Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: Are we now a genuine Premiership threat?

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Not very likely now that we'll finish top 4. Can we make it from outside the 4? We've proven we can mix it with the top teams, consistency is going to be the key, pulling 4 games together against the best.

Right now, there's not too much separating the top 6. I wouldn't put it past any of them to go on a run from here. We're still in the race but can't afford to have long-term lapses in pressure and skill like we saw during the Saints game.

It's a big ask for the younger guys to step up again. It's great they're getting to play finals football and exciting to see how they perform on that stage. No firm expectations but still hopeful of what could unfold

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    Not very likely now that we'll finish top 4. Can we make it from outside the 4? We've proven we can mix it with the top teams, consistency is going to be the key, pulling 4 games together against the best.

Right now, there's not too much separating the top 6. I wouldn't put it past any of them to go on a run from here. We're still in the race but can't afford to have long-term lapses in pressure and skill like we saw during the Saints game.

It's a big ask for the younger guys to step up again. It's great they're getting to play finals football and exciting to see how they perform on that stage. No firm expectations but still hopeful of what could unfold
    I think we have the biggest tick and the biggest cross amongst the top 6.

When we are on, we dominate and pressure the opposition, have exquisite skills, are even in contribution, have foot skills like no other team, and we have plenty of goal kickers.

Unfortunately, when we get pressured our game that relies on high skill level can come apart, since we go at risky corridor level game with foot there is a chance of turnover and then we are undersized in defence which makes it hard to defend those turnovers. We are not so stable in defence, on clearances and contested ball.

The only time we look great is when our foot soldiers run the opposition amok and spread them and then win one on one contests.

The other top 6 will be able to keep focussed for longer periods and it won’t be easy to win 4 finals in this even competition. But let’s see how we go.

This has been one hell of a year for the Swans (and everyone else).

We finish the home and away season in 6th spot, but have the same wins as 4th. No one was suggesting this prior to the start of the season.

Sure, we could get knocked out of the finals in the first week but we are a real chance against all in the top 8. Go Bloods!

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    This has been one hell of a year for the Swans (and everyone else).
    We finish the home and away season in 6th spot, but have the same wins as 4th. No one was suggesting this prior to the start of the season.
    What was your prediction Matty10?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    What was your prediction Matty10?
    I don’t think I came into this season with a prediction of where we would finish - the prospect of finals really wasn’t front of mind.
    It was more a matter of I’d really like to see some improvement from the team in general, and hope Buddy has a good year (i.e. gets on the park, stays on the park and kicks some goals). I was excited by the prospect of our young players and was happy with the opportunity of watching them develop.

Senior Player
    The pre-season prediction thread is an interesting read. A few of us thought finals was a reasonable objective.

Swans chat Expectations for 2021 season

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    The pre-season prediction thread is an interesting read. A few of us thought finals was a reasonable objective.

Swans chat Expectations for 2021 season
    An interesting read.

I was a bit unders myself, and more focused on our medium to longer term trajectory, and prospect of continued improvement of young players and ongoing development of our new game plan.

More power to the club, Horse and the players. It’s affirmation of the best clubs always work to have success and insatiable appetite for winning, not just assuming it’ll happen like some clubs.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

There is a cluster of team in the top 6 which we are one of, then a big gap, and then 7th and 8th.
    You could argue that 8th and 7th are the two form teams of the comp right now, and GWS in particular are as injury free as they have ever been.
    Coupled with limited home ground advantage, apart from Port, this is the widest open finals series ever.
    Swan could just as easily win it, as be eliminated in week 1.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    There is a cluster of team in the top 6 which we are one of, then a big gap, and then 7th and 8th.
    You could argue that 8th and 7th are the two form teams of the comp right now, and GWS in particular are as injury free as they have ever been.
    Coupled with limited home ground advantage, apart from Port, this is the widest open finals series ever.
    Swan could just as easily win it, as be eliminated in week 1.
    Yep.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526