Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round 11: the other games. Indigenous round (well, sort of).

Round 11: the other games. Indigenous round (well, sort of).

Looking through the draw, I wondered why the Richmond v Essendon, Dreamtime at the G match, wasn't scheduled this week. Doing a small amount of research, I discovered that it's on next week and that Indigenous Round now stretches over two rounds. Couldn't find a justification for that, but I suppose if they get a crowd next week, then the AFL will feel chuffed with their decision (even if the reasons may be entirely unrelated to coronavirus).

One game that deserves more than an empty stadium, is tonight's top of the table clash between the Demons and the Bulldogs. Personally, I really think that we're long overdue for a crackdown on illegal disposals, so, go the Demons.

The first Saturday game is Collingwood v Geelong. I guess the lockout will save many Collingwood fans the dilemma, of whether to go to the MCG, to barrack for an upset win, or whether to stay at home to dream of draft picks? Actually, I just remembered, Collingwood don't really have draft picks, do they?

The next game is Brisbane v GWS. The odds suggest that the brave GWS fans who will make the trip to the Gabba, may end up thinking that they would've preferred a lockout.

Next up is St Kilda v North. Maybe with this one, the AFL are pleased that there's a lockout. Otherwise, there may have been a soulless spectacle, in front of about 10,000 dissatisfied customers.

On Saturday night at the SCG, there's Gold Coast v Hawthorn. Not entirely sure why it's not at the originally planned Darwin venue, or for that matter, at Carrara, since Gold Coast are theoretically the home side, but I assume that it has something to do with coronavirus restrictions. Hopefully, it will have a better atmosphere than an empty stadium, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

The other Saturday night game is West Coast v Essendon. With West Coast's home form, it seems almost unfair, that this game will have a near capacity crowd.

The first Sunday game is Richmond v Adelaide, which will be played at Giants stadium. Might actually be an entertaining spectacle, for those who venture out there. Adelaide showed a lot of spirit, when upsetting Melbourne last week, while Richmond will be desperate not to slip further out of the eight. At very least, those attending will get to see the two best indigenous jumpers of the round (in my humble opinion).

At 3.20 pm, we play Carlton. It's possibly a shame that the Hawthorn match isn't a curtain raiser for this, as I think many people would've enjoyed saying goodbye to mopily departing Hawthorn fans. But anyway, many of us may be more interested in the possibility of a Buddy v Harry shootout.

The final game is Port v Fremantle. I'd like to think that Fremantle could replicate their home form, away from home, but I have absolutely no confidence.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Hard to get excited by much here, so just my usual wish - lots of season-ending injuries to Bulldog players.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Senior Player
    I've enjoyed watching the Demons this year, so it's unfortunate that I'll have to see the Dogs too if I want to watch them tonight.

Almost tempted by Hawks/Suns at the SCG just for the novelty factor. But I think I'll save my strength for the main event on Sunday. We always enjoy going to the Marn Grook game. Last family outing to a Blues game Buddy kicked 10, so a repeat of that would do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I've enjoyed watching the Demons this year, so it's unfortunate that I'll have to see the Dogs too if I want to watch them tonight.

Almost tempted by Hawks/Suns at the SCG just for the novelty factor. But I think I'll save my strength for the main event on Sunday. We always enjoy going to the Marn Grook game. Last family outing to a Blues game Buddy kicked 10, so a repeat of that would do just fine.
    A Buddy bag would be fun. Would perhaps increase my optimism, of him getting a thousand before the end of the season.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Looking through the draw, I wondered why the Richmond v Essendon, Dreamtime at the G match, wasn't scheduled this week. Doing a small amount of research, I discovered that it's on next week and that Indigenous Round now stretches over two rounds. Couldn't find a justification for that, but I suppose if they get a crowd next week, then the AFL will feel chuffed with their decision (even if the reasons may be entirely unrelated to coronavirus).
    I think it's so each team gets to play in front of their home crowd over the 2 rounds. Although that hasn't worked out for the Victorian games this week.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I think it's so each team gets to play in front of their home crowd over the 2 rounds. Although that hasn't worked out for the Victorian games this week.
    And almost certainly won't next. I think the AFL will start making non-Melbourne arrangements for next weekend pretty early this week. Even if the outbreak seems to be under control somewhat by midweek (ie little, if any, community transmission beyond close contacts already in isolation), I doubt the Victorian government will allow crowds at footy games next weekend.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Take that Pups! Let's hope tonight is just the start of the Bulldogs slide down the ladder.

Veterans List
    Yes, Melbourne were excellent tonight....just basically strangled the Fairypups. I enjoyed it although it didn't stop the umpires giving them a ride at times. The usual....throws and non existent holding the ball. At one point, a Dogs player was tackled and spun completely around then basically just let go of the ball, the umpire shouts "knocked free in the tackle".....then the spilled ball is jumped on by a Dee who is immediately beset upon and the umpire says "Holding the ball, you had prior". I nearly sprayed my mouthful of drink across the room. It's soooo frustrating to watch. If we were treated in the same way, we'd be damn near unbeatable.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Yes, Melbourne were excellent tonight....just basically strangled the Fairypups. I enjoyed it although it didn't stop the umpires giving them a ride at times. The usual....throws and non existent holding the ball. At one point, a Dogs player was tackled and spun completely around then basically just let go of the ball, the umpire shouts "knocked free in the tackle".....then the spilled ball is jumped on by a Dee who is immediately beset upon and the umpire says "Holding the ball, you had prior". I nearly sprayed my mouthful of drink across the room. It's soooo frustrating to watch. If we were treated in the same way, we'd be damn near unbeatable.
    Yes I agree that was possibly one of the most befuddling passages of play during the game.absolutely no idea how that decision was arrived at.
    And the decision to use taped crowd noise is ridiculous especially when it’s obviously dictated by what the commentators say. At one stage they weren’t sure about a shot and while the players were already celebrating they then called it a goal at which time all of a sudden there was a sudden burst of cheering on the telecast.
    We can see the ground is empty and so why bother trying to add artificial atmosphere ? It’s insulting and detracts from the actual game

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    And the decision to use taped crowd noise is ridiculous especially when it’s obviously dictated by what the commentators say. At one stage they weren’t sure about a shot and while the players were already celebrating they then called it a goal at which time all of a sudden there was a sudden burst of cheering on the telecast.
    We can see the ground is empty and so why bother trying to add artificial atmosphere ? It’s insulting and detracts from the actual game
    The taped crowd noise could have been done a lot better. The main problem is the lag time.

I would have placed a couple of cameras behind the goals, with the cameras' feed going to a couple of fans of the sides, who can press the appropriate buttons. This would fix a lot of the issues with the timing.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Another goalless quarter for Collingwood!

And yet another goalless quarter for Collingwood!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast