Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: R12 Swans V Saints @SCG - Live

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Ever since my playing days I have hated umpires (they can be very biased in country footy) but what I witness in this joke of a league has NOT increased my appreciation of them......just 'F'ing cheats the lot of them. They turned a game we should have easily won into a close contest we could have lost. A-holes!
    My son expressed an interest in doing some umpiring. I advised him not to it because there is no appreciation for what umpires do and they have to cop the umpire bashing that occurs in this post.

Maybe if people were kinder to umpires at all levels of the game, then more kids would put their hands up to umpire. This would lead to more umpiring numbers and a bigger talent pool would lead to better umpires getting the opportunities to umpire important games.

This would most probably lead to better umpires at the top level.

But no, you and others have to engage in umpire bashing at every level of the game and any sensible person is not going to sign up for a job where they cop this level of abuse.

Stevo, you and others need to accept accountability that the level of umpiring is not as good as it could be because you and others constantly abuse them at all levels of the game.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    When a player is on the ground and elects to drag the ball in (which in this case was probably just taking possession), rather than knocking it on, it becomes his responsibility to clear the ball. McCartin didn’t clear the ball, so a free kick was paid.

It looked weird because King was sitting on it at the end, but the AFL doesn’t want players who are already on the ground trying to take possession of the ball as it rarely gets out. If the roles were reversed I would expect the Swans to receive the free kick - and would be screaming out if it was not paid (but perhaps this might be called one-eyed). I was nervous when McCartin picked it up.

The point of contention more than anything is whether McCartin’s action of taking possession is equivalent to dragging it back in.
    Sorry but if that's the reason for the free then that is ludicrous. Surely, to be penalised for insufficient attempt to dispose of the pill, one must first have possession of the pill. McCartin did not have possession of said pill - it was nestled between King's legs.

I would actually rather believe that the umpire had a complete brain fart or was cheating (because let's face it, he had a perfect view) than that the decision was correct. If that decision was correct then I am officially never watching football again.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    He paid it because McCartin dragged the ball back in. Strange that he blew the whistle when ball was between King's legs.
    Sorry, but that isn't an answer either. whether or not McCartin pulled it in, in the scrum the ball ended up between King's legs. The umpire watched and watched and watched while King was literally sitting on the ball as if laying an egg, and McCartin WASN'T EVEN TOUCHING THE BALL with any part of his body, it get's paid as a free against McCartin for incorrect disposal. I feel as if we've reached peak stupid if there can be a serious discussion about whether this free was correct. McCartin WASN'T EVEN TOUCHING THE BALL.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    My son expressed an interest in doing some umpiring. I advised him not to it because there is no appreciation for what umpires do and they have to cop the umpire bashing that occurs in this post.

Maybe if people were kinder to umpires at all levels of the game, then more kids would put their hands up to umpire. This would lead to more umpiring numbers and a bigger talent pool would lead to better umpires getting the opportunities to umpire important games.

But no, you and others have to engage in umpire bashing at every level of the game and any sensible person is not going to sign up for a job where they cop this level of abuse.

Stevo, you and others need to accept accountability that the level of umpiring is not as good as it could be because you and others constantly abuse them at all levels of the game.
    mamma mia, here we go again....
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Really pretty horrid win - thought we played much better vs Dockers for a loss. Bye can't come fast enough I suspect.

Joel a very big bonus on an otherwise fairly ordinary day. He does need to learn how to handball though.

- - - Updated - - -

Isaac needs to sort his kicking out, because if he kicks like that to win us the GF there will be a riot. I actually think he's a pretty solid set shot kick so don't understand where this left foot screw kick nonsense has come from.
    His left foot was fine today but he misses too many set shots on his right. Chink in his armour at the moment but can be rectified.

Really liked Cunningham’s game. Really solid and did everything right. Same with Dawson.

Amartey really provided a strong target, had physical presence and took some great contested marks.

J-Mac made some great late contributions. Good kick inboard and strong mark on the wing.

Franklin is playing so well. That pass in the last quarter to Heeney was outstanding.

Good win, 4 points.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    Sorry but if that's the reason for the free then that is ludicrous. Surely, to be penalised for insufficient attempt to dispose of the pill, one must first have possession of the pill. McCartin did not have possession of said pill - it was nestled between King's legs.

I would actually rather believe that the umpire had a complete brain fart or was cheating (because let's face it, he had a perfect view) than that the decision was correct. If that decision was correct then I am officially never watching football again.
    Sadly, I think the decision was correct as to how the umpires are instructed. Hope this gives you an out V&F, because you have made a very big call.

When a player is on the ground and elects to drag the ball in (which in this case was probably just taking possession), rather than knocking it on, it becomes his responsibility to clear the ball. McCartin didn’t clear the ball, so a free kick was paid.

It looked weird because King was sitting on it at the end, but the AFL doesn’t want players who are already on the ground trying to take possession of the ball as it rarely gets out. If the roles were reversed I would expect the Swans to receive the free kick - and would be screaming out if it was not paid (but perhaps this might be called one-eyed). I was nervous when McCartin picked it up.

The point of contention more than anything is whether McCartin’s action of taking possession is equivalent to dragging it back in.
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    The umpiring was poor. The Rampe-King one a classic example.

Unfortunately the McCartin one was there every day of the week. If you’re on the ground and pull it in, you have to get it out. Doesn’t matter that it ended up under King. It might be a stupid rule, but it’s the rule. And I instinctively agree with it in the interests of keeping the ball moving.

You just wish they paid incorrect disposal as often and on the same basis of the principle is clear.
    Actually...no

18.6.5 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Diving on Top of the Football A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player who dives on top of or drags the football underneath their body and fails to immediately knock clear or Correctly Dispose of the football when Legally Tackled.

The incident is at the 9:10 mark of the final quarter. Watch it again.. McCartin drags the ball in, immediately handpasses it. The ball ricochets off opponents hand before becoming jammed under King. It is not a free kick.

BangaloreSwan, it is indeed a tough job being an umpire. Note, my issue is with the umpiring not umpires. They have to be accountable the same as we all do. The quality, IMO, is objectively poor. It is frustrating for club supporters and undermines the credibility of the code. I think the players are just bewildered. This season has been excruciating for some reason. The overall standard is down this warrants consideration. It's a big turnoff for the game.

Btw, I watched the last quarter 50s again. So soft. Both stkilda players dived / flopped.

The midfield looks tired and next weeks game is a danger game.
    Florent, Warner, Rowbottom no where to be seen despite having lower game time. RB played only 64% game time and is certainly carrying an injury by the looks. Warner is making too many mistakes. Jmac did enough with his pressure - he is the lucky one as he is the only one who has been rested. Florent should be stepping up but he seems to disappear at times.

It was hard to watch on all fronts - poor umpiring, poor positioning by our players, easy corridor run for Saints, skill errors galore.

By the way if AFL is serious about integrity of the game, Max king should be charged for staging when he went down and milked a penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    The incident is at the 9:10 mark of the final quarter. Watch it again.. McCartin drags the ball in, immediately handpasses it. The ball ricochets off opponents hand before becoming jammed under King. It is not a free kick.
    You might want to take another look. After the ball is dragged in, McCartin tries to handpass but never gets his right fist to the ball (his right arm is being tackled by King), which is then knocked out of his left hand by either the other Saints player on his left or the extended tackling arms of King (and then comes to rest between King’s legs). Based on the definition you supplied, it seems to be the right call.

Veterans List
    I was certain all game that we'd lose. If Higgins wasn't struck be the yips we would have. So feeling relieved!

Good players:
    - Hickey: loved those two contested marks in defence. Got through the game without aggravating that knee. Led clearances again. Love that dude.
    - Lloyd, Cunningham: thrust us out of defence
    - Mills: our best mid
    - Buddy: decisive touches of class forward
    - Amartey: way more mobile than McLean and clunked them very well. Get Plugger up from Bowral.

Not Parker's best day, but clutch goal.

Thought Hayward did his job again.

- - - Updated - - -

You might want to take another look. After the ball is dragged in, McCartin tries to handpass but never gets his right fist to the ball (his right arm is being tackled by King), which is then knocked out of his left hand by either the other Saints player on his left or the extended tackling arms of King (and then comes to rest between King’s legs). Based on the definition you supplied, it seems to be the right call.
    Agreed. It was a free. Not Tom's best day, but tried hard and it's all learning innit.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post

Yeah....whatever. Must be wonderful in that rarefied air of yours. I hated umpires but I didn't give them hell like the bogans of today.....just spirited banter....and I will verbally bash umpires (on a forum....as if that effects them) whenever they deserve it and today they did.

I'd encourage your son to have a go, not discourage him with your own fear.....he may have more character than you give him credit for.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast