Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we now a genuine Premiership threat?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    McLean is averaging 1.8 goals a game. I didnt think we would be saying that at the start of the year! He would have to be in the best 22 - surely! His 4 goals was the most by a Swan this year behind only Buddy's bag of 5 in the derby!! I think he is ahead of the Lizard who you have included.

Hewett too is an interesting dilemma. I confess i dont fully get the hype around George. He is a disciplined, skilful team player, but not a game-changer. That possibly gets him in the team, unless there's a game-changer like Campbell. I wouldn't be removing Campbell for him, but maybe Rowbottom? I wonder whether we will see George as a midfielder again. I think back to the GCS game where Touk Miller ran riot - we could've done with George there. I still think he could maybe offer more than Rowbottom if in a midfield capacity. It is a tricky call, I think both would be favourites of Longmire and he wouldn't want to leave either out, but midfield balance might force his hand!

These are such good problems to have and why i am brimming with confidence about what we can do this season!
    Surely you are not suggesting Rowbottom could be out of the 22 after giving me such a hard time for saying the same thing !

Veterans List
    I think we will make finals but the flag? Probably not. Hawks efforts of 2008 suggest anything is possible but I think we need another year of development to be a serious flag contender. There is no doubt we are building towards something special in a season or two.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Surely you are not suggesting Rowbottom could be out of the 22 after giving me such a hard time for saying the same thing !
    Two very different things, TB.

I suggested a scenario where Rowbottom could lose his place in the 22. That is completely different to admonishing him over every little thing he does.

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I think we will make finals but the flag? Probably not. Hawks efforts of 2008 suggest anything is possible but I think we need another year of development to be a serious flag contender. There is no doubt we are building towards something special in a season or two.
    All good points raised in the previous posts.

Injuries can and will play a part in who makes the finals and who ultimately wins it.

No one so far has raised suspensions as a factor. Lack of Discipline plays a huge part in team sports and losing players for doing DUMB stuff hurts their team.

As I also said a month or so ago I fear that our young players will at some stage be targeted by tactics bordering on dubious. How they handle that is a key factor.

I have also felt for a while that we need to use Buddy as a decoy at least 30 to 40% of the time to open up other avenues to goal for players who are in space.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post

I have also felt for a while that we need to use Buddy as a decoy at least 30 to 40% of the time to open up other avenues to goal for players who are in space.
    The matter of the approach to goal is fascinating. It is so frustrating to see how quickly the 50m arc fills up at the SCG. Early in the season, on the bigger grounds, I thought we played things really well, with clear leads into space, isolating Buddy, McDonald, with the others holding back a bit, but the smalls quickly making ground to crumb. Takes a very fast slingshot to beat the congestion at the SCG, however (and we've seen a couple of examples this season).

On the SCG it is far too easy for multiple forwards and mids to be drawn into the arc. Fortunately McLean was on fire, crashing packs, creating chaos, and taking contested marks amid the clutter. Very exciting, but a different approach to the clinical precision of those first weeks at the Gabba and MCG. Hopefully this weekend the bigger paddock will both allow us to go to the corridor with precision, and to have big forwards one-on-one, perhaps with Buddy leading one or two opponents away from goal to make space for Wicks, Papley, Heeney (if fit), Hayward.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    It is so frustrating to see how quickly the 50m arc fills up at the SCG.....

On the SCG it is far too easy for multiple forwards and mids to be drawn into the arc..........a different approach to the clinical precision of those first weeks at the Gabba and MCG.
    The SCG and the Gabba have almost identical dimensions so there’s a bit more involved in the explanation of our game patterns at these grounds than ground sizes. The MGG certainly is larger than both.

SCG 155 x 136
    Gabba 156 x 138

MCG 160 x 141

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    The SCG and the Gabba have almost identical dimensions so there’s a bit more involved in the explanation of our game patterns at these grounds than ground sizes. The MGG certainly is larger than both.

SCG 155 x 136
    Gabba 156 x 138

MCG 160 x 141
    I find that different sources give varying information about ground dimensions, which can be frustrating. Some of these are due to dimensions changing, and often websites aren't dated to show when the information refers to. This is what the Gabba's own website says about current ground dimensions.

https://thegabba.com.au/about-us/about-the-stadium.aspx

Admittedly it's not clear whether these dimensions are the size of the grassed area, or the actual playing surface.

I know that the Gabba looks bigger to the (my) eye than the SCG, though the arrangement of stands relative to the playing surface can play tricks on one.

We don't have the body of work to be considered a premiership threat yet.
    But if we play the last 3 games of the year, like our first 3, we can win it.

I think we can. You need some luck but often opportunity strikes when you least expect it.

In 2016 they finished 13th and most commentators thought Richmond were crap and they should sack Hardwick. No one suggested they had the "body of work" to win a flag. Then came 2017.

Stranger things have happened , I’m always an eternal optimist.

Veterans List
    I'll get back to you on Monday - or late Saturday night.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    We might be out muscled this year with such a young team , but I am confidant of a flag in the next 3-4 years.
    I’m also optimistic but I dare not dream after 2016.

Just happy with the improvements this year, these young Swans are impressive.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast