Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 11 v Carlton

Senior Player

Changes for Round 11 v Carlton

Shall we kick this off?

OUT: Fox, Blakey, McLean
    IN: Brand, McInerney, Amartey

I'd like to bring Logan in, but we need to find ruck relief. It's pretty clear they don't want to play McLean at centre bounces, so Amartey plays.

I do wonder if they're thinking about bringing Grey or Taylor in for Wicks, who went quiet after he missed that set shot. I think there's still an opportunity there for Ronke, when he returns (maybe to the VFL side this week?).

In the post-game press conference, John seemed to think Hickey may play this week. I suspect they're planning to bring Naismith to give Hickey a rest, but Sam seems to need a few more games.

Heading up the highway to watch this one in person on Sunday, for the first time this year.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    One, McInerney will come back. I’d give Chad a managed rest, as he hasn’t been as effective the last couple of weeks. That’s ok. He’s young, it’s a long season. A week off, plus it allows Stephens to settle in for another game, which I think will do him some good.

I’d then give Blakey a run in the twos for a bit to settle him down. I’d bring McDonald in if his seconds form suggests he’s refreshed a bit, and use McLean more as second ruck where necessary and it gives our forward line more structure.

The third possible change may be Melican. I get he’s no superstar, but we’re a tall defender short, and that leaves either Fox on the outer, or Hewett pushes into the midfield to tag Walsh, Heeney plays more forward - whereas at the moment he’s 50-50 onball and forward - and Hayward comes out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Shall we kick this off?

OUT: Fox, Blakey, McLean
    IN: Brand, McInerney, Amartey

I'd like to bring Logan in, but we need to find ruck relief. It's pretty clear they don't want to play McLean at centre bounces, so Amartey plays.

I do wonder if they're thinking about bringing Grey or Taylor in for Wicks, who went quiet after he missed that set shot. I think there's still an opportunity there for Ronke, when he returns (maybe to the VFL side this week?).

In the post-game press conference, John seemed to think Hickey may play this week. I suspect they're planning to bring Naismith to give Hickey a rest, but Sam seems to need a few more games.

Heading up the highway to watch this one in person on Sunday, for the first time this year.
    Knee jerk reaction to drop McLean after one ordinary game.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Knee jerk reaction to drop McLean after one ordinary game.
    OK BF, who do think will back up hobbled Hickey/underdone Naismith/Sinclair next weekend?

Warming the Bench
    out. mclean,hickey,blakey,fox

in. naismith,goold,mcinerney,mcdonald
    forgotten 1996
    2005 a much sweeter memory,2012 even better

If Longmire can be believed in his post-game presser, Hickey will be fine to play.

I'm not sure what to do with McLean. He probably deserves a game to redeem himself but he was easily beaten yesterday. He couldn't clunk any contested marks and allowed his direct opponents to take several.

Blakey is a concern. He needs to get back to doing the basics before he tries the spectacular. I don't like him being used in the ruck either. Sam Reid really is a missing piece isn't he?

In: McInerney
    Out: Blakey

I could be convinced for these too:

Potential Ins: McDonald, Amartey
    Potential Outs: Hayward, McLean

McLean had a terrible game on the weekend. But he played an important structural role - he really prevented Cox from having a large impact on the game as an intercepting defender. If you haven't watched Freo much, you might not appreciate how good he and Ryan have been for them.
    Whilst I wish he could have at least broken even on many marking contests, he is important to the structure and stays.

Blakey played a similar role in negating Ryan. But, his time with the footy in hand was was terrible. Would happily swap for McDonald this week.

If Melican is right, he's in for Fox. Similarly McInerney for one of the young mids - likely Stephens unless another needs a break.

Suspended by the MRP
    Amartey Bell McInerney McDonald

Blakey Wicks Rowbottom Hayward

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post

You have just been waiting for a week where all 4 of those fail to fire haven't you lol xD

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    McLean had a terrible game on the weekend. But he played an important structural role - he really prevented Cox from having a large impact on the game as an intercepting defender. If you haven't watched Freo much, you might not appreciate how good he and Ryan have been for them.
    Whilst I wish he could have at least broken even on many marking contests, he is important to the structure and stays.

Blakey played a similar role in negating Ryan. But, his time with the footy in hand was was terrible. Would happily swap for McDonald this week.

If Melican is right, he's in for Fox. Similarly McInerney for one of the young mids - likely Stephens unless another needs a break.
    Disagree that Cox was prevented from having a large impact on the game - Cox's dominance over McLean was decisive. Cox had a game-high five contested marks and I don't think Hayden brought the ball to ground once. It was an absolute bath.

Generally speaking, options for the second tall are: Reid, McLean, McDonald, Sinclair, Amartey. With our number 1 rucks hobbled and back-up options otherwise few (they've tried Blakey, Fox and even Dawson), we really need that second tall to ruck at the moment.

They don't seem to want Hayden to ruck.

Given all of that, they might turn to Amartey. Otherwise, aside from selecting Sinclair (who's reached Dean Towers status re selection), I can't see who else will back up Hickey.

I'm assuming Fox is injured and can't play this game.

In: COR, Brand, McDonald, Clarke, McInerney
    Out: Fox, Blakey, McLean, Hewett, Stephens

I'm preferring Clarke to Hewett for the tagging job on Walsh, mainly due to Walsh's great aerobic running, which Clarke is best suited to match.

If Hickey needs a spell, then Sinclair can take his place.

Brand can follow one of Carlton's tall forwards into the ruck when it's their turn to replace Pittonet, so it's a tall from both sides that goes out of their forward line and we don't have to use a forward for ruck relief.

Longmire's game plan of bringing pressure and good things will follow applies to Carlton more than any other team. They make plenty of disposal errors and their midfield doesn't like to defend. So they are easily scored on from turnovers. It's a simple path to victory, but we have to show up and do it on the day.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post

Rowbottom out? HaHaHaHaHaJHahAhaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaH aHaHaHa........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........................

Man STOP trolling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast