Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we now a genuine Premiership threat?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I think we pretty much secure a final spot if we win this weekend. We are two games ahead of three teams in 9th-11th: Freo, GWS, St Kilda. GWS have just lost Greene, St Kilda just lost Marshall, and if we win we'd be three games up on the Dockers.
    Pity we didn't win on the weekend with other teams making up some ground. We won 5 games last year and we are still a young team although a number of older and talented players have returned. Just thinking that if someone had said that we would double our wins to 10 as part of our rebuild, most of us would have been happy with that. If we exceed that number then I reckon we have over achieved. Winning a final would be massive.

The signs of the improvement were there last year, so many close games and a healthy percentage. I was hopeful of making finals this year, which I believe will be achieved, with the team probably finishing 5 - 8. Winning a final would be a bonus and put us in good stead for next season with further improvement and experience gained.

Our grip on finals is a little more shaky than it was before, but the next two weeks are critical because we need to bank some wins as our draw gets harder later in the season.
    If we dont beat both Carlton, and then St Kilda, then we may not make finals. If we cant beat those two, whats the point of making finals ?

Veterans List
    If only . . .
    Better defence in the last couple of minutes of the GWS and Freo games so we don't lose both by two points and we'd be looking at consolidating our position in the Top 4.
    I really hope we one day get over our ability to play to the level of any other team we play and instead revert to the put-the-game-to-rest style of the first few rounds. For a start, that'd be better for my heart on game days.

Warming the Bench
    Bump

Veterans List
    I think we found the right structure today and got that centre corridor movement back. We had a lot of over the top handballs to a loose player. What I liked is we got to those spots to set the play up. If we get Chad and Braeden back soon then who knows.

It was a credit to us that we were able to outplay them in the 1st quarter when their pressure was up. We hit the scoreboard and WC had little to show for their effort. After that, they were very flat. Yes, all credit to us for a great game, but WC didn't put up much of a fight. We're going to have to repeat that effort and more against the Bulldogs next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It was a credit to us that we were able to outplay them in the 1st quarter when their pressure was up. We hit the scoreboard and WC had little to show for their effort. After that, they were very flat. Yes, all credit to us for a great game, but WC didn't put up much of a fight. We're going to have to repeat that effort and more against the Bulldogs next week.
    Agreed. We were fantastic but almost every other team will bring much greater pressure than West Coast did today. If Rampe was in AA form, I’d have much greater hope but he looks like he’s playing injured and so I still think we are vulnerable down back. Naughton will be a massive challenge next week

This weeks game against the Bulldogs will go a long way to determining our premiership credentials.

Win it and we are a genuine chance. Lose it and it confirms our position of playing finals but making up the numbers.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I think we found the right structure today and got that centre corridor movement back. We had a lot of over the top handballs to a loose player. What I liked is we got to those spots to set the play up. If we get Chad and Braeden back soon then who knows.
    Who does Braeden come back in for (assuming Chad for Bell)?

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Who does Braeden come back in for (assuming Chad for Bell)?
    If it's in the back half, it's between him and Lloyd for the distributor role.
    The tricky one will be Reid - he was doing incredibly well as a back up ruck and tall target before injury. Hard to trust his body, and Amartey showed a glimpse of what's possible with him today.

Suspended by the MRP
    No

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast