Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 10 V Freo.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    TB, I have seen you make the suggestion that Rowbottom should be in defence a number of times now. I am with you that he is a great defensive player! He is leading the club for tackles with 7 a game (he is 3rd in the whole AFL!) and a few weeks back i shared his pressure act numbers, which were through the roof. Im afraid that is where i draw the line, as the numbers suggest everywhere else he is doing more than fine as a midfielder!

He's currently 4th at the club for SCORE INVOLVEMENTS behind Mills, Gulden and Papley!! I consider SIs to be one of most important stats in the game today as it is the difference between those who make their possessions count and those who dont! His average of nearly 6 a game shows his disposals are leading to good things = scoring opportunities!! If you dont believe me about score involvements take a look at the top 5 in that category for the current top 4 sides!!

MELB - Petracca, Oliver, Pickett, McDonald, Fritsch
    WB - Macrae, Bont, Dunkley, Treloar, Naughton
    GEEL - Hawkins, Duncan, Selwood, Guthrie, I. Smith
    BRIS - Zorko, McCluggage, Lyons, Daniher, Bailey

That is a who's-who of the most dangerous forward half players in the league!! & you want to take one of our most promising YOUNG players in this area and put him in a back pocket??? You say you arent convinced of him because he doesnt win enough of the ball and doesnt win enough clearances with his possessions, but he is top 5 in both clearances AND contested possessions? In both areas ahead of Chad who you've made no secret of the fact you rate him so highly in this regard!! Puzzling, hm?

What about metres gained?? Another key stat. We did poorly in this area in 2020. We lost the territory battle so often. We were climbing uphill every match!! Rowbottom is top 5 for this stat (376m a match!!!)! Hes in good company with Dawson, Lloyd, Florent and Rampe, all players who gain high meterage with their rebounds from the back half! RB is a midfielder which makes those numbers even more impressive!

Maybe you will be convinced by tackles inside 50?? You said yourself it is a key part of our game and its even what made you come around to Sam Wicks! It might interest you to know Rowbottom is 4th in tackles inside 50? He's behind only forwards (Hayward, Wicks and Franklin!) and AHEAD of other forwards like Papley, Gulden, Reid and Heeney!!

Three stats that have been key to our rise up the ladder - more scoring, more territory and more forward pressure! Rowbottom is a key driver in ALL THREE areas!! Not only does he work hard off the ball but when its his turn to use it he is getting the ball to the right spots and being dangerous with it!! How can you want this player these numbers describe to be in the back line?? He is a forward half machine!! And still so young! Usually i am one of the few who are OK with your opinions of Rowbottom because i can accept them as just what they are, opinions!! But on this one you are WRONG! The numbers dont lie!
    One more for your list NB, his last two games 63% and 66% time on ground respectively. Usually given 60-80 game time yet still delivers very healthy stats.

btw, I've meant to dig deeper re your moniker. A reference to the Arcade Fire album, or the John Kennedy Toole novel?
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    One more for your list NB, his last two games 63% and 66% time on ground respectively. Usually given 60-80 game time yet still delivers very healthy stats.

btw, I've meant to dig deeper re your moniker. A reference to the Arcade Fire album, or the John Kennedy Toole novel?
    The Arcade Fire album!! One of the great records of my late twenties that helped get me through a lengthy dissertation!

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    You don't play a player like Blakey in the ruck long term. He will get physically beaten up. Regardless of how good his leap is, he's not a ruck.

I'd actually like to see Stephens developed in the back half or as a run with. He's quick and fit, and should be well suited to a run with role. However, with such a small backline already, there isn't a logical role. Perhaps with injury.
    I think he'd really benefit from going on a similar journey to McVeigh and Jack, with backline or tagging as a place to learn how to find the footy. Then time on ball growing over time.
    Completely agree, novelty with Blakey in Ruck will wear off in a game or 2 and the opposition will bang him up. He may do what Aliir did, compete less in air and compete on the ground and be an extra midfielder. But that would also be fine. He is smart enough to work through it. But if we play him in the ruck for a few matches in a row, I am sure he will be gone for the season.
    Stephens has all the attributes to be an excellent player. But it seems that he just doesn't run the lines and be ever present around the contest for long enough to be that excellent player. There is probably not a lot of difference in things that he is doing vs what he should do to be elite but at the AFL level, the deficiencies get highlighted a lot as the opposition takes full advantage. He is young and the penny will hopefully drop soon. Remember Oli Florent arrived in similar vein to our team and has taken a lot longer to be a good player. I don't think he has the physique to be a tagger.

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    I know he won't be considered because of his many opportunities he has had, but Clarke had 41 disposals in the VFL and did not butcher the ball even once. Including he may be a risk as the pressure of the AFL may be too much for him to handle. Amartey cannot be far off getting a senior game also.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Teams are out: In Stephens, out McInerney (managed), Bell.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

i much prefer Thursday night teams...

And that will make plenty on here very happy

Stephens>Mcinerney

Emergencies are Clarke, Amartey, O'Riordan and McInerney. I'm not sure how many of the emergencies actually make the trip to Perth: but it would be odd, to rest McInerney because of mild back soreness and then put him on a transcontinental flight.

Regular in the Side
    Backs Tom McCartin Dane Rampe Jake Lloyd
    Half Backs George Hewett Robbie Fox Harry Cunningham
    Centreline Callum Mills Josh Kennedy Nick Blakey
    Half Forwards Sam Wicks Hayden McLean WillHayward
    Forwards Tom Papley Lance Franklin Isaac Heeney
    Followers Tom Hickey Luke Parker James Rowbottom
    Interchange Jordan Dawson Chad Warner Ollie Florent Dylan Stephens

Emergencies Ryan Clarke Joel Amartey Colin O'Riordan Justin McInerney

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Stephens>Mcinerney
    Are you well ?

Regular in the Side
    The Dockers
    IN: Luke Ryan, Josh Treacy
    OUT: Andy Brayshaw (injured), Taylin Duman (omitted)
    B: James Aish, Griffin Logue, Luke Ryan
    HB: Nathan Wilson, Brennan Cox, Darcy Tucker
    C: Blake Acres, David Mundy, Travis Colyer
    HF: Sam Switkowski, Rory Lobb, Mitch Crowden
    F: Lachie Schultz, Matt Taberner, Michael Walters
    R/Fol: Sean Darcy, Nat Fyfe, Adam Cerra
    I: Josh Treacy, Tobe Watson, Caleb Serong, Liam Henry
    E: Lloyd Meek, Taylin Duman, Connor Blakely, Reece Conca
    Umpires:Justin Power (4), Jeff Dalgleish (7), Brendan Hosking (16)

Amazed blakey is quickly closing in on 50 games. I think he's been gifted far too many seniors games when there are much more consistently performing players in the ressies.

I think he needs a serious stint in the reserves instead of being a first 22 pick each week so he can develop his game

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast