Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2016 Grand Final

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    I would like to know who Beveridge thinks are the clubs that whinged? It says in the above article that the Swans didn't make an issue of it. I felt our club was remarkably restrained in its response to the umpiring. Anyone know which clubs he's talking about? Perhaps GWS is one because they were screwed over the week before we were.

Senior Player
    To my mind this is the most pertinent quote from this article
    “Overall, the Western Bulldogs received 20 free kicks to the Swans’ eight. The differential of 12 was the biggest in a Grand Final since the three-umpire system was introduced in 1994.”
    What a great gift for any team in a grand final ! Either we played dirty or we had the dirty done to us

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    To my mind this is the most pertinent quote from this article
    “Overall, the Western Bulldogs received 20 free kicks to the Swans’ eight. The differential of 12 was the biggest in a Grand Final since the three-umpire system was introduced in 1994.”
    What a great gift for any team in a grand final ! Either we played dirty or we had the dirty done to us
    At one stage in the game, it was 20-4. We did have a few passengers however and we missed a few set shots early that could have set us up. Jack missed one but should have been paid 50 metres after Wood cleaned him up. Would have been a gimme.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    I would like to know who Beveridge thinks are the clubs that whinged? It says in the above article that the Swans didn't make an issue of it. I felt our club was remarkably restrained in its response to the umpiring. Anyone know which clubs he's talking about? Perhaps GWS is one because they were screwed over the week before we were.
    I don't know, but didn't we play them in round 2 of 2017 and got totally screwed again.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Clarko had a big public sook about it after the Hawks got done by the Dogs.

I will always remember the Dogs as a "Throwball Team " rather than a football team.

I despised them on that day back in 2016 and I will always be the same until the end.

Don't know what he's moaning about... they were gifted the granny
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Everyone knows the ‘Dogs were gifted that Premiership. The video made by the “Free-kick Hawthorn” crew is still floating about on YouTube. It’s depressing viewing. Our club was amazingly restrained afterwards, made no complaints and just sucked it up. I am firmly of the opinion that what happened in that game was a major cause of our 0-6 start in 2017. The complete lack of interest in those early rounds is startling, culminating in the uninvolved loss to Carlton; the players were just going through the motions. The loss of Dan Hannebery early in the last quarter had a major impact on the outcome of the GF, and he’s never been the same player since. Poor bloke didn’t even get a free kick. Of all the ‘Dogs players, the one I despise the most is Wood, he lined Hannebery up with the complete intent to take him out, the incident happening right in front of us. Karma will bite him on the bum one day, possibly soon. The ‘Dogs may legitimately challenge for the Flag this year, which if they manage to win might go some way to removing the shadow of the illegitimate 2016 Premiership. They know they were given that GF. It would be sad for Wood if he missed a real win due to another soft tissue injury.

Yep. 2016 was a travesty. But we won 2005 and 2012, after I had spent much of my adult life believing I would die without ever seeing a single Swans Premiership, let alone two. So I forgive them.

But.... I do believe they need to do something about the HTB rule. I just think it should go back to the original rule that said you had to "immediately" get rid of the ball (as per the actual definition in the book) - if you get tackled and take more than a second to dispose of it correctly, its a free. Make the players work harder to keep the ball moving, even if you get the "seagull players" hanging around waiting for someone else to pick up the pill before applying a tackle. Still more likely to keep the ball in movement rather than forever throwing it up again!

Quote Originally Posted by HeeneyIsAGun View Post
    But.... I do believe they need to do something about the HTB rule. I just think it should go back to the original rule that said you had to "immediately" get rid of the ball (as per the actual definition in the book) - if you get tackled and take more than a second to dispose of it correctly, its a free. Make the players work harder to keep the ball moving, even if you get the "seagull players" hanging around waiting for someone else to pick up the pill before applying a tackle. Still more likely to keep the ball in movement rather than forever throwing it up again!
    Cough cough, I think that’s what Clarkson said ........

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    The last losing Swans grandfinal I saw was in '96, and I didn't enjoy it much. Since then I've been very lucky, I got to see both wins, but not the '06, '14 or the '16 grandfinal losses.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12