Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we now a genuine Premiership threat?

Are we now a genuine Premiership threat?

I was listening to the "First Crack" podcast earlier today, and there was common consensus that of the current top 8, 7 were "genuine" flag contenders. David King nominated us as the odd one out, and said he didn't believe we could win it this year.

So question to the community (as biased as we can all be!) - are we actually a genuine threat? Or just making up the numbers?

It is important to note that as it stands, we have beaten 3 of the top 4 from last year (and all of them are still considered serious contenders), with only Port to play out of that group.

I personally entered the year hoping we would move up the ladder, finishing just outside the top 8 to demonstrate improvement. Making a final was the absolute pinnacle of hope, with the experience that would bring being seriously valuable.

Right now, I have moved my expectations somewhat - I now think a finals berth from here is a minimum, and a final victory would be an added plus.

But regardless of it all, I am starting to believe that we could still reach the heights of the 2003 team, and possibly even do a "Baby Bombers".

Thoughts?

I think as it stands, we are too young / inexperienced. So if they played finals tomorrow we'd have little chance.

However, its the beginning of May. There is nearly four months football to be played and we stand to gain more than any other side from experience over that time.

I'd like to hope we'll be contenders by then. It's probably a year too early for us.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    No.

We've improved faster than I thought too (9-11 pre-season) but we're more likely to contend 2023 or 2024 onwards.

Some of the younger bodies will tire, some of our key position weaknesses will reveal themselves in finals (and need to be dealt with in subsequent trade/recruitment windows - but that's ok) and we're particularly susceptible to injuries to the wrong blokes (again, largely key position related) in our depth.

I reckon we're more like Brisbane, in that we'll climb for a few years - but need to harden and mature to win a flag. I'd love to be wrong though!
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by HeeneyIsAGun View Post
    I was listening to the "First Crack" podcast earlier today, and there was common consensus that of the current top 8, 7 were "genuine" flag contenders. David King nominated us as the odd one out, and said he didn't believe we could win it this year.

So question to the community (as biased as we can all be!) - are we actually a genuine threat? Or just making up the numbers?

It is important to note that as it stands, we have beaten 3 of the top 4 from last year (and all of them are still considered serious contenders), with only Port to play out of that group.

I personally entered the year hoping we would move up the ladder, finishing just outside the top 8 to demonstrate improvement. Making a final was the absolute pinnacle of hope, with the experience that would bring being seriously valuable.

Right now, I have moved my expectations somewhat - I now think a finals berth from here is a minimum, and a final victory would be an added plus.

But regardless of it all, I am starting to believe that we could still reach the heights of the 2003 team, and possibly even do a "Baby Bombers".

Thoughts?
    When challenged, King lost his nerve and refused to rule the Swans out - having already ruled them in, and then out, this season. Says more about him/his opinions than the team.

A lot would have to go right I believe. The majority of the senior group need to get fit and stay fit.

This week will tell a lot. A team at the top of it’s game, on it’s home deck, where you have to play well to win a flag. The Swans have already knocked off the Premiers there, so another big scalp - in the context of this season - would speak volumes.

I agree with Vonsteinman in that a lot would need to go right - just to get anywhere near going even deep into the finals, let along being a genuine competitor for the flag.

However, from here I'd be a little disappointed if we miss the finals. We have what on paper is a pretty reasonable draw, with a decent pack of double ups potentially (though equally several of those teams we do seem to have trouble against), and have already banked good wins against good sides.

From here 8 more wins would probably be enough to guarantee finals footy, which I think is eminently doable, in particular if we can bank a few more before the bye (after the tough game of the Dees on Saturday night, its a bit kinder looking potentially - Colliwobbles, Dockers, Carlton, St Kilda and the Wees and Poos). I'd be disappointed from here (unless we get a resurgent injury list or form drops off quickly), if we don't reach the bye in Rd 14 at worst at 8-5. A genuine pass mark from here, given how those teams are going is probably 9-4.

All in all, still think we are going along great guns all things considered, but feel our window is probably a couple of years off opening yet. But a really good performance on Saturday night could lay down a marker for higher achivements in the shorter term also.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Can we win the premiership? Yes! But only if we play the Bulldogs in the GF and get that umpire who called "play on - not 15, play on - not 15, play on - not 15, play on - not 15!"

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Can we win the premiership? Yes! But only if we play the Bulldogs in the GF and get that umpire who called "play on - not 15, play on - not 15, play on - not 15, play on - not 15!"
    Yes a replay on the 2016 GF will be a good reminder of the umpiring nightmare on that day. Still remember the free kick count 20 to 8. Still remember the 10 times the Bulldogs players threw the ball. Not 15 you said?

I think we can win the flag if all the following occurs:

1) We play the corridor football of weeks 1-3.

2) Literally no injury list for key players.

3) Most important players in top form.

4) The 1st and 2nd year players are fresh, rested and in form.

This is the best 22 to do the job:

B Cunningham Rampe Dawson
    HB Lloyd MaCartin Campbell
    C J-Mac Warner Florent
    HF Heeney Reid Haywood
    F Papley Franklin MacDonald

Foll Hickey Parker Mills

Interchange Kennedy Rowbottom Gulden Blakey

Medical Sub
    Stephens

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    I don't believe we will be premiership contenders this year because we are not yet consistent enough.

We lost to GWS, and had a shocker against Gold Coast. These are the kinds of games we should be winning.

We've beaten three of last year's preliminary finalists, but so have enough of the other sides that none of these three sides are currently in the top four.
    * Geelong - lost to Adelaide (last year's wooden spooners) and Melbourne. Some of their wins have not been convincing, Brisbane by 1 point and Hawthorn by 5.
    * Richmond - lost to Port Adelaide and Melbourne. These results suggest they are no longer prime contenders.
    * Brisbane - lost to Geelong (due to umpires) and Western Bulldogs. Brisbane beat Collingwood by 1 point.

To get a better idea of our standing, we need to beat some of this year's contenders, not last year's. We have played none of the current top three yet, though we have Melbourne this weekend (round 8). We play Port Adelaide in round 15 and Western Bulldogs in round 17.

Another reason why we won't be contenders is we have a relatively easy fixture, with two games against Essendon, Fremantle, Gold Coast, GWS and St Kilda. This means our ladder position will be a bit higher than it would have been had we had a tougher fixture. It's not a true reflection of our ability.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    I think we can win the flag if all the following occurs:

1) We play the corridor football of weeks 1-3.

2) Literally no injury list for key players.

3) Most important players in top form.

4) The 1st and 2nd year players are fresh, rested and in form.

This is the best 22 to do the job:

B Cunningham Rampe Dawson
    HB Lloyd MaCartin Campbell
    C J-Mac Warner Florent
    HF Heeney Reid Haywood
    F Papley Franklin MacDonald

Foll Hickey Parker Mills

Interchange Kennedy Rowbottom Gulden Blakey

Medical Sub
    Stephens
    I know you keep calling for us to "play the corridor football of weeks 1-3". It's not as simple as that. You might want to read this

Teams have 'done homework' on fast-starting Sydney Swans

GWS and gold coast are better teams than their leader position suggests.

If jesse hogan keeps going, he is a like for like replacement for Jeremy Cameron, so talent wise they aren't much different to 2019. And GC are a good chance to sneek into the 8.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    GWS and gold coast are better teams than their leader position suggests.

If jesse hogan keeps going, he is a like for like replacement for Jeremy Cameron, so talent wise they aren't much different to 2019. And GC are a good chance to sneek into the 8.
    +1
    As long as Cogs stays injured GW$ are a chance.

I reckon this could be the year GCS finally break out.

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast