Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 9 vs Collingwood.

I'm happy for Colin O to have another game but I confess to being sceptical about whether he will eventually make it. I hope I'm wrong as I love his effort, strength and he seems to be a popular character around the Club. His footy smarts (or the lack thereof) is the area that worries me.

I think Gulden looks like he might benefit from a week off. Not sure who replaces him.

If Heeney is fit he replaces Wayward.

I think Blakey for Sinkers and give him a crack in the ruck

I feel as though i have entered the twilight zone!! I come in here and find suggestions like Hayward being dropped! Logan Mac returning! Rowbottom a defender! Gulden being dropped!
    I LOVE the diversity of opinions but sheesh!! Any of these moves would be a drastic over reaction to what was a pretty gallant loss!

/ Hayward dropped makes little sense because to me he appears to be getting better. Came back to senior level with a BANG then a few quieter games and last week got back on the scoreboard! Now is hardly the time to mess with that by dropping him!

/ I am a HUGE believer in Logan! But he needs form! He was demoted to the reserves and then played a quiet half and one decent game in the ECFL and then didnt play last week because of the COVID scare. Is that a solid enough body of work to work his way back into the best 22? Time will tell. Early gut feel says no!

/ I think it is just one poster suggesting Rowbottom shifted into a defensive role. Unsure if this is a response to my posting of his impressive defensive numbers last week ?? If so it is an overreaction. He could make a good defender, he has the right stuff. He has also been knocked down the pecking order a peg or two in the midfield, probably about 6th in the file now. But lets give him a chance to redeem before we totally reinvent him!!

/ Errol Gulden? Our best kick fwd? Dropped? I wont hear of it! An undisciplined performance from young Gulden against the demons. Some silly errors creeping into his game, but he is a smart and skilful young player. Like Rowbum, let us give him the chance to work through these woes. Fine development lesson. There are others who I would tap on the shoulder before him.

Two changes
    Wicks out Heeney In
    oriordan out Hewett in (if fit)

Would leave Sinclair in the team with Hickey needing help in the ruck especially with their 2 rucks (Grundy and Cameron)
    Hayward important to prevent intercept marks

They will get stretched with our marking targets inside 50.
    I would give Rowbottom a run with role with Pendlebury. I think he can shut him down.

In Hewett Heeney McDonald
    Out COR Hayward Sinclair

COR only given opportunity due to George's concussion. Has not done enough not to warrant recall for George, who will also be a good match up on de Goey. Frees Rampe to watch Miochek and McCartain to mind Cameron.

Hayward too erratic. Heeney much better at the medium role.

McDonald more mobile than Sinclair. Tall forward composition of McLean, Bud and Sinclair too slow and not competitive enough at ground level. Could also use Blakey in this role too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Some key match ups:
    - Wicks to Quaynor
    - Hayward to Moore
    - Rampe to De Goey
    - Fox to Mihocek
    - Cunningham to Thomas
    - Rowbottom to Daicos or Steele at contests

We can really stretch them in our forward half with their defence depleted. We may be too tall if we have McDonald come in as well - would probably play Hayward over him this week, and bring McDonald in for the big Perth oval the week after.

Sinclair for Heeney the only definite change. Then it's down to whether one of Wicks, Gulden or Jmac need a rest for Blakey. He's ahead of Stephens for me - who's on the McVeigh career arc, learning to impact a game beyond just elite endurance. He'll get there, he'll just take time.
    I get the impression that Stephens lacks a bit of mongrel. Seems like a really nice, sincere sort of guy, the type I'd be happy for either of my 2 daughters to bring home. He needs to get on some of Papley's angry pills.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Two changes
    Wicks out Heeney In

Would leave Sinclair in the team with Hickey needing help in the ruck especially with their 2 rucks (Grundy and Cameron)

I would give Rowbottom a run with role with Pendlebury. I think he can shut him down.
    I like these changes. Good post SwanSand
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I'd be happy to see McDonald come back in too but I think it would be for Hayward rather than Wicks purely from a role perspective.
    I think McDonald most likely to come in for Sinclair if he comes in. Wicks role is totally different and McDonald wouldn't come close to applying the same level of forward half pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    De Goey is their most effective forward and Hewitt must be a strong chance to do his tagger negating role.

Moore is their most effective back, and our recent form says a tagging negating role works there too. McDonald might the appropriate size and mobility for that role this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    De Goey would be too quick on the lead for Hewitt. Rampe will get that job and will towel him up. McCartin will go to Cameron/Cox (whoever plays) and Fox will take Mihocek I would think. Cunningham to take the most dangerous small forward (Daicos when he is playing there). Dawson to play more of an intercepting rebounder.
    I agree with AB Swannie that Hewett's quickness is an issue defending De Goey. But, on the other hand, I don't think Horse will be willing to let Rampe follow De Goey when he goes into the midfield. Will be interesting to see how they handle it. Perhaps they'll give COR the job? He's quicker than Hewett - but not as reliable. Incidentally, on COR, I think he was OK - not great - against Melbourne, but he was good against Geelong. He hasn't done too much wrong.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Clearly, De Goey is their most dangerous forward so I expect Rampe to go to him. If he moves into the midfield then someone like Rowbottom will take him while there.

According to Fox Footy: AFL 2021: Team Tips Round 9, team line-ups, predictions, ins and outs, changes, AFL injury news, selection, whispers, news (foxsports.com.au)

Team Tips: Sydney Rising Star nominee Errol Gulden looks ready for a rest with James Bell and Nick Blakey among the candidates to replace him. First-year player Braeden Campbell could come into the mix, with Lance Franklin seemingly fit to play back-to-back games. George Hewett is another who will come into their thoughts, but Sam Reid isn’t ready to return from his hamstring strain.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Two changes
    Wicks out Heeney In

Don't agree on Wicks, he had 27 pressure acts and six tackles. Watching his highlights on AFL stats pro the pressure acts caused numerous turnovers, ending in goals. He also held the ball inside 50 on many occasions enabling the mids to structure up. Also in the last quarter he really cracked in to try to win, and stuck it up Melbourne. That is really good for a young player.

I don't think some of the calls for particular changes are as important as some make it out to be. I have up to 35 players who I think could be in the side this week and do a good job. I have my preferences, but most are close calls that could go either way, rather than being clear cut necessary changes.

Obviously, if Heeney is fit, then he should play, probably in place of Sinclair, who had a nostalgic return of the dropsies on Saturday.

After the Heeney inclusion, it's not so clear what to do. We played well against Melbourne. Our pressure and tackling were both in the zone where we should win most games, so I don't find a great need for further change, but suspect there will likely be 1 or 2 more.

Some other thoughts about this game:
    • Lloyd seemed to spend a bit more time in the midfield on Saturday, and I liked what I saw. It will take some adjusting to get used to his absence from defence, it he does spend less time there, but I see a better mix taking place in defence. It's going to take a bit of time, because we still need to integrate another key defender, which is likely to be Melican, once he's fit again. Our lack of size in defence has been a constant challenge. Hopefully Melican is ready when we play Carlton and have to go up against Mckay and Casboult.
    • It might be blasphemous, but Papley is so dangerous when he goes through the midfield. He creates so much movement. He does the same in the forward line, so it's not easy to take him farther from goal, but I would still like to see more of Paps in the midfield, get him more time with ball in hand and creating opportunities for others.
    • Rampe may seem the best matchup for DeGoey, but I think we might give Fox a shot at shutting him down. DeGoey will spend most of hit time forward, given the weakness of Collingwood's forward line, so I wouldn't worry too much about what happens when DeGoey starts in the midfield. Both Fox and Rampe are good runners and DeGoey is not much of an aerobic runner, and we should be able to create some counterattack against Collingwood's forward line.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast