Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Round 9: Swans v Pies.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    This suggests a new nickname for McLean: "Hands"...
    --> Hans --> Hans Gruber --> Die Hard --> John McLean --> McLean should be his new nickname!
    Either that or "Bruce"
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    --> Hans --> Hans Gruber --> Die Hard --> John McLean --> McLean should be his new nickname!
    Either that or "Bruce"
    McLean strikes me as the perfect athlete from the movie “Moneyball.

He does a great job as a tall forward for a lower monetary commitment than other tall forwards going around the competition.

What about the nickname.

“Moneyball McLean”.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I thought he was pretty good on Saturday. Played straight ahead for a change instead of in ever decreasing circles. Clearly his best role is as a tagger.
    I can see a home for George in defence. He's a decent size, clean with his disposal and certainly knows how to keep a close check on his opponent. For alot of mid / forward types, he's set and forget as he can follow them all around the park. I guess though if another club views him as being an inside ball winner (North or Adelaide) and offers him a contract that reflects this, he will be hard to keep.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    ... “Moneyball McLean”.
    Didn't he play for the Pies?
    Oh wait, that was Tyson Goldsack
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Is it possible be has a previously undiagnosed hearing difficulty? His inability to pick up on what team-mates are presumably telling him about, keeps happening - and against Geelong a mark was disallowed and he didn't hear the umpires.

I'm not sure what to think about Blakey as relief ruckman. I mean it's one thing to insist that tapwork isn't the be all and end all of a ruckmans duties, but I'd never thought a complete absence of knowledge/ability/clue on tapwork could be thought a prerequisite for the ruck.

Maybe they're just trying to get Nick involved in the play, but there's a huge potential for serious damage being done to the kid.
    My question with Haywood being caught with the ball when in space is 'are his team mates even telling him?' He's been caught so cold at times, I wonder if he even know's he's 'hot!' ie: has his team mates let him know he's hot? (Please, no silly comments on what a good looking rooster he is!) When caught this week and last week, he has looked to his team mates as if to say "how about a warning?!" Both theories have merit, because something's not quite right.

In regard to Blakey, most pundits thought he did quite well in the ruck on Saturday. If it gave him confidence then it was worth a go. I'm sure it's not a cue for his future role.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I hope not, I'm sure their are ruckmen out their that'd see him across the circle and think, Lizard skin boots are just what my wardrobe needs.

I was surprised at the Spring Blakey showed, he really should be a bigger marking threat than he's shown so far.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

I hope not, I'm sure their are ruckmen out their that'd see him across the circle and think, Lizard skin boots are just what my wardrobe needs.

I was surprised at the Spring Blakey showed, he really should be a bigger marking threat than he's shown so far.
    I noticed both Grundy and Cameron started to move their bodies forward to impede Lizard's leap. He jumps so high that if he's blocked in such a way that he lands awkwardly, it's going to result in injury.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I noticed both Grundy and Cameron started to move their bodies forward to impede Lizard's leap. He jumps so high that if he's blocked in such a way that he lands awkwardly, it's going to result in injury.
    Easy for me to say but if you want to play at AFL level you take the risk as I'm sure he is happy to do.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    Easy for me to say but if you want to play at AFL level you take the risk as I'm sure he is happy to do.
    Not just AFL level, I was first instructed to take away my opponents leap in under 12's school footy Hail thou best of schools and dearest
    The ruck is not a safe place at any level.
    It's why some AFL players are described as "too valuable" to be put into the ruck - and why I dislike seeing skinny kids go up against full sized ruckmen for more than short bursts.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 18th May 2021 at 01:47 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Yep, agreed completely!

Give him a decent run in the ruck and see if he can take more marks around the ground. He also needs to improve his ball use and as many said here, look for the simple pass rather than try fancy stuff. If his tank is good enough, I would persevere on the ball with him- otherwise he tends to drift out of the play too often!

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Either that or "Bruce"
    Our new full forward has mclean mchands.

Big Mac and “old” McDonald surely