Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we now a genuine Premiership threat?

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Forever the optimist

Though I do agree, even after another great performance today.

We should finish 6th at worst from here however, which would be a great outcome. Though with the way things are headed in Sydney, even then a home final may not be guaranteed.
    Maybe a rerun of West Coast at Geelong?

It would be a cruel injustice if we have to stay in Melbourne for another few weeks and then have to return again for away finals. That would suck. If we make the GF we should get a home GF!

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Belief is not the same as confidence

We can win the flag this year. A long shot. But we’re a threat
    Precisely, the truth is in the thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by bodgie View Post
    It would be a cruel injustice if we have to stay in Melbourne for another few weeks and then have to return again for away finals. That would suck. If we make the GF we should get a home GF!
    I was at the game today behind the goals with the cheer squad and it was like a home game with all of the fabulous support from the Swans loyalists from the South days. We have by far the biggest away support of any non-Victorian Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Belief is not the same as confidence

We can win the flag this year. A long shot. But we’re a threat
    Correct. We’ve got belief we can beat any team on any day if we show up. On the other hand, we’ve shown that we can be beaten by any team if we don’t show up. Not looking forward to the North game.

In reality, I don’t think we’re quite in the serious contender category just yet, but I didn’t think we’d win both the last 2 weeks fairly convincingly.

Given our SCG record, it might actually be a blessing.

And barring covid shutting down Victoria again, the GF will be at the MCG until at least 2058. So I guess either wish for a health disaster for an entire state or accept that the Grand Final has a home for the next quarter of a century.

Veterans List
    We play very well at Marvel Stadium. Have a good record there. Be happy to play the GF there.

Veterans List
    Yes.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    My assessment of the remainder of the season.

Sydney's remaining games:
    Collingwood (H), Fremantle (A), Carlton (H), St Kilda (A), Hawthorn (H), Port Adelaide (A), West Coast (H), Western Bulldogs (A), GWS Giants (A), Fremantle (H), Essendon (A), St Kilda (H), North Melbourne (A), Gold Coast (H). Return matches in italics.

Expected number of premiership points from each game (on a scale of 0 to 4):
    Collingwood (4), Fremantle (2), Carlton (3), St Kilda (2), Hawthorn (4), Port Adelaide (1), West Coast (3), Western Bulldogs (1), GWS Giants (2), Fremantle (3), Essendon (2), St Kilda (3), North Melbourne (4), Gold Coast (2).

Games expected to win (4/4):
    Collingwood, Hawthorn, North Melbourne.

Games where a win is likely (3/4):
    Carlton, West Coast, Fremantle (H), St Kilda (H).

Games with even chances (2/4):
    Fremantle (A), St Kilda (A), GWS Giants (A), Essendon (A), Gold Coast (H).

Games where a win is unlikely (1/4):
    Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs.

Total expected premiership points:
    From these games 36 (9 wins, 5 losses), at end of season 56 (14 wins, 8 losses).
    It's time to revisit this to see how well my predictions have stood up so far. I will give the actual results as well as a running total of the difference between predicted premiership points and actual premiership points.

Collingwood (4) WIN (30 points). +0
    Fremantle (2) LOSS (2 points). -2
    Carlton (3) WIN (22 points). -1
    St Kilda (2) WIN (9 points). +1
    Hawthorn (4) LOSS (38 points) -3
    (BYE)
    Port Adelaide (1) LOSS (10 points) -4
    West Coast (3) WIN (92 points) -3
    Western Bulldogs (1) WIN (13 points). +0

The running total is currently zero, so the predictions have been fairly accurate overall. The individual match results are not as good, though they balance out: the unexpected Hawthorn loss is balanced by the unexpected win over the Dogs.

It's also interesting seeing how our form has improved after the bye.

The remaining games are: GWS Giants (2), Fremantle (3), Essendon (2), St Kilda (3), North Melbourne (4), Gold Coast (2). These add up to 16, so four more wins are predicted out of these last six games. That would give us 14 wins. Win all six, and we would be in with a good chance of a top four finish.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Warming the Bench
    Gee, that win showed quite a bit of maturity… 🤔

You have got to be it to win it, as the saying goes, and we are getting closer to ‘it’ each week.

Every season provides opportunities and we are doing our best to keep those opportunities alive. This is an exciting time, and I love to dream. Go Bloods!

Veterans List
    Yes.