Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread: Swans v Demons.

I think Hayward's overall game is improving by the week. His marking has been great. OK, he missed an easy goal from right in front, but he kicked 2 hard ones. Maybe he needs to be tested for colour blindness. He picked out players in dark blue a couple of times without a red jumper in sight.

There's something not right about his awareness and decision making, but if he can get over that hump, he should be a very good player, worthy of being in the best 22 of any club.

I understand that for those supporters currently on life support, the wait has been long enough, but he could be another Tom Hickey. Once he turns 30 he'll be a superstar. Even Gary Rohan seems to have turned the corner.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

Incidentally, can anyone explain to me what is the issue with naming teams on Thursday night given that clubs can change the line up an hour before the bounce without giving any particular reason (as with Ratugolea being substituted for Stanley on Friday night)?
    There is no issue they just continued it from last year. I think the AFL assumed there may have been covid interruptions again. I read on the weekend that the naming of teams is going to return to Thursday nights but not sure exactly from which round.

Senior Player
    One of those games where you're thinking "if they could just string together 2 goals in a row, they'd be a chance". And then you realise it's the great defending that's stopping them from doing that. Thought May did a great job on Buddy. Somewhat concerned that Buddy's one decent chance didn't make 50!

Considering several players far from their best, and a few non-optimal selections, I thought they went surprisingly well. Someone on Twitter remarked that the result was probably the best indicator so far of where the team is at, and the one which will get the least discussion.

Equalled the wins of last season anyway! Looking forward to the Pies on Saturday.

I looked at that last 'contested mark' by McDonald in slow motion, and he never had control of the ball. He was bobbling the ball all the way to the ground, where he finally trapped it.

I'm not blaming the umps, because there were a lot of bodies around and it was difficult to see, but it's sad to lose a close one on a couple of suspect calls. It's just the way it goes with a game that's so difficult to umpire. You have to get a bit lucky to have a successful season.

From the following article, which comments on underrated players from each team for Round 8:

https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/05/11/your-clubs-underrated-performer-round-8/

Sydney – James Rowbottom

Another from the 2018 draft, this kid could be the most underrated from that class but on Saturday night, it was all about the contested and defensive aspects of his game.

Twenty-two disposals (nine contested) with only 64 per cent game time shows how he can find the footy but a game-high dozen tackles and 16 pressure acts for the young man was fantastic and just like Jordan with Melbourne, it showed the great depth at a good side.

But Rowbottom did make the Bests list, so it's hard to make the case that he's underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I looked at that last 'contested mark' by McDonald in slow motion, and he never had control of the ball. He was bobbling the ball all the way to the ground, where he finally trapped it.

I'm not blaming the umps, because there were a lot of bodies around and it was difficult to see, but it's sad to lose a close one on a couple of suspect calls. It's just the way it goes with a game that's so difficult to umpire. You have to get a bit lucky to have a successful season.
    Yes, I guess a mark like that would be paid around 40% of the time. One thing that hasn't really been mentioned much, is that the Melbourne player who kicked it to McDonald, did so after being awarded a mark. That mark was from a miskick by Kennedy, that travelled about 20 metres vertically, but perhaps only 10 metres distance wise. After last week's controversy, you'd think a commentator may have pointed that out.

Although, Melbourne also did cop a few randomly dodgy decisions. And of course, we don't know how the game would have proceeded, if a selection of decisions were adjudicated differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think Hayward's overall game is improving by the week. His marking has been great. OK, he missed an easy goal from right in front, but he kicked 2 hard ones. Maybe he needs to be tested for colour blindness. He picked out players in dark blue a couple of times without a red jumper in sight.

There's something not right about his awareness and decision making, but if he can get over that hump, he should be a very good player, worthy of being in the best 22 of any club.

I understand that for those supporters currently on life support, the wait has been long enough, but he could be another Tom Hickey. Once he turns 30 he'll be a superstar. Even Gary Rohan seems to have turned the corner.
    I think Hayward is the classic elite athlete who did not play with a footy non stop as a kid. He only started to take footy seriously in his final year of school. A kid that grows up with sleeping with his footy, and playing with his mates, usually develops better spatial awareness and decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    IA kid that grows up with sleeping with his footy, and playing with his mates, usually develops better spatial awareness and decision making.
    And also helps keeping population growth under control.

Interesting observation from Saturday night. Gawn dominated the centre taps but Melbourne still lost the clearances 17-4! But Gawn is a beast around the ground. Just emphasizes that Naismith would have to vastly improve his around the ground output to warrant a spot in our best 22. At his age, injury history and overall skill level, I'd say unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Interesting observation from Saturday night. Gawn dominated the centre taps but Melbourne still lost the clearances 17-4! But Gawn is a beast around the ground. Just emphasizes that Naismith would have to vastly improve his around the ground output to warrant a spot in our best 22. At his age, injury history and overall skill level, I'd say unlikely.
    Inflated numbers i think Ralph. We had SIX clearances within the first 5 or 10 minutes according to Cameron ling. We had control of territory and possession out of the gates while melbourne were i think slow to start. After about the 10 min mark of the 1st it was very much one way traffic. Still, i was pleased with the effort of the midfield. Against the premier ruckman of the competition and guns like Petracca and Oliver we did well to make it a good honest fight. Our leaders wore their heart on their sleeves and our young mids got a valuable lesson from the best in the business!

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    Inflated numbers i think Ralph. We had SIX clearances within the first 5 or 10 minutes according to Cameron ling. We had control of territory and possession out of the gates while melbourne were i think slow to start. After about the 10 min mark of the 1st it was very much one way traffic. Still, i was pleased with the effort of the midfield. Against the premier ruckman of the competition and guns like Petracca and Oliver we did well to make it a good honest fight. Our leaders wore their heart on their sleeves and our young mids got a valuable lesson from the best in the business!
    My point is that there is so much more to the modern day ruckman than winning hitouts. I have to admit, I almost pop an aneurysm when people go on about how much better we would be with Naismith in the team. It went to next level when sone suggested putting Naismith should be our number one ruck with Hickey giving him the chop out. Naismith seems like a cracking bloke but I don't rate him.

Rant over, I'll never mention this again. Promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    My point is that there is so much more to the modern day ruckman than winning hitouts. I have to admit, I almost pop an aneurysm when people go on about how much better we would be with Naismith in the team. It went to next level when sone suggested putting Naismith should be our number one ruck with Hickey giving him the chop out. Naismith seems like a cracking bloke but I don't rate him.

Rant over, I'll never mention this again. Promise.
    Lol!! Tell us how you really feel he he

I am a believer in the Crayfish. But i concur to think he would dislodge Hickey is a farce. You can see how proactive our mids are around the feet of Hickey, they are on the move wanting to be at the ball drop! They can finally focus on WINNING the ball & not DEFENDING their opponent!! Hickey has changed the entire make up of our midfield and i am loving it !!