Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we now a genuine Premiership threat?

Stranger things have happened, the odds have shortened and the stars atm are strangely aligning .
    The unusual circumstances have bonded the group like (possibly) never before .

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    So my reason for that is the rebuild analogy. It's where I personally think we're at, with some young players still building and a flag more likely from 2023 and beyond. To put 2003 in perspective, it was Goodes first year of sustained, consistent, brilliant footy. It was Schneider's first year. ROK was still becoming a player. Blokes like Jude and Fosdike were only really starting to make an imprint. Creswell and Williams were veterans. I see the dynamic as similar.

Plus, I should add, the sheer stick-ot-up-them factor. Both years, people predicted us for the wooden spoon. Screw them.

Outside the flag years, 2003 was my fave season as a Swans fan of 30 years because of the sheer optimism and joy of it, and excitement of our play (I vividly remember being at Docklands Stadium for a match in about round six or seven and watching us dash around the ground to defeat Collingwood). This one is matching it.
    Great post and great comparison. Barry Hall was also a massive player in 2003 and dominated the comp until end of 2006.

So my reason for that is the rebuild analogy. It's where I personally think we're at, with some young players still building and a flag more likely from 2023 and beyond. To put 2003 in perspective, it was Goodes first year of sustained, consistent, brilliant footy. It was Schneider's first year. ROK was still becoming a player. Blokes like Jude and Fosdike were only really starting to make an imprint. Creswell and Williams were veterans. I see the dynamic as similar.

Plus, I should add, the sheer stick-ot-up-them factor. Both years, people predicted us for the wooden spoon. Screw them.

Outside the flag years, 2003 was my fave season as a Swans fan of 30 years because of the sheer optimism and joy of it, and excitement of our play (I vividly remember being at Docklands Stadium for a match in about round six or seven and watching us dash around the ground to defeat Collingwood). This one is matching it.
    2003 was a great season. A bit like the 2016 grand final margin, that margin in the prelim doesn't justify how hard we pushed Brisbane in that game. We were all dreaming at 3/4 time, but they showed just how good they are in that last quarter.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Great post and great comparison. Barry Hall was also a massive player in 2003 and dominated the comp until end of 2006.
    Loved Baz. He was as good as any forward in the comp that stretch.

And speaking of 2003, everyone rightly raves about Goodes in the famous 2003 final re Port. But go and also look at what Baz did, from his general play to his marking to his goal kicking. It was genuinely brilliant.

Again, that season! And this one is matching it. Roll on and let’s stick it up them.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

One thing that stands out is that we still like an undersized backline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    2003 was a great season. A bit like the 2016 grand final margin, that margin in the prelim doesn't justify how hard we pushed Brisbane in that game. We were all dreaming at 3/4 time, but they showed just how good they are in that last quarter.
    Why did you have to ruin this thread by bringing up 2016 🤯

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    One thing that stands out is that we still like an undersized backline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, though I’d say two things - Craig Bolton was at least the equal of Rampe. When Nick Reiwoldt names you as his most difficult opponent, you’re seriously good. And we weren’t playing the monster forwards of today. 200cm forwards are the norm now.

My instinct is that defence was better developed as pure stoppers. Our current one has better runners. That’s also reflective of how the game needs to be played these days.

Yes, though I’d say two things - Craig Bolton was at least the equal of Rampe. When Nick Reiwoldt names you as his most difficult opponent, you’re seriously good. And we weren’t playing the monster forwards of today. 200cm forwards are the norm now.

My instinct is that defence was better developed as pure stoppers. Our current one has better runners. That’s also reflective of how the game needs to be played these days.
    Completely agree.

I reckon Bolton was a better 1 on 1 defender than Rampe. But Rampe has a better all round game, and creativity running out of the backline as well is something Rampe adds a lot to. An ability to turn defence into attack.

The game is too different of course - but always fascinating to think how teams of different eras would 'line up' and go against each other if there was a way to equalise the differences that makes that simply too hard to do.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Completely agree.

I reckon Bolton was a better 1 on 1 defender than Rampe. But Rampe has a better all round game, and creativity running out of the backline as well is something Rampe adds a lot to. An ability to turn defence into attack.

The game is too different of course - but always fascinating to think how teams of different eras would 'line up' and go against each other if there was a way to equalise the differences that makes that simply too hard to do.
    I've always thought that Rampe had a lot in common with Leaping Leo. A certain amount of flair, combined with playing on and beating, much larger forwards.

And comparing those eras, I'd love it if Blakey could develop into a modern version of Tadhg. As in, someone who can launch electrifying counter attacks, while being a bit kamikaze in defence.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    As much as I appreciate not playing there anymore, that prelim at Olympic Stadium was one of the loudest crowds I can remember. Not even close to full capacity but much louder than any of the other games I've been to there when it was full.

I also thought we had them at 3/4 time, we seemingly had all the momentum. I can look back and appreciate it now but at the time I was gutted.

The 2021 team is a team of far more potential with much more explosive talent than 2003. The 2021 version is much younger with quicker and more skilful players. The 2003 team didn’t have the outside run and skills of players like Florent, Dawson, Gulden, J-Mac, Blakey, Stephens or Campbell. The 2003 starting inside midfield was not as strong as the Kennedy, Parker, Mills 2021 version.

2003 contained two amazing players (Hall and Goodes) who won the team many games. The 2021 has Buddy as the amazing player however at 34 he’s much more advanced in age as the 26 year old Hall.

Key defence was probably a little stronger in 2003 with Barry, Bolton and Schable shading Rampe, McCartin and Fox. Heeney and Haywood as medium talls are probably not performing as well as Davis and ROK.

Papley is a better player as a small forward than Schnider.

2021 has Chad as the young bull midfield linebreaker. The 2003 team had no Chad like line breakers except for Adam Goodes who amazingly was also the teams ruckman.

The 2021 team has assembled an artillery of young talent that will keep getting better and better year to year. The same talent projection was not there in 2003.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    This pretty much fits my view, particularly in terms of obvious potential at the given times.

One thing I’ll give the 2003 side is how many players went onto maximise their potential.

For example, ROK was solid in 2003 but not the player he became as an elite, high, gut running, link up half forward in 2005 (let alone the midfield bull of 2012).

Fosdike and Jude Bolton really kicked on from 2003, after years of good, but not spectacular development. (A nice reminder some blokes take time). LRT was still a gangly bit player playing CHF at times, not the best player on the ground to half time in the 2005 GF.

If our current squad can replicate that, and fill a couple of positional soft spots, it’s game on.