Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Adam Goodes and Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Anyone know where I can watch the entirety of this game online? Would love to watch the whole thing as I was a bit too young to realise its significance at the time and I know Goodesy won a brownlow for playing ruck but its hard to find highlights of him playing in the ruck
    I actually remember my father (actually an infrequent poster here) set the TV up the backyard that game and him and his best friend where hollering and having the best time all night, thinking previously that we didn't stand a chance against Port. As an ex-Norwood Adelaide boy I think it was extra special for him against his least favourite team.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I actually remember my father (actually an infrequent poster here) set the TV up the backyard that game and him and his best friend where hollering and having the best time all night, thinking previously that we didn't stand a chance against Port. As an ex-Norwood Adelaide boy I think it was extra special for him against his least favourite team.
    Lol, as an Adelaide refugee the ex-Norwood reference made me smile. Oh how we hated Port!

Probably my second or maybe third team now.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    Thanks Faunac8 for pointing out that article. It was wonderful.
    Even most of the comments are reasonable, which is unusual in any article about Goodes unfortunately.

My favourite recollection of the great man was from 2003 v Collingwood at Docklands stadium. He must have covered every inch of turf at that stadium, no one could go with him. And the best part was I was in the Collingwood President's function, so got to see McGuire's meltdown close up.
    That’s a great call. Rodney Eade had a great comment about Adam, which was that he moved like a ball - and that night was a terrible example of it.

Another fave was the final home and away game of 2006. You kinda knew going into it he was a contender for the Brownlow. Playing as a midfielder he had 27 poessions (from memory) and four goals. It was utterly ridiculous and there were some patches where Carlton were just reduced to watching the genius at work.

I highly recommend listening to this recent Chad Wingard interview about racism:
    LISTEN: Chad Wingard's soul destroying racial-profiling moment

Chad is a very well spoken and intelligent AFL player. There is a segment about Adam Goodes and how Adam's experience has affected other indigenous players.

Perhaps living in Thailand these past 10 years has shielded me from the current degree of racism in Australia. I can only say that I was absolutely appalled by what I heard from Wingard about how things have deteriorated for indigenous players and the indigenous community in general and how badly scarred the players have become from the increase in racist comments and attacks due to social media.

Wingard noted that it was important for White people to call out racism whenever they see it if we want things to improve. Whenever I have a catch up conversation with friends from Australia and other countries around the world, I have made it a point for quite a number of years to express how utterly disgusted I am to have to live in a racist world I take racism as a personal affront for being forced to live in an ignorant world that I find so viscerally offensive. It really makes my stomach churn.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Also, mainstream media, including ABC, Age etc as well as tabloids are now competing with social media. Everything is dumbed down and people are fed what they want to hear.
    Wonder if Ross Greenwood still feels the same why he booed Adam Goodes, as this was the common excuse at the time (which still prevails today).

‘I’ve booed Adam Goodes’: Finance editor Ross Greenwood weighs in on debate

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Agree with you re the Goodes saga. Was more referring to the misinformation on social media that is swallowed therefore creating delusional beliefs.
    It all started with that arrogant jerk Shane Warne....who, on the day of Goodes Australian of the Year Award announcement tweeted "Adam Goodes AOTY! Who votes for this?" with a series of sarcastic emoji's. On top of the previous Collingwood 'racist 13yo girl' controversy, that started everything anti-Goodes IMO. Warne's a bigoted asshole in the Sam Newman mold. Then followed the Murdoch press articles and right wing shock jock delusion and the rest is history. So it's a combination of social media delusion and right wing media delusion.....leading to a lot of social delusion. It's a dangerous time frankly.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Wonder if Ross Greenwood still feels the same why he booed Adam Goodes, as this was the common excuse at the time (which still prevails today).

‘I’ve booed Adam Goodes’: Finance editor Ross Greenwood weighs in on debate
    Ross Greenwood.....what a simpleton. He sounds like Warne speaking.

snip

However, as this is a football forum, let’s stick to the game and in this case Goodsey.
    I believe the overwhelming majority of footballing public are not racist. We may boo a player who carries out a misdemeanour on the field for the rest of the game, but it is forgotten when he plays the following week , unless he is a repeat offender. Similarly with umpires, we boo when they make an obviously bad decision especially in front of goal.

No doubt the AFL handled Goodsey saga poorly, but I think this was because they are generally inept at most things and maybe were even a bit shell shocked. Often they shoot themselves in the foot. Unfortunately there were some scum supporters who booed Goodsey for no valid reason and thus made it extremely difficult for him. What this sad saga shows is that sadly there are some misguided people amongst us and the rest of us need to point out to them the error of their ways in the strongest possible terms.

As for the AFL, they are learning, but slower than we would like.
    Last edited by liz; 22nd June 2021 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Deleted part relevant to Open Chat thread

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    snip

However, as this is a football forum, let’s stick to the game and in this case Goodsey.
    This ^^^

RWO - RedAndWhiteOnline.com

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    I believe the overwhelming majority of footballing public are not racist. We may boo a player who carries out a misdemeanour on the field for the rest of the game, but it is forgotten when he plays the following week , unless he is a repeat offender. Similarly with umpires, we boo when they make an obviously bad decision especially in front of goal.

No doubt the AFL handled Goodsey saga poorly, but I think this was because they are generally inept at most things and maybe were even a bit shell shocked. Often they shoot themselves in the foot. Unfortunately there were some scum supporters who booed Goodsey for no valid reason and thus made it extremely difficult for him. What this sad saga shows is that sadly there are some misguided people amongst us and the rest of us need to point out to them the error of their ways in the strongest possible terms.

As for the AFL, they are learning, but slower than we would like.
    Booing is part of the game and a fans right to do......and while I agree with most of your post I believe the two emboldened lines above could be changed to "are not completely racist" and "there were a lot of scum supporters who booed Goodsey etc".

The actual 'sound' volume of the booing we witnessed against Adam indicated that there were a lot of people booing, perhaps at times, a majority of opposition fans. Certainly at the North and WC away games.....a real lot!

Were they all racist? Who knows? However, it is safe to say that the true scum supporters booed because they were racist, pure and simple but the supposedly not so racist ones joined in and did not shut up after repeated public calls for this behaviour to stop. They were actually either 'a little bit' racist or worse and when it was publicly called out as being perceived as racist, most still did not shut up.....instead they joined the mob like sheep.

Either way it's a sad indictment on a huge number of AFL fans (majority?....hard to say).....and a terrible stain on the league for pandering to this base in their initial response to the booing of our champion.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I didn’t mean to stray into politics, but had to respond to Ludwig. His football commentary is terrific, informative and entertaining, but the other views he espoused in previous posts are unfounded, extreme and lacking in evidence.

Now that I got that off my chest, let me say that it is so satisfying to see players in friendly discussions after games, obviously happy to mingle with the opposition after battle. This didn’t happen years ago and I can understand why our indigenous players were hurt in the past. Hopefully those taunts never happen again. As parents, it is our responsibility to teach our children to respect everyone, irrespective of race, creed or religion.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Thank you for letting me know, Liz. It can happen when you’re a bench warmer!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast