Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread: Swans v Demons.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyfabulous View Post
    You have to earn respect mate. I cant say even 1 of them deserves respect atm.
    There were decisions that went the Swans way as well. Umpires make mistakes like any human.

I think Papley’s behaviour towards the umpires is not good. It feels like his conduct towards umpires is petulant and bratish.

On the other hand I witnessed some incredibly positive conduct from Kysaiah Pickett from Melbourne:

- has a contest in the forward pocket. Offers both his hands to drag up both his team mate and the Swans opponent.

- has a contest with Cunningham where they both ended up on a table. Pickett and Cunningham both smile and help each other off the table.

- Pickett plays with joy and looks like he loves the game.

I would tell my son to watch Pickett play and take note on how he conducts himself. I would tell my son that Papley is a good footballer but don’t you ever behave towards umpires like he does.

No one mentioned "the standard of umpiring" last week.

- Gulden: he's clearly playing for frees, and trying to do too much. When he just played footy he looked great. First time I've seen a big gap between his best and worst in a game
    - Warner: does anyone else watch him and think his only issue is that he doesn't yet believe how good he is? He seems to surprise himself how easily he creates space for himself. Love his simplistic approach to just "get it, go as far as you can and kick it long"
    - Hayward: depth player at the moment. Hurts us with decision making and goal kicking
    - Mills: taking over the mantle more each week. Great game
    - Rampe: every week does more than anyone else on ground
    - Cunningham: his discipline in defence has gone unnoticed. Fantastic job on Kosi, shutting down a really difficult opponent
    - Lloyd: again, do much footy for such little impact
    - McLean: only forward to compete in the air
    - Papley: similar to Gulden. Just play footy and shut up
    - Jmac: really floats in and out of a game. Needs to start having a sustained impact out there
    - Rowbottom: loved his multiple attempts to get us doing something different (short kicks inside 50, switches etc). We were too predictable

Overall, great effort. They had two noticeable injuries (Viney and Tomlinson) but covered them well. We had Heeney, Reid, Naismith and didn't cover them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post

Last qtr 5:28 to go free against dawson. Melbourne player threw head back. There was nothing there.
    You're probably referring to Spargo, who jerked his back as if he had been whacked, prior to any contact being made. And when contact was made, it was minimal and largely of his own doing.

A few weeks ago, he did the same against Geelong. It was even more blatant and I commented at the time, that I hoped he would be fined for staging. However, he wasn't fined, and since he's still being rewarded, he'll probably keep doing it: until he is fined, or he cops a high degree of public shaming.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    What umpiring decisions in this game are upsetting people?
    Easy. The inconsistency on HTB. There were three of four occasions, our blokes applied a good tackle, and after a sustained period, Melbourne players simply were stripped of the ball, or dropped it.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I was at the game and but for a couple of critical fumbles we could have won. I had a great view and Melbourne we very good at clogging up the area 30 metres from our goal. I think our forwards worked very hard at keeping the ball in our forward line. Not enough credit given to our backline who played with great desperation.

Just a point with Errol; there were a couple of times where he didn't pick up cleanly and it looked to me he was waiting for body contact to play for a free.

We had a lot of the play in the last quarter and just couldn't get that little bit of luck to go our way. At the game the umpiring didn't look too bad but then again sometimes at the game you can't pick some those holds on players as mentioned in previous posts.

That was a tough hard game of footy and we just kept coming.

I bet Melbourne supporters are whingeing just as much as Swans supporters, because at the game when a Swans got a finger nail on the footy it was, "ball".

That was a top of the table game and as others have said we are on the way.

On Chad Warner; he is a genuine gun but the stats only give him 9 kicks and 6 handballs. Could it be that Mills gets some of his stats. I just love Chads desperation and he has a super tank.
    Spot on post

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Mids smashed but all things considered it went as well as we could hope short of getting the win. Our midfield mix needs to be Jpk, Parker, Mills and Warner. Forget Florent. I think hes a good player but hes not an inside mids A hole. Better in space where he can use his toe. Very damaging player. Him on one wing, Jmac on the other - Mills and Chad our next gen bulls and captain&vice captain. By the time Kennedy is retired we would hope Gulden or Campbell or Stephens will be in there ??

Too many average footballers out there cost us tonight but all gave extraordinary effort. We have ways to go until we have a 22 of all quality players. One week at a time.
    I thought our midfield was pretty good , we won the clearances 17-4 . Our biggest issue was our run and dare off half back . It seemed non existent watching from the ground . We need some run and gun off half back like the early rounds .
    Not sure what balance we can have there though as generally the back line was pretty good just stagnant bringing it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let’s give credit to Melbourne that they were better at shutting down our offence even though we had heaps of the ball. That is what good teams do. Our defence on the other hand was good at the back half but at times in the middle of the ground we let them waltz through it a bit too easily. This must be related to positioning, running a certain line in offence and defence etc.
    We missed extra marking target in the forward half who can take a screamer - Heeney. We had too many players who could not take a mark in f50 but we kept bombing the ball. I reckon atleast 20 entries were bombing the ball.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    What we do with the second ruck is a big issue. Sinkers just isn't good enough, McLean is not a ruckman and Reid is made of tissue paper and should never be risked in the ruck again. Maybe when Naismith is ready we play him and Hickey and drop Sinkers and McLean.
    Weather wise, it was not a god night to play both Sinkers and McLean. But leaving the wet aside, I wonder whether we can play two guys that are so limited when the ball hits the ground.
    FWIW Sinkers one handed marking attempts made me wonder if he had a hand injury. Horrible.

Buddy may be better for the run, and he'll have less capable opponents than May, so hopefully feel less need to stage for frees.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Weather wise, it was not a god night to play both Sinkers and McLean. But leaving the wet aside, I wonder whether we can play two guys that are so limited when the ball hits the ground.
    FWIW Sinkers one handed marking attempts made me wonder if he had a hand injury. Horrible.

Buddy may be better for the run, and he'll have less capable opponents than May, so hopefully feel less need to stage for frees.
    Agree as much as he has been a warrior for us I think it’s time to move past Sinclair. He dropped some easy marks and he just doesn’t have soft hands in the Ruck . Might have been better to play the lizard as our second Ruck in hindsight.
    I also think we will play McDonald going forward as another target the bombing it down the line just played into Melbourne’s hands .

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Let’s give credit to Melbourne that they were better at shutting down our offence even though we had heaps of the ball. That is what good teams do. Our defence on the other hand was good at the back half but at times in the middle of the ground we let them waltz through it a bit too easily. This must be related to positioning, running a certain line in offence and defence etc.
    We missed extra marking target in the forward half who can take a screamer - Heeney. We had too many players who could not take a mark in f50 but we kept bombing the ball. I reckon atleast 20 entries were bombing the ball.
    We have completely stopped hitting that short option inside 50 like we done so well the first few rounds

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    Agree as much as he has been a warrior for us I think it’s time to move past Sinclair. He dropped some easy marks and he just doesn’t have soft hands in the Ruck . Might have been better to play the lizard as our second Ruck in hindsight.
    I also think we will play McDonald going forward as another target the bombing it down the line just played into Melbourne’s hands .

As I said in my post, they took away those options 30 metres out. I don't know that players out of the midfield had much option. We got our hands on the ball up forward but couldn't clunk the marks. They were able to get quick transition into an open forward line a few times for goals, which was almost the difference in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    I’m sorry. I don’t like it when players abuse umpires and give away
    50s.

This happened didn’t it?
    I’m sorry, I don’t like it when umpires continually make bad decisions.

This happened didn’t it??

As you say umpires are humans - last time I looked so are players.

But to appease you we should trade Papley - yeah rightio.
    Last edited by Wardy; 9th May 2021 at 09:55 AM.