Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 9: the other games. Will North break the duck?

Round 9: the other games. Will North break the duck?

Much like last week, Saturday afternoon sees a clash between 17th and 18th, but this week it's Hawthorn that's 17th. For some reason, despite it being in Launceston, I'm getting an inkling that the 0/8 North Melbourne might break their duck. Perhaps it's because of Kennett's statements this week, on how Hawthorn are likely to be big players in the next couple of drafts and how they did that successfully, back in the early noughties. While some could read that as a none too subtle hint that, they're about to start tanking, I think it's probably more of a recognition of how bad a shape there list's currently in. It might be trying to head off any perceived future criticism, if they lose to North? Perhaps a way of saying to their fans, (many of whom developed a certain amount of smug self-entitlement during the three-peat years) 'yes, we know it seems bad, but really, it's part of the overall master plan'.

The first game of the round is St Kilda v Geelong. The fact that I'm a bit undecided on who I want to win this, is probably a reflection of my not being confident of our own form. If I thought we were flying, then it would definitely be 'go Saints': as that would give us a bit more chance of getting into the top four, at Geelong's expense. On the other hand, I'm thinking, that maybe we need teams on the fringe of the eight, like St Kilda, to lose and give us a better chance of sneaking into the eight. Then again, now that I think of it, 'go the Saints'.

We host Collingwood in Saturday's first game. I wish I could feel more confident, even though we're strong favourites. Maybe it's our overall poor record against them? Maybe it's our somewhat inconsistent form? Though I probably should feel more enthused, as this week, our changes are likely to be a player or two coming back from injury, rather than the destabilising two or three players going out through injury.

The Saturday twilight game is the Q-clash. I'm going for the Suns in this. Brisbane are more of a threat to our position and I would like to see a Gold Coast side, manage to shake off the city's reputation as a sporting graveyard. Don't know why the lack of success has occurred? Don't really buy the argument that there's too many hedonistic distractions. Sydney has better beaches. Melbourne and Sydney have better night life. Actually, Adelaide probably has better night life. No idea what Perth's night life is like? Perhaps it's okay, if you like amphetamines?

The next game is Richmond v GWS. Seems an important game; with both teams being at 4/4. While I wouldn't say that the loser is in trouble, at 4/5, making the top four starts to become problematic.

The other Saturday night game is Port v Western Bulldogs. If the real Port show up, it should be a high quality, intense finals preview type of a game.

Sunday starts with Essendon v Fremantle. So far this year, Fremantle haven't travelled well, which gives Essendon some sort of chance of climbing out of the bottom four.

They might be replaced in the bottom four by Carlton; who take on the high flying Melbourne.

And finally, as is almost tradition, the last game of the round is Perth, where West Coast host Adelaide. West Coast are very short at $1.09. Which I suppose is about right, as they've been good at home and Adelaide's early promise is starting to fade into the distance. But still, an upset would be a nice conclusion to the round.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I watched some of the Norf/Pies game last week - out of a macabre hope the Pies would lose.

The Pies were largely average to bad. And the Hawks are worse. But Norf are such a hot mess at the moment that as much as I'd love to see them confirm the decade of misery to come for the Hawks fans, I struggle to see it. But boy oh boy, how good would it be if it happened?
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Go giants

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I watched some of the Norf/Pies game last week - out of a macabre hope the Pies would lose.

The Pies were largely average to bad. And the Hawks are worse. But Norf are such a hot mess at the moment that as much as I'd love to see them confirm the decade of misery to come for the Hawks fans, I struggle to see it. But boy oh boy, how good would it be if it happened?
    Yes, I think North have been trying the tanking tactics, that Hawthorn pulled off in the early noughties. But the flaw in that plan, is that you no longer get the over-generous priority picks, prior to the first round. Hopefully, Hawthorn are also having another go.

Having watched the Saints and Cats game, I have to agree with Brett Ratten. Holding the ball, especially against Geelong, seems to have gone out the window. Although given St Kilda’s goal kicking debacle, even if they’d got all the HTB frees they should have received, there’s no guarantee they would have done much with them. They were all over the Cats and far too fast for them; should have been 5-6 goals up at halftime.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    No side has gone through a season without a win since Fitzroy went 0-18 in 1964.

North Melbourne has its best chance to avoid this fate against Hawthorn on Saturday. North has good chances against Hawthorn. Adelaide were 0-13 last year when they won their first game for 2020 against Hawthorn.

If North loses, their remaining games against other bottom-four sides are two games against Essendon (round 10 and round 18). They also have a game against Adelaide (14th) in round 23.

The latest a side has gone before their first win of the season this century was Fremantle in 2001 (round 18). That win was against Hawthorn (3rd on the ladder). Fremantle won their last-round game in 2001 against Adelaide (8th), to end the 2001 season with two wins.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    No side has gone through a season without a win since Fitzroy went 0-18 in 1964.

North Melbourne has its best chance to avoid this fate against Hawthorn on Saturday. North has good chances against Hawthorn. Adelaide were 0-13 last year when they won their first game for 2020 against Hawthorn.

If North loses, their remaining games against other bottom-four sides are two games against Essendon (round 10 and round 18). They also have a game against Adelaide (14th) in round 23.

The latest a side has gone before their first win of the season this century was Fremantle in 2001 (round 18). That win was against Hawthorn (3rd on the ladder). Fremantle won their last-round game in 2001 against Adelaide (8th), to end the 2001 season with two wins.
    Very old Swans supporters like myself will remember Round 14, 1973 when we ended a 29 game losing streak by beating Geelong at the Lake Oval.

North Melbourne have 2 losing streaks of over 30 games dating back to the 1930s. After the treatment of Goodesy by North supporters, I'm more than happy for the Kangaroos to again top our record of 29 straight losses.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, I think North have been trying the tanking tactics, that Hawthorn pulled off in the early noughties. But the flaw in that plan, is that you no longer get the over-generous priority picks, prior to the first round. Hopefully, Hawthorn are also having another go.
    The other flaw, a major one, is that you can end up a cultural mess for 2 decades, like Carlton and Melbourne did. The Dees have since emerged from that malaise, and despite everything, I believe Carlton are emerging, too. But it’s taken a mighty long time.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Very old Swans supporters like myself will remember Round 14, 1973 when we ended a 29 game losing streak by beating Geelong at the Lake Oval.

North Melbourne have 2 losing streaks of over 30 games dating back to the 1930s. After the treatment of Goodesy by North supporters, I'm more than happy for the Kangaroos to again top our record of 29 straight losses.
    It was Hawthorn supporters who started the booing against Goodesy so I am happy for them to lose every game from now to eternity.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    It was Hawthorn supporters who started the booing against Goodesy so I am happy for them to lose every game from now to eternity.
    Completely understandable. I think the fact that it was North supporters who sent Goodesy off in despicable fashion in what turned out to be his last game makes them a little worse for me.

The sight of North supporting children making "sooky faces" at Goodesy during an earlier game at Marvel Stadium didn't help my feelings towards them.
    Last edited by Sandridge; 15th May 2021 at 01:53 PM.

Ratten found a way to query the umpiring without getting himself in hot water. And all about HTB decisions not paid.

Why was Friday night's free kick count so low?

Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    The other flaw, a major one, is that you can end up a cultural mess for 2 decades, like Carlton and Melbourne did. The Dees have since emerged from that malaise, and despite everything, I believe Carlton are emerging, too. But it’s taken a mighty long time.
    Definitely. And I think that a major reason why that strategy can be culture destroying, is that it undervalues the sort of players, who might never be stars, but who will work hard and play a role, week in and week out.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast