Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 10 V Freo.

Quote Originally Posted by HeeneyIsAGun View Post
    As it should be (we are still 6-3, and equal third on points after all!!), it's mighty hard to get a spot in this team at the moment.

Dylan is the unlucky one as a result. Both he and Bell would definitely be getting starting runs in a number of other teams down the ladder. And we have the conundrum of Reid and Naismith making returns soon, with Campbell, Gulden and McDonald ready to return at some point. And the likes of Amartey playing super footy with minimal chance to break into this team.

I don't think the team needs changing at the moment. Leave it be for now, and reassess after the bye (injuries permitting).

- - - Updated - - -

He is currently equal 5th in the league for tackles inside 50: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...21&rt=LT&st=T5
    I do like Bell, but I'm not sure he is quite AFL standard medium to longer term (but very happy to be proven wrong).

Nice to see some serious competition for spots however at the moment.

I wouldn't change anything from last week unless forced by injury, although would be happy to see Stephens come in, but as per this thread, not sure who for.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Will we ever see Buddy firing on all eight cylinders? I'm ot sure we will. He might end up just a role player in his final year/s. He looks to have lost a metre of pace. His, strength is not what it was. Years ago he just would have pushed Maynard out of the way andoutmarkwd him. There wasn't too much of that I know he has had an injury, I mean he has had soft tissue injuries for the last 3 seasons.
    Seeing Maynard hoovering up possessions and even outmarking Buddy was a shock, as was the lack of kicking penetration showed by Buddy last week against Melbourne.
    Statistically, this season Buddy is averaging 2.6 goals per game, which ain't bad. More concerning however is that in the aggregate the Swans are a 3 goal better side without Buddy than with him this year.

It's all a bit shocking. I still hope that Buddy can turn it around, and make a substantial contribution this season. If Horse says he needs to be run into form, so they will play him against Freo - then good luck to him.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 19th May 2021 at 05:20 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Despite TheBloods' great hopes, I sincerely doubt that Blakey will be playing Reserves this week or that Rowbottom will be playing in defence. It will be minimal changes to our team unless there is an injury that we are unaware of at present. Stephens' run would be very handy on the big ground in WA but I'm not sure who goes out for him given the excellent team performance against the Pies?

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Despite TheBloods' great hopes, I sincerely doubt that Blakey will be playing Reserves this week or that Rowbottom will be playing in defence. It will be minimal changes to our team unless there is an injury that we are unaware of at present. Stephens' run would be very handy on the big ground in WA but I'm not sure who goes out for him given the excellent team performance against the Pies?
    You are right Aprilbr. Blakey showed more promise in the ruck against the Pies than he has all year long. I have not been as underwhelmed by his form as others. He has had flashes of brilliance but has not been able to piece them together into great pieces of play. But thats OK. He is young & learning. More concerning would be if the flashes of brilliance weren't there at all!! In the ruck though it appeared to give him a bit more purpose! He was using his superb leap and following up the crumbing ball! This is an excellent way to keep the Lizard involved in the play!! I would like to see it given a few more weeks before we retreat him to the VFL!!

Per your question for whom Stephens would fill in for, the answer is: Nobody! A great team performance last week. No weaknesses and with a fit Buddy supposedly ready to fly over to Perth, we have a chance at an UNCHANGED side! A chance to settle this team for a few weeks!! Just what the doctor ordered!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post

Rowbottom goes back to play on Mundy or Fyfe when they rotate fwd , then Stephens into the mids

We cant have 2 doing run with roles in the middle , too defensive . Choose one of Hewett or Rowbottom to tag Brayshaw/Mundy/Cerra/Fyfe and send the other to defence to play on them when their forward
    TB, I have seen you make the suggestion that Rowbottom should be in defence a number of times now. I am with you that he is a great defensive player! He is leading the club for tackles with 7 a game (he is 3rd in the whole AFL!) and a few weeks back i shared his pressure act numbers, which were through the roof. Im afraid that is where i draw the line, as the numbers suggest everywhere else he is doing more than fine as a midfielder!

He's currently 4th at the club for SCORE INVOLVEMENTS behind Mills, Gulden and Papley!! I consider SIs to be one of most important stats in the game today as it is the difference between those who make their possessions count and those who dont! His average of nearly 6 a game shows his disposals are leading to good things = scoring opportunities!! If you dont believe me about score involvements take a look at the top 5 in that category for the current top 4 sides!!

MELB - Petracca, Oliver, Pickett, McDonald, Fritsch
    WB - Macrae, Bont, Dunkley, Treloar, Naughton
    GEEL - Hawkins, Duncan, Selwood, Guthrie, I. Smith
    BRIS - Zorko, McCluggage, Lyons, Daniher, Bailey

That is a who's-who of the most dangerous forward half players in the league!! & you want to take one of our most promising YOUNG players in this area and put him in a back pocket??? You say you arent convinced of him because he doesnt win enough of the ball and doesnt win enough clearances with his possessions, but he is top 5 in both clearances AND contested possessions? In both areas ahead of Chad who you've made no secret of the fact you rate him so highly in this regard!! Puzzling, hm?

What about metres gained?? Another key stat. We did poorly in this area in 2020. We lost the territory battle so often. We were climbing uphill every match!! Rowbottom is top 5 for this stat (376m a match!!!)! Hes in good company with Dawson, Lloyd, Florent and Rampe, all players who gain high meterage with their rebounds from the back half! RB is a midfielder which makes those numbers even more impressive!

Maybe you will be convinced by tackles inside 50?? You said yourself it is a key part of our game and its even what made you come around to Sam Wicks! It might interest you to know Rowbottom is 4th in tackles inside 50? He's behind only forwards (Hayward, Wicks and Franklin!) and AHEAD of other forwards like Papley, Gulden, Reid and Heeney!!

Three stats that have been key to our rise up the ladder - more scoring, more territory and more forward pressure! Rowbottom is a key driver in ALL THREE areas!! Not only does he work hard off the ball but when its his turn to use it he is getting the ball to the right spots and being dangerous with it!! How can you want this player these numbers describe to be in the back line?? He is a forward half machine!! And still so young! Usually i am one of the few who are OK with your opinions of Rowbottom because i can accept them as just what they are, opinions!! But on this one you are WRONG! The numbers dont lie!

Rowbottom has also been good in the clearance work.
    If you compare him to Oli Florent who is similar built wise, Rowbottom who is only 20 years of age compares not only well but probably gives us more value with what neon has mentioned.
    Even comparing him to Bailey Smith from WB who was drafted in the same year, Rowbottom not only compares well, he probably adds more value due to his all round work.

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Rowbottom has also been good in the clearance work.
    If you compare him to Oli Florent who is similar built wise, Rowbottom who is only 20 years of age compares not only well but probably gives us more value with what neon has mentioned.
    Even comparing him to Bailey Smith from WB who was drafted in the same year, Rowbottom not only compares well, he probably adds more value due to his all round work.
    The comparison to Bailey Smith is helpful.
    Maybe if Rowbottom started to cultivate a dirty, street-rat mullet in the same vein and added some bum fluff above his lip, then TB would surely come around.

Who cares whether TB comes around? He has his own - well articulated, entirely idiosyncratic - opinion about Rowbottom and he's welcome to it. I even welcome him expressing it except when he denigrates the player/person. He's also made me/us think and back up our own, different opinions. No harm there.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I read an article today - on the AFL site? SEN? can't remember - that confirmed Buddy would be travelling to Perth because he needs some continuity. It suggested that had he not missed a few weeks with his recent bone bruising, he might have been rested for this game.

Unless Reid is available (unlikely) I don't see any need for any changes. There were a handful of players in the reserves side who did enough to suggest they are ready if required, but none that screamed "pick me".

(With the possible exception of COR, who I thought was one of the very best of the reserves side, despite not getting a mention in the official bests lists. But then I thought he was a bit stiff to drop out for the Pies game. But the only one he might come in for is George. Is there a specific Pendlebury-type role that they think suits George? If not, what is his role in the team? I am not convinced by his general play as a defender, and I think Fox is now occupying the spot he started the season holding down. I rate him as a player, just don't think he adds a whole heap to our defence, and has been squeezed out of the slow-midfield-brigade by the switch of Mills. Can COR come in and provide a bit more run out of defence? He didn't really do this against the Dees, which may have cost him his spot. But he did plenty of it against the Pies reserves side on Saturday.)
    I agree with all your comments about COR but would like to feel out how others feel about Harry's disposals. Whenever we are defending, his courage, anticipation and pace are outstanding but when he has the ball and needs to find this next best choice, I close my eyes and pray.

Most tipsters backing Freo, which makes me feel more confident. Swans are natural underdogs.

I would be happy to see Blakey playing as second ruck against Fremantle.
    Darcy will be against Hickey while Lobb seems a reasonable match for Blakey
    Keeping McLean free in the forward structure (ie not 2nd rucking) seems desirable in order to help our scoring potential.

You don't play a player like Blakey in the ruck long term. He will get physically beaten up. Regardless of how good his leap is, he's not a ruck.

I'd actually like to see Stephens developed in the back half or as a run with. He's quick and fit, and should be well suited to a run with role. However, with such a small backline already, there isn't a logical role. Perhaps with injury.
    I think he'd really benefit from going on a similar journey to McVeigh and Jack, with backline or tagging as a place to learn how to find the footy. Then time on ball growing over time.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast