Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 12: the other games. Indigenous Round - part 2.

Round 12: the other games. Indigenous Round - part 2.

I suppose that the AFL would have been very pleased with their decision to split Indigenous Round in to two rounds, if they got lucky and were able to play Dreamtime at the G, at the G. But unfortunately, that didn't pan out and the Essendon v Richmond game will be played in Perth on Saturday. Not to worry: I suspect that with the lighting available at Optus, there will be some sort of spectacular celebrations.

The first game of the round, is one of three to be played in Sydney: Melbourne v Brisbane at Giants. Let's hope that it gets something like a decent crowd; as I can't see it being anything other than a close and tough encounter between two quality sides. And I bear no ill will towards either side. In fact, if we don't win the premiership, then I wouldn't mind either of these two winning.

The first Saturday game is also in Sydney, when we take on St Kilda. Strangely, despite some horrendous losses, St Kilda are still some sort of chance of making the eight. Let's just hope we focus on that, rather than becoming complacent, after taking note of their capitulations.

The next game is Adelaide at home to Collingwood. Even though it's 15th v 16th, it seems like Adelaide have been performing much better of the two, and should inflict further misery on Collingwood. And speaking of Collingwood misery, there was an article on the AFL site, which suggested that there's more salary cap pain to come for the Pies. Which makes me wonder, just by how much have been over the cap in the past?

The Saturday night game is the aforementioned Essendon v Richmond clash. Let's hope that Perth can put on a decent celebration, as I do think that the AFL has something to celebrate, with the high level of indigenous involvement in the game. Although, it's probably time to expand that involvement, from largely just players, and into coaching, management and officialdom.

It's back to the SCG again for the first Sunday game, between Carlton and West Coast. Carlton are clear favourites for this at $1.56. Which is probably fair enough, as West Coast are injury ridden and have been generally terrible away from Perth, while if Carlton don't win, then they have very little chance of getting their star studded side into the eight.

The final match is Fremantle v Western Bulldogs. The Bulldogs are pretty short at $1.39, but I can sense an upset brewing. Fremantle are pretty good at home and the large partisan crowd, may be able to convince the umpires to award a few illegal disposal frees.

And by the way, Geelong, Gold Coast, GWS, Port, Hawthorn and North all have byes. Which means that Hawthorn and North supporters, should be able to enjoy the round a bit more than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Fremantle are pretty good at home and the large partisan crowd, may be able to convince the umpires to award a few illegal disposal frees.
    Don't be too sure! There was recently an article that showed the Bulldogs lead all comers for free kicks. We are mid-table. And Richmond is distant last.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

What I love about Vic lockdowns is it shows the AFL that hosting marquee games outside of Victoria actually works, and the game is better for it.

Senior Player
    I have been cheering the Lions (Melbourne team < non-Melbourne team), but a Demons win helps our top 4 chances.

Senior Player
    We certainly have the potential to be better than Brisbane by the end of the year. I think we can take their midfield and match-up well at either end.

Senior Player
    Impressive second half from the Demons coming back from 20 points down. They have a pretty good form line and our loss to them was a good effort based on how they have easily handled the other teams in the eight.
    I agree that we match up well against Brisbane especially if we can return to the way we played against them in round 1.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    If we don't win the premiership this year, I hope the Demons do. I have a few long-suffering in-laws who are Melbourne supporters. They're really nervous this year because they haven't seen their side play this well. I keep telling them, just sit back and enjoy the season.

The Richmond-Essendon Dreamtime game will attract a good crowd no matter where it is played.

Hawthorn and North Melbourne supporters are going to spend their week off looking at the fixture seeing when they play the other bottom-four sides. Hawthorn play Adelaide in round 20 and Collingwood in round 21, but that's as good as it gets. North Melbourne have Adelaide in round 23. The supporters could also spend their time getting acquainted with the prospects for the 2021 draft and speculating who they would draft with picks 1 and 2. That seems a better use of their time than watching their sides losing.

Carlton and West Coast will be interesting, but only for Carlton supporters. West Coast haven't won at the SCG since 1998. With their injuries, that is unlikely to change, even against the spoon collectors.

Adelaide and Collingwood is 15th vs 16th as was pointed out, but on form feels more like a game between two sides with about six other sides between them.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Impressive second half from the Demons coming back from 20 points down. They have a pretty good form line and our loss to them was a good effort based on how they have easily handled the other teams in the eight.
    I agree that we match up well against Brisbane especially if we can return to the way we played against them in round 1.
    I watched some of the Swans vs Melbourne game to check what we did that did not allow them to score heavily against us. And Boy, I was impressed with what I saw in that context. We were really good with preventing ground ball gets in forward half, prevented them from marking by providing aerial contests, and generally had a ok plan to move the ball forward. Ben Brown was good in air then but the rest we held easily. Looking at that game I thought our young team applied well and they were coached well. This gives me hope that if we reach the finals we have a chance of winning a game or two.
    Demons are the full package this year.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    I watched some of the Swans vs Melbourne game to check what we did that did not allow them to score heavily against us. And Boy, I was impressed with what I saw in that context. We were really good with preventing ground ball gets in forward half, prevented them from marking by providing aerial contests, and generally had a ok plan to move the ball forward. Ben Brown was good in air then but the rest we held easily. Looking at that game I thought our young team applied well and they were coached well. This gives me hope that if we reach the finals we have a chance of winning a game or two.
    Demons are the full package this year.
    Yes it was impressive and if there is such a thing as a good loss that was one in my opinion. The tackles in forward 50 was 35-15 in our favour and we were on top in most statistical categories including having one more scoring shot.
    James and Callum laid 22 tackles between them which put terrific pressure on the ball use of the demons
    Lance didn’t score at all and Isaac was out so we struggled a bit with scoring.
    I felt after that game that we are closer to contending than many believe.

Veterans List
    Great interview from Buddy with Tony Armstrong.....worth a look.

BUDDY EXCLUSIVE: A Swan who should be in Rance air, 'stressful' AFL industry

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Dreamtime Game is turning into a ripper. Bombers coming home like a train - again!

And have just taken the lead!

And the Tigers respond by kicking 4 straight goals!

Make that 5 straight goals.

6 straight. Bombers were in front 15 minutes ago. Now losing by 33.
    Last edited by Sandridge; 5th June 2021 at 11:13 PM.

Would it be wrong to go for Carlton today?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast