Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rd 13 vs Hawthorn

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I remember well the news report after the first time that the Giants beat the Swans, on that storm interrupted round 1 game out at Homebush. There was a photo accompanying the article, which showed Buddy trying to lead towards the ball but with Phil Davis's arms wrapped tightly around his body. The caption to the photo was (something like) "Buddy well held by Davis".
    I may have captioned the same photo: Buddy, not a good mud runner? Or was the 100kg handicap excessive?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The weather forecast for Friday is now looking far more palatable. It's changed from "rain - 5-10mm" to "clearing shower <1mm".

On that basis, I'm in the camp that would like to see Brand come in to provide some extra help in the backline. I'm not optimistic it will happen, though.
    It's the height of McEvoy that's a worry. As we know, he's a very good mark and kick for goal. Otherwise, it's Hawthorn's small forwards that pose the greatest danger. Breust we know about, but Dylan Moore and 1st year player Tyler Brockman are dangerous goal kickers. And of course it's the Hawks version of The Chad who needs minding drifting in from the midfield. We haven't been good this year picking up midfielders drifting forward into open spaces. The coaches would be going through the videos to locate the problems, but I just assume it happens with the lack of experience going through our midfield these days and is one of the reasons why young teams like the Swans have trouble making an impact in September.

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    I'd be interested to see the record of opposition key forwards at the SCG in night games. Purely from a patchy memory, I feel like it's often smaller forwards and midfielders who kick goals against us.
    Part of this is the redundancy of the CHF position, and also the ground is very dewy on even a dry night.

From memory, its players like Fantasia, Nathan Jones, Coniglio etc who have kicked 3-4 goals, not the big boys.

This is a long way of saying, I don't think we need to worry too much about height in a night game at home. So I'm not sold on Brand coming in.
    Tex Walker has gotten hold of us a few times there with his beautiful, long kicking. Cameron while at GWS also has performed well at the SCG.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Tex Walker has gotten hold of us a few times there with his beautiful, long kicking. Cameron while at GWS also has performed well at the SCG.
    Tex has kicked 2 bags of 4 & 5 under lights at the SCG, but one of those was 2012.

I still think it's rare that a key forward gets the better of us, under lights, at home.

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    I still think it's rare that a key forward gets the better of us, under lights, at home.
    https://afltables.com/afl/stats/game...620120825.html

That bloody #23 for Hawthorn!! He was the difference. I was there.

How come we never get players of that calibre playing for us???

Quote Originally Posted by HeeneyIsAGun View Post
    https://afltables.com/afl/stats/game...620120825.html

That bloody #23 for Hawthorn!! He was the difference. I was there.

How come we never get players of that calibre playing for us???
    4:40pm game. My loose hypotheses stands

Veterans List
    aaaand right on cue, Jai Newcombe the Box Hill player we were keen on in the MSD, so he put a 3.5 yrs financial option on his nomination to be certain to get to the Hawks, has been named to play against us tomorrow night.

So ins for Hawks are this guy, a hard at it mid, likely too O'Meara and Day. Hawks strongest line up for the year? Danger game.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    aaaand right on cue, Jai Newcombe the Box Hill player we were keen on in the MSD, so he put a 3.5 yrs financial option on his nomination to be certain to get to the Hawks, has been named to play against us tomorrow night.

So ins for Hawks are this guy, a hard at it mid, likely too O'Meara and Day. Hawks strongest line up for the year? Danger game.
    eek, feeling nervous for this one. Got danger written all of it. Doesn't help that I'm going to the game with two Hawthorn friends, who last time we went to a game together Roughhead (I think) kicked a goal with less than a minute to go to win the game and my "friends" proceeded to rib me about it all night
    Last edited by longmile; 10th June 2021 at 04:13 PM.

Veterans List
    Warner may not be rested as some here, me included, expect.

Warner to undergo testing ahead of Hawthorn

I think he should be rested but it may be an indication that the coaches see this weekends game as the danger game that a lot of us here do.

I'm also doubting that Campbell will come straight back in after the bye, as this quote from the same article alludes:

"Braeden has started some running this week on the AlterG. We expect him to have a slow and steady progress with his running program."

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    eek, feeling nervous for this one. Got danger written all of it. Doesn't help that I'm going to the game with two Hawthorn friends, who last time we went to a game together Roughhead (I think) kicked a goal with less than a minute to go to win the game and my "friends" proceeded to rib me about it all night
    Actually it was Burgoyne in 2016

Later that night we drunkenly stumbled on Bradley Hill on Oxford St Hungry Jacks and I remember telling him something really eloquent along the lines of "free kick Hawthorn"

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I was at that game too but went with sympathetic relatives, my daughter (Swans) and her fiance (Cats), so the trip home was far less annoying than yours I'd imagine.

BTW, we were robbed that night.....yet again!

Senior Player
    Unfortunately Naismith's ACL has gone again - another reco.

Terrible luck for him.

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/...mith-statement

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast