Thread: Changes for Rnd 10 V Freo.

Changes for Rnd 10 V Freo.

OK I'll get it started.

OUT. Probably Buddy.
    IN. Logan McDonald. cos it's in Perth.

Senior Player
    No changes.

Veteran Site Admin
    I read an article today - on the AFL site? SEN? can't remember - that confirmed Buddy would be travelling to Perth because he needs some continuity. It suggested that had he not missed a few weeks with his recent bone bruising, he might have been rested for this game.

Unless Reid is available (unlikely) I don't see any need for any changes. There were a handful of players in the reserves side who did enough to suggest they are ready if required, but none that screamed "pick me".

(With the possible exception of COR, who I thought was one of the very best of the reserves side, despite not getting a mention in the official bests lists. But then I thought he was a bit stiff to drop out for the Pies game. But the only one he might come in for is George. Is there a specific Pendlebury-type role that they think suits George? If not, what is his role in the team? I am not convinced by his general play as a defender, and I think Fox is now occupying the spot he started the season holding down. I rate him as a player, just don't think he adds a whole heap to our defence, and has been squeezed out of the slow-midfield-brigade by the switch of Mills. Can COR come in and provide a bit more run out of defence? He didn't really do this against the Dees, which may have cost him his spot. But he did plenty of it against the Pies reserves side on Saturday.)

Longmire confirmed in today’s press conference that Buddy would go to Perth (unless something untoward happens this week). And that Reid’s recovery was taking longer than hoped and he would be out for some weeks.

Liz, I think what you read came from Longmire.

Veteran Site Admin
    Indirectly. I've just this moment finished watching Longmire's PC from earlier today, and whatever I read, wherever I read it, was certainly a summary of what Longmire said.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Longmire confirmed in today’s press conference that Buddy would go to Perth (unless something untoward happens this week). And that Reid’s recovery was taking longer than hoped and he would be out for some weeks.

Liz, I think what you read came from Longmire.
    I thought initially that Buddy would be managed for this game but Longmires press conference suggests otherwise. Would have been nice for Logan to play in front of family and friends.

History suggests that Reid will probably be out for an extended period of time. There has been as least two other seasons previously where he doesn’t get back from a soft tissue injury. I’m liking seeing what McLean is bringing in Reid’s absence.

How far is Melican away? Was playing well before injured. Will his return put pressure on Fox.

On Hewitt, is there a good Fremantle match up for him? If not would the run of Stephens he handy on a big Perth deck?

Out Bell
    In Stephens

Hewett to play on Brayshaw/Cerra
    Rampe on Fyfe
    Cunningham on Walters
    Blakey and McLean forward Ruck.

We have good continuity in our middle now - Parker Kennedy Mills Warner Rowbottom Hewett Mcinerney Florent

We need the same in forward half - we are ranked as the top pressure team in forward half.

Hayward even though doesn’t get a lot of love, he is a good Mark and should remain in the team and Wicks is having a good presence. We do need a fit and firing Buddy and it may come only with repeated games under his belt.

Hewett is so important to our team, and so incredibly underrated by fans.
    He'll get the resting midfielder. Sometimes this will be Dusty or Pendles, who spend 60% or more up front. Or it will be like this weekend, where Fyfe, Mundy etc so cycle through in shorter bursts.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Hewett is so important to our team, and so incredibly underrated by fans.
    He'll get the resting midfielder. Sometimes this will be Dusty or Pendles, who spend 60% or more up front. Or it will be like this weekend, where Fyfe, Mundy etc so cycle through in shorter bursts.
    Not underrated by me he is a very important piece in our team structure.
    I understand that some people feel that run with players don’t do a lot for the game and that they would prefer to see good players flourish and rack up disposals etc but that’s not me !
    Often it’s what the better opposition players don’t, or are unable to do that is the key to winning and as long as the tagger is playing within the rules that’s fine by me.
    An often under appreciated role by watchers of the game ( and possibly opposition supporters) but I would guarantee it’s appreciated by coaches and team mates.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Not underrated by me he is a very important piece in our team structure.
    I understand that some people feel that run with players don’t do a lot for the game and that they would prefer to see good players flourish and rack up disposals etc but that’s not me !
    Often it’s what the better opposition players don’t, or are unable to do that is the key to winning and as long as the tagger is playing within the rules that’s fine by me.
    An often under appreciated role by watchers of the game ( and possibly opposition supporters) but I would guarantee it’s appreciated by coaches and team mates.
    Glad to see a few people backing up Hewett. Deserves to stay in the top 18 in my book.

And I agree with SwanSand about Hayward. It should be easy for his team mates to yell when he's hot - aren't they doing this?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

When Hewett has done the "tagging" role, he seems to have done it by just being close marking and accountable. The proof is that he has often had as many (or more) disposals than his opponent.

Some taggers just block and scrag and hassle, which is annoying to watch, and must be infuriating to the opponent.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    We'll back them right off: Swans young guns sidelined with stress reactions

This article focuses on Campbell and Gulden's injuries, but also mentioned other selection news, including how Franklin will be travelling to Perth for "continuity".
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast