absolutely certain that the Swans recognised this effect (and it's duration) when the deal was struck, even if some fans haven't always. What I was suggesting is that I think we should do likewise.

As a last note, I am not making any judgement call on the benefits of Buddy's recruitment whatsover! My difficulty with the Buddy deal was not with the player concerned, it was my inability in make the specifics and circumstances of that deal add up. To my relief, this is no longer the case.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 8th August 2021 at 06:05 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.