Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 9: Swans v Pies.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    That was Mcinerney's goal then! Fantastic run that created it all! Played a great game!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    McInerney’s best game, I reckon; was prolific cruising down the wing. He’s a great kick too, and energy-giver.

Some areas for improvement from today:

Papley - his good is so good. So good. But he just doesn't work hard enough at times defensively. His work rate chasing the footy towards goal, compared to an opponent going the other way can be significant. I think he could be truly elite if he works on this
    Midfield balance - I'm not sure we really know what our right mix is yet. When Warner isn't in the middle, and it's Mills, Parker, Kennedy.. we have a lot of strength and first hands on the ball, but not a lot of line breaking and speed. Florent is still finding consistency of his impact. So as a result, we're a bit slow and lacking variation in there
    JMac - his decision making with the footy really can improve. He's a very good player, but he made some strange decisions early. Even the one where he kicked to Heeney for the first goal, he was aiming to hit a target 10m away and kicked over him. When around a contest, he can sometimes just give the footy off, not necessarily to someone in a better position. I really rate him - great tank and energy, but some big improvement still
    The backline - so good to see them get rattled and work their way back to really win the contest. Looked like JDG and Cameron could help them to a good score. Having a settled back group is important, and they have been this year. Hopefully a good month ahead of them playing together
    Buddy - wasn't a good day for tall forwards, and Buddy contested as much as he could, but didn't look to be moving well. Not 100% yet. Might be worth resting to Perth
    Blakey - nice move getting him in the ruck. He jumped well. And playing a role where he won't have someone checking him closely will open up opportunity for him. As he learns the craft (if this is a future role) he can really be damaging by rucking and getting to the outside of the contest to get the hands off a clearance winner. Keen to see how this plays out

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Great reponse after another turgid start. Maclean was great. Papley and Heeney played well. Hickey and Wicks both had four quarter contributions.
    McLean is a freaking revelation. One of the best contested marks in the comp. Consistent effort. Bet the coaches love him.

Great game from Wicks. The dude is a hard at it all game.

There wasn’t a bad player after quarter time. Enjoyable stuff.

Thought Bud worked into it well. There are still few joys to match a Franklin goal. Savouring each one.

Those who malign Lloyd should watch him in his game. His run is vital; gets the most out of himself.

Hayward is definitely best 22 playing like that. Marking and forward pressure were great.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Like Hickey on the mic. He's refreshingly honest. Good win in the end to the boys.
    Seems a cracking lad.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Faunac8;818039]
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    He's becoming a favourite of mine. Often seems to take marks near the goals, but at the same time, he often tops the team for distance run, according to the tracker. Often kicks straight, as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Impressive that he covered 16 km the next best was 14.5 km huge tank obviously
    TOG: 98%.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    At the risk of making us feel old- he's just turned 20 this year (he would have been only 2 or 3 when we started chatting on here)! Not at uni, but normally would have been- he's in the cohort of kids that had were finishing their HSC when the madness started and is just in limbo now of "maybe next year? again?"
    We are old now Stell!!! He’ll get it together and then there will be no stopping him.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Good Win, enough to like, bank 4 points and in to next week. Surely finals bound at this point which is pretty awesome. J Mac becoming a gun, what an astute pick he turned out to be !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pushing for Selection
    Longmire said earlier this year that "Buddy won't play every game". At that point I got the distinct impression that away games with significant travel involved might be the ones Buddy misses.

Fremantle away looks like it fits that statement.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Longmire said earlier this year that "Buddy won't play every game". At that point I got the distinct impression that away games with significant travel involved might be the ones Buddy misses.

Fremantle away looks like it fits that statement.
    Maybe but since he's only played two games back from injury and he needs consistency and we have a 7-day followed by an 8 day break I expect him to play

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I thought McLean was superb in the second half. He has pretty decent hands, great work rate and a decent tackle too.

He is never going to be a superstar but he plays a role and was important today, and always gives a good effort and contest.

Every Swans team needs an LRT
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    Maybe but since he's only played two games back from injury and he needs consistency and we have a 7-day followed by an 8 day break I expect him to play
    Me too, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    Tick from me on that as well, however wonder if the ground itself (Optus Stadium) will play on the club medico's minds? Last time Bud played there he kicked 8 goals against WC but he sustained a bruised heel which hindered him for rest of the season (it was the first AFL game played at Optus). Not sure if the hardness of the surface has since improved/settled?

Wonder if they’ll give Logan a run in Perth?

Senior Player
    Enjoyable afternoon out in the end. Breeze really was very stiff and swirly most of the game, the players seemed to adapt as they went on, but don't underestimate the difficulty of the conditions.

Good to see Heeney back in some form. I thought McInerney was very good, also Wicks, McLean and Dawson. Blakey good on return. Plenty of contributors in the second half. Pies defence started well but then really faded, for some reason.

I stuck around for a quarter of the VFL, sadly didn't get to see Naismith on the field but enjoyed what I saw. Very different experience, being inside a much emptier SCG echoing to the sound of players shouting. Hello to the boundary security guy I chatted with, who wished the game was in the morning as they were getting pretty cold by that stage.