Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we now a genuine Premiership threat?

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    The SCG and the Gabba have almost identical dimensions so there’s a bit more involved in the explanation of our game patterns at these grounds than ground sizes. The MGG certainly is larger than both.

SCG 155 x 136
    Gabba 156 x 138

MCG 160 x 141
    Dawson reckons teams have figured out how to defend against us. I think that’s the explanation

Teams have 'done homework' on fast-starting Sydney Swans

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonsteinman View Post
    When challenged, King lost his nerve and refused to rule the Swans out - having already ruled them in, and then out, this season. Says more about him/his opinions than the team.

A lot would have to go right I believe. The majority of the senior group need to get fit and stay fit.

This week will tell a lot. A team at the top of it’s game, on it’s home deck, where you have to play well to win a flag. The Swans have already knocked off the Premiers there, so another big scalp - in the context of this season - would speak volumes.
    Yep, couldn’t agree with me more on that one. A fit list will have us somewhere in the mix.

Posted at 3qt
    Last edited by Vonsteinman; 8th May 2021 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Flag in sand moment

Senior Player
    We have played 4 games against top 8 teams and 4 against bottom 10 teams, and are 5-3. Pretty good.

Our next 5 games leading up to the bye are against bottom 10 teams: Collingwood (h), Freo (a), Carlton (h), St Kilda (a), Hawthorn (h).

We shoud win 4+ of those.

- - - Updated - - -

*should

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    We have played 4 games against top 8 teams and 4 against bottom 10 teams, and are 5-3. Pretty good.

Our next 5 games leading up to the bye are against bottom 10 teams: Collingwood (h), Freo (a), Carlton (h), St Kilda (a), Hawthorn (h).

We shoud win 4+ of those.

- - - Updated - - -

*should
    Freo always a tough one , Carlton playing well against the dogs , and god knows what Saints team will turn up when we play them . But if we can win 4 out of those 5 we set our season up .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't think we are a premiership contender this season but we could certainly make the finals. We are building our team nicely and could be a contender in the coming seasons.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I really don't think we are a premiership contender this season but we could certainly make the finals. We are building our team nicely and could be a contender in the coming seasons.
    I'll be mighty disappointed if we don't make the finals from here. At the moment, I don't have expectations far beyond just making the finals, but who knows. The team is learning and developing in front of our eyes.

Luck will obviously pay a part, especially on the injury front. But also with the hot and cold teams - like St Kilda and Carlton. Both are capable of turning it on or spudding it up.

Freo you'd almost write down the four points if we were playing them in Sydney. They are a different proposition at home, though their injuries are mounting up. It's a game we're capable of winning, especially if we have both Hickey and Franklin available.

Suspended by the MRP
    No

Opti-pessi-misti
    Interesting to look at the ladder right now. It is gradually evolving according to the 'experts'' expectations. Apart from Melbourne we are the only team in the top 8 which was not expected to be there. At the.moment 6th. Hopefully we can continue to build on what we have achieved so far. Injuries to key players is as usual going to be critical.
    Do we want to look to the future and prioritise the development of our young players or to chase shorter term ladder position?
    Of course it would be good to finish in the top 8 and no doubt that is our aim but will that mean no spots for our young fringe players.

I reckon making finals would do more for our players development than not.

Veterans List
    Getting to finals is a numbers game, you almost certainly need 13 wins to make finals this year so at 5-3 we need to win 8 games out of 14.

It's also up to other teams to displace us from our current position in the eight and almost every week those out of the eight wannabes are playing top teams or each other, keen interest in the draw each week from here.

It's in our own hands and the next five games are very winnable.

Having got us over the line by backing Geelong to beat us, I should have a decent wager on teams like the Saints and Carlton to ensure victory!
    Last edited by 707; 10th May 2021 at 07:50 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Getting to finals is a numbers game, you almost certainly need 13 wins to make finals this year so at 5-3 we need to win 8 games out of 14.

It's also up to other teams to displace us from our current position in the eight and almost every week those out of the eight wannabes are playing top teams or each other, keen interest in the draw each week from here.

It's in our own hands and the next five games are very winnable.

Having got us over the line by backing Geelong to beat us, I should have a decent wager on teams like the Saints and Carlton to ensure victory!
    Absolutely. Every little bit helps!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    No
    There's nothing like the power of positive thinking to get you in the right frame of mind for a move up the ladder.

It also makes for a good foundation for navigating one's way through the vicissitudes of life. And so many wonderful adages to help you along:

• Just say "NO"!
    • Don't think, Don't do.
    • Premiership? Not on my watch.
    • I would love to be a winner, but I'm just not up to it.
    • My mother once told me that the only thing holding me back in life was that I was just not good enough.
    • My wife once told me that the only thing holding me back in life was that I had no class.

I could go on, but I want to go on a bike ride before it gets too hot. It is Thailand, you know.

Ahh. Maybe I'll skip it and just go back to bed.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast