Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: Match Thread: Swans v Demons.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Interesting observation from Saturday night. Gawn dominated the centre taps but Melbourne still lost the clearances 17-4! But Gawn is a beast around the ground. Just emphasizes that Naismith would have to vastly improve his around the ground output to warrant a spot in our best 22. At his age, injury history and overall skill level, I'd say unlikely.
    I agreed Ralph.

I would be VERY suprised if Naismith plays more than 5 more games - probably astonished if he played 20. Don't get me wrong - he can play but its a bit like Alex Johnston again sadly.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Here's the thing. Right now, Hickey has the spot, is playing brilliantly and deserves to hold it.

But ruckmen get injured. So the idea we don't need or want a quality back up (given Sinclair has given us stellar service but is busted, and Amartey ain't there) is weird.

And if you don't think Naismith can play, go look at his last full game before getting injured - round 1 vs Adelaide last year. He was superb in the ruck AND serviceable around the ground.

He won't get 20+ possessions like Hickey is right now; but before this year, nor did Hickey.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Here's the thing. Right now, Hickey has the spot, is playing brilliantly and deserves to hold it.

But ruckmen get injured. So the idea we don't need or want a quality back up (given Sinclair has given us stellar service but is busted, and Amartey ain't there) is weird.

And if you don't think Naismith can play, go look at his last full game before getting injured - round 1 vs Adelaide last year. He was superb in the ruck AND serviceable around the ground.

He won't get 20+ possessions like Hickey is right now; but before this year, nor did Hickey.
    I think you hit the nail on the head when you said serviceable. I prefer what Hickey can deliver.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head when you said serviceable. I prefer what Hickey can deliver.
    But as good as he is, The Hick still needs back up, as any 1st ruck does and Naismith is quality back up.....should he last. Longevity is the only question mark hanging over Sam.....he is certainly more than 'serviceable'.

We need backup to Sam the backup given his injury history

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    But as good as he is, The Hick still needs back up, as any 1st ruck does and Naismith is quality back up.....should he last. Longevity is the only question mark hanging over Sam.....he is certainly more than 'serviceable'.
    Happy to agreeing this point. Also need a backup to Sam too.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

Thanks man - the underrating of Naismith is a bummer. He's at least serviceable around the ground and one of the best hit-out to advantage ruckmen in the comp. Allied with Hickey's mobility and strengths up forward and back, I suspect they're both best 22.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Thanks man - the underrating of Naismith is a bummer. He's at least serviceable around the ground and one of the best hit-out to advantage ruckmen in the comp. Allied with Hickey's mobility and strengths up forward and back, I suspect they're both best 22.
    I reckon if we delved into the comments on the RWO forum around the time Naismith was back playing through the pre-season and first few rounds, we might see a similar level of love for him that Hickey is getting now re: "mids are finally able to attack instead of defend" , "its the missing link for the swans to have a dominant ruckman, like we did when we had Mumford"

Im a massive Hickey fan (I may have suggested he is capable of this level in a post, when he was traded in to howls of protest from the majority, but i cant bloody find it, haha) but the season is long and having 2 good ruckman is an enviable position for any club.

Like others have said, I feel like we can play both (probably not every week) but i think having 2 dominant rucks in a team can be very beneficial.
    I just hope we get to see Naismith at his best for an extended period. GO SWANS

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526