Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 10: the other games. Who do we draw a line through?

Round 10: the other games. Who do we draw a line through?

At a press conference today, Nathan Buckley essentially drew a line through Collingwood's finals chance, by conveying the message, that was more or less; yeah, we've had a good run with finals recently, but now we're resetting. Which had me wondering, who else might be saying goodbye to their finals hopes this weekend.

Tonight's match between Brisbane and Richmond, only has an indirect influence on that scenario; in that, if Richmond win, the bottom team of the eight will be on 6/4. Which will be hard to bridge the gap to, if you've slipped to 3/7. Don't really know who I'd prefer to win that game. On the one hand, if Richmond win, we have a chance of overtaking Brisbane. On the other hand, I'm a bit over Richmond's success.

The early match on Saturday is Carlton v Hawthorn. About ten days ago, Kennett drew a line through Hawthorn's finals chances, by reminiscing on the success of past rebuilds. The players then responded by losing to North. Though of course, if the players have been stung enough by that loss, to come out and produce an upset win over Carlton, then that would probably be an end to Carlton's hopes. Almost enough to have me barracking for Hawthorn. Almost.

The next game is Geelong taking on Gold Coast at the cattery. Don't know what's happened to the Gold Coast side that beat us convincingly, but they better come back this weekend, or else they'll also be at 3/7 and another line will be drawn. While Geelong are short priced favourites at $1.07, I think there's some chance of an upset. Or more accurately, I think the two most likely results are either a Geelong win by 50 plus, or a narrow and stirring Suns victory: depending on how overconfident the Cats are and how desperate the Suns are. Actually, I could probably write almost the exact same thing for the Saturday twilight game: Adelaide v Melbourne.

On Saturday night, we venture to Perth to play Fremantle. The Perth weather forecast for Saturday is rain, rain and more rain. Which might suit us. What I've been most impressed with recently, is our forward pressure. So in the wet conditions, I can see Wicks, Heeney, Papley, etc, keeping the ball in the forward fifty, until we get a score. Alternately, at the other end, for a long time, we've been pretty good at scrambling the ball away from trouble.

The other night game is Western Bulldogs v St Kilda. Earlier in the week, Beveridge made some odd comments about holding the ball. So let's just hope, that the rule of the week is a crackdown on illegal disposal.

The first Sunday game is GWS v West Coast. Should be an absorbing struggle. Can GWS win without Greene? Can West Coast beat a decent side away from Perth?

The next game is Collingwood v Port Adelaide. Maybe Buckley was trying some reverse psychology, by writing off their finals chances? If so, I doubt it will work. Perhaps a better motivator would have been a little wager on the game? As in, the winner gets to wear black and white next season. While the loser has to wear the Hawthorn charity jersey of a few year's back: the one where they boldly mixed their traditional brown, with lurid pink. I think the official shades of that monstrosity were bubblegum and turd?

The final match is Essendon v North. Can't really see North winning two in a row, but if they do, it will be time to get out the texta again. Actually, do people still use the term, texta?
    Last edited by dejavoodoo44; 21st May 2021 at 06:15 PM.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Of the other games, I want to see Hawthorn win this week. Not because I do anything other than hate Hawthorn, but the thought of Carlton losing to the Hawks the week after the Hawks lost to North - well, that would be just hilarious.

Oh, and if the Bulldogs could lose from a kick after the siren following a free kick paid against them for incorrect disposal, that would be a joy to witness. The only thing that would make it better is if the free kick was incorrectly paid after a Bulldog player had actually handballed for the first time in three years.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Of the other games, I want to see Hawthorn win this week. Not because I do anything other than hate Hawthorn, but the thought of Carlton losing to the Hawks the week after the Hawks lost to North - well, that would be just hilarious.

Oh, and if the Bulldogs could lose from a kick after the siren following a free kick paid against them for incorrect disposal, that would be a joy to witness. The only thing that would make it better is if the free kick was incorrectly paid after a Bulldog player had actually handballed for the first time in three years.
    And in his desperation to get the ball away, Libba clatters into the shin of Bontempelli, unfortunately causing a season ending injury.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    And in his desperation to get the ball away, Libba clatters into the shin of Bontempelli, unfortunately causing a season ending injury.
    Yes! My kind of man. It'd be better if Easton Wood did it, but he's out injured.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Yes! My kind of man. It'd be better if Easton Wood did it, but he's out injured.
    Although, despite being an atheist, I can't help thinking that we might be revving up the karma bus.

Veteran Site Admin

I wish our "like" button worked.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I wish our "like" button worked.
    I never did the experiment.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    For me, the most interesting non-Swans game is Power v Collingwood. Would love to see Port smash the Pies and give them - and Eddie! - further grief!

With McGuire unsurprisingly resorting to threats and personal insults in the Power prison bar jumper stoush, it would be great to see him suffer!

Yes please on both accounts - but in particular the 2nd one please!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    For me, the most interesting non-Swans game is Power v Collingwood. Would love to see Port smash the Pies and give them - and Eddie! - further grief!

With McGuire unsurprisingly resorting to threats and personal insults in the Power prison bar jumper stoush, it would be great to see him suffer!
    6.15 from Montmorency.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Senior Player
    Enjoyed the Lions comeback and convincing win last night. Looked like they were enjoying themselves, good to see.

Strange (not really) though that all the media focus is on "the Tigers lost, what should they do now" rather than "didn't the Lions do well".

The Carlton v Hawthorn game is pretty entertaining. I'm not taking sides and am enjoying the game. But. What a shame that Eddie McGuire can make enjoyment so painful. If Napoleon could be sent into exile, why can't something be done about McGuire?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast