Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 9 vs Collingwood.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    And what exactly do you mean by "midfield craft"?
    RB seemed to play a much more outside game last week, and went deeper in the back half than I've seen him before. I can only assume this a directive from the coaching staff.
    We won the clearances and contested possessions for the match, so it's a fair assumption to make that other players (Mills, Parker, Kennedy, Warner) were given that task.

Even then, Warner had only 15 touches, 7 of them contested and 1 clearance. By your objective metrics, he should be going to work on his craft. But he offers much more than that, including 29 pressure acts.

I don't think it's a logical link to tie two specific statistical categories to RB getting a spray. For all we know, he did the job he was asked of.
    Exactly my point. Those 4 have been trusted to win clearances and the hard ball inside because they are quality mids ! They read the rucks taps, they crack in to win it .. they burst through a pack and then burst away to win the clearance. You can see they 'get' it .. they obviously work well together as a quartet with Hickey at training every week . Rowbottom doesnt do those things. He might get the odd handball at centre circle or stoppages but he isnt creative or dynamic. Doesnt have the speed to create any run from a stoppage , doesnt have the instincts to read the rucks tap. Im not just making this up btw you can watch him and its clear he has no understanding of stoppage work. When the ruck taps it he runs to the exact wrong place and completely misreads it , and on the very few times he correctly predicts where the ball will go , he is not clean and he fumbles it.

I dont want this to be another "dumping on RB" comment as that is not my intention . I still think he can be a very good player but i see nothing in him that makes me think that will be in the midfield .. he doesnt seem to have a lot of confidence either. Chad has confidence .. he gets the ball and knows exactly what he wants to do with it and he tries to make it happen , doesnt always work but when he pulls it off its game changing and breaks the game open . He will burst away with his leg speed or take the tackler on and break through it. RB doesnt seem to have any of this , he just gives little handballs off or slams it on the boot in the first second of possessing it ! Theres no run or desire to attack. He plays it safe too often To me thats a kid who doesnt know what hes doing and is in over his head in a key role that he doesnt have the right tools for.

Move him to defence i say , or keep him in the midfield is a tagger. Hes a natural at the defensive stuff , his tackling is enormous. Give him an opponent to focus on and Rowbottom would have far greater impact. Leave the ball winning attacking stuff to the guys who can actually do it. Like Chad. These two are talked about a lot as young mids but to me there is daylight between Chad and RB . All we are doing by making them share responsibilities is taking opportunities away from Chad to do what he is made for to be a gun onballer, and wasting time with RB in a role he wont thrive in when he could be used differently to greater effect !! Frustrating as this is a move that i reckon is bloody obvious and would shore up both our midfield to have a liability like RB out of there AND our back six to have a strong defensive player like RB among them . Yet all i get when i try to make this argument is that im hating on Rowbottom and silly nonsense about him pissing me off. I just want to see the kid succeed and mark my words if we keep trying to make him into some kind of gun mid he will only get more exposed and will end up just a depth player who only gets games if Mills or Chad are injured . Is that what everyone wants ??

"You left the table a mess last night. Your table clearances are way down this year and if you don't up your game you can forget about playing in my midfield for a very long time."

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Exactly my point. Those 4 have been trusted to win clearances and the hard ball inside because they are quality mids ! They read the rucks taps, they crack in to win it .. they burst through a pack and then burst away to win the clearance. You can see they 'get' it .. they obviously work well together as a quartet with Hickey at training every week . Rowbottom doesnt do those things. He might get the odd handball at centre circle or stoppages but he isnt creative or dynamic. Doesnt have the speed to create any run from a stoppage , doesnt have the instincts to read the rucks tap. Im not just making this up btw you can watch him and its clear he has no understanding of stoppage work. When the ruck taps it he runs to the exact wrong place and completely misreads it , and on the very few times he correctly predicts where the ball will go , he is not clean and he fumbles it.

I dont want this to be another "dumping on RB" comment as that is not my intention . I still think he can be a very good player but i see nothing in him that makes me think that will be in the midfield .. he doesnt seem to have a lot of confidence either. Chad has confidence .. he gets the ball and knows exactly what he wants to do with it and he tries to make it happen , doesnt always work but when he pulls it off its game changing and breaks the game open . He will burst away with his leg speed or take the tackler on and break through it. RB doesnt seem to have any of this , he just gives little handballs off or slams it on the boot in the first second of possessing it ! Theres no run or desire to attack. He plays it safe too often To me thats a kid who doesnt know what hes doing and is in over his head in a key role that he doesnt have the right tools for.

Move him to defence i say , or keep him in the midfield is a tagger. Hes a natural at the defensive stuff , his tackling is enormous. Give him an opponent to focus on and Rowbottom would have far greater impact. Leave the ball winning attacking stuff to the guys who can actually do it. Like Chad. These two are talked about a lot as young mids but to me there is daylight between Chad and RB . All we are doing by making them share responsibilities is taking opportunities away from Chad to do what he is made for to be a gun onballer, and wasting time with RB in a role he wont thrive in when he could be used differently to greater effect !! Frustrating as this is a move that i reckon is bloody obvious and would shore up both our midfield to have a liability like RB out of there AND our back six to have a strong defensive player like RB among them . Yet all i get when i try to make this argument is that im hating on Rowbottom and silly nonsense about him pissing me off. I just want to see the kid succeed and mark my words if we keep trying to make him into some kind of gun mid he will only get more exposed and will end up just a depth player who only gets games if Mills or Chad are injured . Is that what everyone wants ??
    "I'm not dumping on Rowbottom, but....."

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    "I'm not dumping on Rowbottom, but....."
    Not dumping on him. Saying he should be a defender or a tagger he would play 300 games there.

Not dumping on him. Saying he should be a defender or a tagger he would play 300 games there.
    I wish I could be bothered debating Rowbottom with you, but you're just flat-out wrong on every point. Like literally everything. He's a hugely valuable player. It's like you've got the wrong number or something.

I wish I could be bothered debating Rowbottom with you, but you're just flat-out wrong on every point. Like literally everything. He's a hugely valuable player. It's like you've got the wrong number or something.
    Just give up like the vast majority of us on here have, and recognise that there will always be some that are the equivalent of footy 'flat earthers' floating around.

We will all take plenty of joy when said opinion is proven over time to be very, very wrong.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Let’s investigate. You see Rowbottom as an improved defensive midfield option to George Hewitt?

Senior Player
    I agree - literally every point.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Let’s investigate. You see Rowbottom as an improved defensive midfield option to George Hewitt?
    No idea but he could be. Has all the right tools that Hewett has but younger. Rowbottom just resgiend until 2024 and Hewett is OOC this yr.

I'd trade Hewett or keep him for depth, move RB to the back line to replace Hewett/O'rirdan and then put Stephens/Gulden in the midfield. But if we want a defensive mid at the coalface to stop the best oppo mid then play Rowbottom in that role over Hewett

No idea but he could be. Has all the right tools that Hewett has but younger. Rowbottom just resgiend until 2024 and Hewett is OOC this yr.

I'd trade Hewett or keep him for depth, move RB to the back line to replace Hewett/O'rirdan and then put Stephens/Gulden in the midfield. But if we want a defensive mid at the coalface to stop the best oppo mid then play Rowbottom in that role over Hewett
    This is a great post and full credit to you for articulating how you see a role for Rowbottom in the future. I think you could be onto something. I think Rowbottom could be that midfield type stopper like Hewitt. I think the advantage that Rowbottom can have over Hewitt is that he has more power. He’s strong at the ball, ferocious in the tackle, has reasonable pace and has a great strong kick.

What are your current views on Blakey? Do you see him as a half forward / half back, left winger or back up ruckman? I thought he impacted the game well yesterday.

I was very impressed with J-Mac yesterday. I, like you can see him as a right wing player for the long term future.

You see Chad as Dustin Martin like. I think Chad can develop the power and athletic profile of Martin. I don’t know if Chad has the poise of Martin in traffic or the game awareness. How far do you think Chad is away from a Dustin Martin?

I know your a big fan of Stephens. How do you think he would improve the team given a regular opportunity?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    This is a great post and full credit to you for articulating how you see a role for Rowbottom in the future. I think you could be onto something. I think Rowbottom could be that midfield type stopper like Hewitt. I think the advantage that Rowbottom can have over Hewitt is that he has more power. He’s strong at the ball, ferocious in the tackle, has reasonable pace and has a great strong kick.

What are your current views on Blakey? Do you see him as a half forward / half back, left winger or back up ruckman? I thought he impacted the game well yesterday.

I was very impressed with J-Mac yesterday. I, like you can see him as a right wing player for the long term future.

You see Chad as Dustin Martin like. I think Chad can develop the power and athletic profile of Martin. I don’t know if Chad has the poise of Martin in traffic or the game awareness. How far do you think Chad is away from a Dustin Martin?

I know your a big fan of Stephens. How do you think he would improve the team given a regular opportunity?
    Ive been steadfast that RB doesnt resemble an elite ball winning mid to me , that we need to find the right role for him because hes obviously a decent player in general play but not dynamic or talented enough for the contest. Its not coming for him with a pitchfork like many believe but just trying to find the best spot for him in the team to give him a chance at a long career. If we dont i truly believe he will end up a depth player because he wont overtake Jpk Parker Mills Chad or Florent and i reckon Stephens and Gulden will prove better. We used a pick 25 on him and have put a lot of games into him, id hate to see that squandered when hes running around in the VFL because hes been squeezed out playing in the wrong role !

Blakey i regard even less than RB. His skills arent much and he goes to ground like a wet mop. wouldnt even have him in the team until hes shown he can do any role at all in the reserves over a sustained period of games . Seems like we are experimenting with him but its not helping him or the team ?

Stephens said in an interview he wants to play more inside. His draft summary said he played inside outside as a junior. We tried that with Florent getting him inside and outside but this yr has shown he is suited to outside. Lets give Stephens a try then throw him in at stoppages let him use his speed to get it from inside to outside. ECFL game yesterday he had 40 odd touches and it was a good mix of hard balls on the inside and clean ones in space.

Jmac and Chad are the ones who will be elit.e They have everything you could want in players. Have only seen them live a few times this year but on all occasions there is a team-lifting feel to them. Hard workers but just as classy with their finishing . The boys love them and get around them , they pump the crowd up . You can just tell they are special players and i know any other SCG goers will agree with me on that one. Calling it now Chad will take over from Mills as captain in the future and dont be surprised if Jmac is a VC ! Have also heard from ppl close to the club that they are hugely popular among the playing group and set the standard at training for the young boys. Mark my words these two , Errol, MCcartin and Mcdonald are who we will build our next flag around !

Btw there will nevr be another Dusty so we can can that idea already lol

Calling it now Chad will take over from Mills as captain in the future
    IIRC Chad stated his ambition to one day become club captain long soon after arriving at the club, during the pre-season last year. I was impressed. Many (most?) players would not be willing to make such a big statement or probably even to hold such an ambition privately. If I can dig up where that came from, I'll post. Might have been one of the Conversations with Cal podcasts.

I was also impressed when I went and saw Chad at pre-season last year and they had him doing intensive tackling routines with a tackle bag.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast