Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 10 V Freo.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    When Hewett has done the "tagging" role, he seems to have done it by just being close marking and accountable. The proof is that he has often had as many (or more) disposals than his opponent.

Some taggers just block and scrag and hassle, which is annoying to watch, and must be infuriating to the opponent.
    Agreed and I have often thought that George wins his battles by outworking and outsmarting his tag.
    Definitely an under appreciated role by many

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Agreed and I have often thought that George wins his battles by outworking and outsmarting his tag.
    Definitely an under appreciated role by many
    i agree but when he starts running around in diminishing circles trying to decide to who to give it off to is almost like watching the Leaping Leo kamikazee runs out of the backline - heart in the mouth stuff

Senior Player
    But and this is important he has the ball ?
    Rather that our player has the ball and has an incorrect disposal than we don’t touch the ball at all

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    i agree but when he starts running around in diminishing circles trying to decide to who to give it off to is almost like watching the Leaping Leo kamikazee runs out of the backline - heart in the mouth stuff
    I don't agree. While Georgie has got caught HTB in defence a couple of times this season, generally, when he has the ball I feel really confident he is going to use it well. He's very composed. It's one his great strengths in my opinion. If I think about Hewett's weaknesses, it's more that he isn't particularly quick or good against an aerial threat (this latter is particularly where he suffers in comparison to Mills playing the same role).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Does anyone feel that on the big Perth deck that we should bring in the run of Stephens for Wicks?

This would be purely a horses for course selection. You could rotate Florent and Parker up forward to add something in the small forward roll.

Franklin, McLean, Haywood, Heeney and Papley are all good with their defensive pressure and do stick their tackles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Does anyone feel that on the big Perth deck that we should bring in the run of Stephens for Wicks?

This would be purely a horses for course selection. You could rotate Florent and Parker up forward to add something in the small forward roll.

Franklin, McLean, Haywood, Heeney and Papley are all good with their defensive pressure and do stick their tackles.
    No, but I do like the idea of bringing in Stephens for Bell as the medical sub (if we can afford for Stephens to miss the development he'll get out of a game in the Reserves (which he probably needs more than Bell)).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post

Wicks had more tackles inside 50 than anyone ! He needs to use it better but if you are talking about those who are good with defensive pressure its silly to leave him out !

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    In the mix, R10: Who's pushing for selection, who's under the pump?
    This is speculating on no changes to the starting 22.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Wicks had more tackles inside 50 than anyone ! He needs to use it better but if you are talking about those who are good with defensive pressure its silly to leave him out !
    Every time I watch the highlights I see Wicks setting up a goal with an elite use of the ball under incredible pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I read an article today - on the AFL site? SEN? can't remember - that confirmed Buddy would be travelling to Perth because he needs some continuity. It suggested that had he not missed a few weeks with his recent bone bruising, he might have been rested for this game.

Unless Reid is available (unlikely) I don't see any need for any changes. There were a handful of players in the reserves side who did enough to suggest they are ready if required, but none that screamed "pick me".

(With the possible exception of COR, who I thought was one of the very best of the reserves side, despite not getting a mention in the official bests lists. But then I thought he was a bit stiff to drop out for the Pies game. But the only one he might come in for is George. Is there a specific Pendlebury-type role that they think suits George? If not, what is his role in the team? I am not convinced by his general play as a defender, and I think Fox is now occupying the spot he started the season holding down. I rate him as a player, just don't think he adds a whole heap to our defence, and has been squeezed out of the slow-midfield-brigade by the switch of Mills. Can COR come in and provide a bit more run out of defence? He didn't really do this against the Dees, which may have cost him his spot. But he did plenty of it against the Pies reserves side on Saturday.)
    I thought COR's game highly serviceable, not spectacular. I thought Gould was our best backman. Clarke, Stephens and Amartey are pushing the door down. If McLean was not doing so well Amartey would be in there.

The backs were a very tight good unit. I didn't think there was a real standout other than Gould because of his, ability to break up the game. Hebron was really good, so was COR. They played their role really well.

I am probably going to agree with you on no changes except that we might like to take Stephens along as an emergency in case we decide to actually match them for pace. That is the one area that we can maybe tweek and get a better match up. But in the main we should be too tall and experienced for them up forward.

Taverner is their only real key forward and I think McCartin can handle him. Against Melbourne I thought we were one tall back down. But unlike most sides Dees play three genuine talks forward. But the existing backs will be OK against Freo.

I think we are not too afraid of the new arena. We put Eagles to the sword in the first game played there. It is designed on the G so will suit our running game. I hope we bring our best.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Every time I watch the highlights I see Wicks setting up a goal with an elite use of the ball under incredible pressure.
    He does some silly things sometimes but yes he does good things too . He is surprising me more every week.

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Out Bell
    In Stephens

Hewett to play on Brayshaw/Cerra
    Rampe on Fyfe
    Cunningham on Walters
    Blakey and McLean forward Ruck.

We have good continuity in our middle now - Parker Kennedy Mills Warner Rowbottom Hewett Mcinerney Florent

We need the same in forward half - we are ranked as the top pressure team in forward half.

Hayward even though doesn’t get a lot of love, he is a good Mark and should remain in the team and Wicks is having a good presence. We do need a fit and firing Buddy and it may come only with repeated games under his belt.
    Will we ever see Buddy firing on all eight cylinders? I'm ot sure we will. He might end up just a role player in his final year/s. He looks to have lost a metre of pace. His, strength is not what it was. Years ago he just would have pushed Maynard out of the way andoutmarkwd him. There wasn't too much of that I know he has had an injury, I mean he has had soft tissue injuries for the last 3 seasons.

I think next year we should move on from Bud and look to the future. Swansong this year to psobably arguably the greatest forward ever and the third best player ever. He has given us the @@@@s when playing for Hawks and the shivers when playing for the Swans. But one thing he has done every time he stepped over that white line, is entertained.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast