Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we now a genuine Premiership threat?

I think we are very much a Premiership threat. We play well against all the top 8 sides. We are now learning how to beat the lower sides. We now need to beat them comfortably. We need to start bringing total killer instinct. Once we have that we will be a definite Premiership contender.

All we have to fix is contested ball and clearances and I think the last falf last week went a long way to doing that. Our outside, kicking and rebound game is superb. Now to finish off and polish the game. This is exciting. In2012 at about the same time I decided the same. We were probably a year early. Some players were considered too young to play in a premiership. But we did it anyway.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Absolutely! That was one of the funniest parts of Leo - he couldn't kick for proverbials on his right foot, but often tried to evade trouble by running that way. Truly madcap stuff, and we love him even more for it.

I won't post it here because the link will ruin the thread, but if you want a fun read on Leo, google: 'Leo Barry Kamikaze', and an SMH article will come up headed "Just call him Kamikaze". There is a priceless story in there retold by his mum and involving three-year-old Leo and a tricycle. Golden stuff.
    Great article....and he had no idea at the time of the Swans legend he was going to become and of his golden moment in our history just two years later. Leo Barry, you star!

Senior Player
    Collingwood leading Crows by 5 at quarter time!

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Collingwood leading Crows by 5 at quarter time!
    Thay are playing Port

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Funny, I asked this question in early May, partly tongue-in-cheek.

I think (as I hoped at the time) that we now definitely are a genuine threat. As Wayne Carey wrote today, there are few teams that others would prefer to play LESS than us right now.

Even if we only get there in 5th or 6th, every final from there will put fear in the hearts of our opponents.

From here, win or lose, I am proud of what this team has done this year. I reckon we will be the most popular team amongst supporters of the non-finals eight teams this year.

PS - Can we please get some vengeance for 2016 finally???

Quote Originally Posted by HeeneyIsAGun View Post
    PS - Can we please get some vengeance for 2016 finally???
    It really is the dream, isn’t it. It would be nice to win every grand final we play, but that hasn’t been our history. The last two losses still sting a fair bit too. We really could bury the pain from the past with an out of nowhere victory in 2021.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    It really is the dream, isn’t it. It would be nice to win every grand final we play, but that hasn’t been our history. The last two losses still sting a fair bit too. We really could bury the pain from the past with an out of nowhere victory in 2021.
    One worry I have that is very personal:I pray that if the Swans advance in September, Sydney, where the majority of their fans are, is still not in lockdown and the NSW border is open

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    One worry I have that is very personal:I pray that if the Swans advance in September, Sydney, where the majority of their fans are, is still not in lockdown and the NSW border is open
    I'm thinking about this too - best we can hope for is open border, no quarantine in receiving state. This is the issue with a Perth GF, where quarantine rules are pretty strict. Unfortunately, Victoria seems to lump ACT in with NSW.

The battle for top spot is very interesting. A statement was made today by Kane Cornes that the eight is now set. Not so sure about that. Richmond or Freo win and Essendon lose and that will change quickly. Of course we are going to try to end Freo's season today. Hopefully that will come to pass as it will give us another win closer to the top four. So far the round has been most interesting. i actually picked Suns but they just could not sustain their pressure for more than a half of footy. I was always sus about Melbourne and Carlton are as shonky and as shaky as Christopher Skase. Melbourne mids do not defend well and they leave gaps that is why Dogs had so many walk in goals. We should have beaten them earlier in the season but lack of experience got in the way.

the finals are going to be an interesting exercise in style v style. For instance the Dogs lock down, Cats slow movement/tempo footy (about the most boring side to watch), Swans fast concise movement, Essendon's run at all costs, Eagles tempo, Dees lack of accountability attack, Lions similar to Dees, Port's manic long bomb high scoring attacking. Frankly I think the teams most at risk of losing are Eagles, Dees and Lions. The latter two lack accountability on the defensive side from their mids. They do not run both ways. Dees & Lions don't always bring the intense pressure either. The Eagles are fine if they can keep the ball off. If they can intercept mark and then just kick the ball around and keep control. Once you take control away they have no plan B. they simply can't play when the ball is loose or the other team have control and don't give it up easily. Bombers all out attack comes unstuck too under intense pressure and if you cut off their run they then lose structure. They have a great midfield and a great half back who gives them plenty of run. But if you take Hind out by having a really good defensive forward on him they get lost coming out of defence. I think the Cats are the next most vulnerable. They are slow. with one or two exceptions they are slow and need to play Tempo footy or die.

Is anyone a fan of the AFL ladder predictor?

I just had a go with the last four rounds. Pretty interesting.

Suspended by the MRP

No

Don't leave us in suspense. Can we make top 4?