Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 12 vs St Kilda

Out: Sinkers, McLean, Taylor (sub)
    In: Hickey, Amartey, Fox (sub)

I'd be tempted to leave Stephens in to build some consistency and confidence in his game. No-one else deserves to be dropped imo.

If Hickey comes back then surely McLean goes out and Sinkers plays second ruck/fwd.

Give Stephens more time. I think he needs to #believe he belongs.

Fox in is an interesting one. I’d like to keep Brand which means someone else has to go out and my finger is hovering over Hewett

Out: Marvel Stadium
    In: SCG or Cairns
    Surely they could just swap with the home game v St Kilda later in the season. We Victorian members don’t want to lose another game.

In Hickey McDonald
    Out Stephens McLean

Sinclair to forward / ruck. Plenty of midfield depth to cover Stephens, can even rotate Heeney and Papley through. Agree he seems too timid at the contest, just doesn't find the ball.

McDonald straight swap for McLean.

A lot of the criticism on McLean is really missguided. He has clearly been given the task of nullifying the impact of the key intercept defenders over the past few weeks. Weitering had minimal impact on the game on the weekend.

I think he could do better in bringing the ball to ground more over the past fortnight. But it's not as simple to say "he's not marking it enough" or "he's not leading well" without looking through the lens of the role he's been given.
    The work guys like him and Wicks do, allow for players like Buddy, Heeney and Papley to play freely and not defensively minded.

I don't think McDonald is ready yet to command a player like Weitering or Cox or Moore.

Having said all of that.. If there was ever a fortnight to drop him, and bring in McDonald for a burst, it's now. The Saints and Hawks don't have any players remotely capable of intercept marking. So his structural role won't be as crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    A lot of the criticism on McLean is really missguided. He has clearly been given the task of nullifying the impact of the key intercept defenders over the past few weeks. Weitering had minimal impact on the game on the weekend.

I think he could do better in bringing the ball to ground more over the past fortnight. But it's not as simple to say "he's not marking it enough" or "he's not leading well" without looking through the lens of the role he's been given.
    The work guys like him and Wicks do, allow for players like Buddy, Heeney and Papley to play freely and not defensively minded.

I don't think McDonald is ready yet to command a player like Weitering or Cox or Moore.

Having said all of that.. If there was ever a fortnight to drop him, and bring in McDonald for a burst, it's now. The Saints and Hawks don't have any players remotely capable of intercept marking. So his structural role won't be as crucial.
    You make a valid point re McLean. He covers alot of territory and has done a great job on some of the best intercept marks in the league, like Andrews, Lever and Weitering.

I'll change my outs to Sinclair and Stephens with McDonald and Hickey to come in. McLean can provide the chop out to Hickey.

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    Out: Marvel Stadium
    In: SCG or Cairns
    Surely they could just swap with the home game v St Kilda later in the season. We Victorian members don’t want to lose another game.
    That would be the sensible solution. So the odds are that the AFL won't do that.

In Hickey if he is fit, out Sinclair (Who I thought improved yesterday a lot). Alternatively, could have McLean come out - although I agree with some others that he is playing a role most weeks for the team, even if the personal stats are limited.

Stephens probably on notice but stays in for mine for now.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

If Hickey is fit, then he comes in for Sinkers. I'm okay with Sinkers, but he is our 3rd ruckman and not quite good enough to be the #2 forward. If he were a developing young forward, I would take a different view, but there's little to be gained playing Sinkers as a forward when we have 3 developing key forwards in McLean, Amartey and McDonald needing developing time. I would rather save the spot for one of them. I would be more patient with McLean, except that we have others waiting to take a turn in the seniors. The way McLean performed the past 2 games, we could hardly do worse regardless who we bring in to replace him. Maybe another combo will work better with Franklin. Worth a look.

If Fox comes in, I don't think it should be for Brand, who played well and we need the height. I would like to give Stephens another week, but he would be the one to drop if we want to include Fox.

Veterans List
    Oooh, hand wringing at Match Committee again this week. Think they'll go minimal changes.

IF Hickey is well, bring him back.
    Still leave Blakey out.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast