Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Are we now a genuine Premiership threat?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    If we are "more like the 2012 team" and that team lost 3 of its last 4, I have to disagree. Your argument is contradicted by that fact.
    You're right - my apologies. A misread by me.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    It's the same as always. If we are off by 5% and these other supposedly weaker teams see it and lift, then we will lose.
    That is true for any given team, in any given game. Melbourne's ups and downs since mid-season are proof of that, not to mention Port. Even Geelong has looked somewhat vulnerable at times. I don't think any team has it all this season, which makes it open, exciting, and full of possibilities.
    Extraordinary we're even having this debate, despite my optimism for a good season. It was only a few weeks ago some posters were lamenting the likelihood of us not winning another game this year! It's always a roller-coaster with young teams, but recently our guys have been able to contain the fluctuations within games, sometimes even quarters.

Senior Player
    This is possibly the most open competition that I have seen for over 20 years. I understand that this is just my perception but I’m not sure I have seen a year where no clear premiership favourite has emerged from the pack this late in the season. One of the betting sites has six teams showing $11 or less to win the premiership and I am not sure when there has been a season where so many teams have been grouped so close together.
    This year is an opportunity that may not arise again for quite some time.
    Everything has aligned for us we have no injuries we have no excuses we are the wild card in the mix and all we have to do is perform.
    I believe !!!

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I was one of those promising finals his year, but I believe a 2021 premiership is beyond us.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I was one of those promising finals his year, but I believe a 2021 premiership is beyond us.
    Why? Which team can't we beat?

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Why? Which team can't we beat?
    I don't think there's any team that we can't beat on any given day, especially with a little luck.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I don't think there's any team that we can't beat on any given day, especially with a little luck.
    And Chamberlain in a good mood!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Why would you say it is beyond us? It might be a hard ask, but surely we are in with more than a chance right now.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I have long been in the no camp, for two main reasons - the young 'uns would find finals tough, and particularly four straight if we finish outside top four; and 'key man' risk (particularly Hickey or McCartin).

Where I've got to is this:

- Right now, Geelong and the Bulldogs look a slight step ahead of others
    - We're alongside Port in rising at the right time of the year
    - Melbourne would be the only other side in the mix if they can regather form.

Brisbane look done, and none of the contenders for 7th or 8th look anywhere near it.

What I'd also say is some of our youngsters are actually getting better as the season progresses. JMac and Gulden being prime examples. So my view on that is shifting.

We've also consistently shown our best can match the best - beating Geelong and the Bulldogs, and running Port and Melbourne close.

If we hit the finals in the same form as recent weeks, and stay fit and healthy, then we can give it a real shake. I still think the odds are a bit against a young side doing it, but we also seem to have some that truly thrive on the challenge and our core of mid-20s players - Parker, Heeney, Mills, Dawson, Papley, even Cunningham etc - are in outstanding form.

So I've shifted from a no, to a possible.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I have long been in the no camp, for two main reasons - the young 'uns would find finals tough, and particularly four straight if we finish outside top four; and 'key man' risk (particularly Hickey or McCartin).

Where I've got to is this:

- Right now, Geelong and the Bulldogs look a slight step ahead of others
    - We're alongside Port in rising at the right time of the year
    - Melbourne would be the only other side in the mix if they can regather form.

Brisbane look done, and none of the contenders for 7th or 8th look anywhere near it.

What I'd also say is some of our youngsters are actually getting better as the season progresses. JMac and Gulden being prime examples. So my view on that is shifting.

We've also consistently shown our best can match the best - beating Geelong and the Bulldogs, and running Port and Melbourne close.

If we hit the finals in the same form as recent weeks, and stay fit and healthy, then we can give it a real shake. I still think the odds are a bit against a young side doing it, but we also seem to have some that truly thrive on the challenge and our core of mid-20s players - Parker, Heeney, Mills, Dawson, Papley, even Cunningham etc - are in outstanding form.

So I've shifted from a no, to a possible.
    My thinking exactly! Current form suggests we’re a chance but the fairy pups and Geelong have the experience that may prove decisive. Whatever happens, we’ve exceeded expectations and the lads are playing attractive and attacking football. I just have the feeling we are missing one or two pieces of the puzzle but just can quite put the finger on it- is it a tall defender or a clearance ace? Nearly there but …………….C’mon TB- help me out!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    My thinking exactly! Current form suggests we’re a chance but the fairy pups and Geelong have the experience that may prove decisive. Whatever happens, we’ve exceeded expectations and the lads are playing attractive and attacking football. I just have the feeling we are missing one or two pieces of the puzzle but just can quite put the finger on it- is it a tall defender or a clearance ace? Nearly there but …………….C’mon TB- help me out!
    Yes a clearance ace , Chad Warner is the name your looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    My worry in finals is that under pressure from a good team that we’ll resort to the down the boundary line football. If we do this, the more physically mature teams like Geelong, Melbourne and the Bulldogs will beat us.

If we keep to our recent corridor, switch, run, carry and precise kicking football then the physicaly mature teams will have to change something. Can they adapt to the Swans playing this style of football.

They can try.