Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam Goodes and Hall of Fame

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries

Adam Goodes and Hall of Fame

This was always going to happen based on everything he’s said since retiring, but Adam has told the AFL to go screw themselves and rejected an offer to enter the Hall of Fame.

I’m torn between a mix of pride in his continued insistence of being his own man, sad that the game cost itself a relationship with one of its greatest players and downright fury at the whole disgraceful episode (and throw in some expletives if we were allowed to).

See the Herald Sun article below.

No Cookies | Herald Sun
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Sounds like he has moved on, or is fed up with the hypocrisy.

Doesn't need this acknowledgement to remain proud of his achievements.

Thank you for your football service to the Swans.

Rod_

Feel for Goodsey. He must have felt a lot of pain and probably is still hurting.

Time can be a great healer and that’s what is needed here. Unfortunately the AFL can’t undo what they screwed up and no words can make up for the pain he felt- how could some”supporters” boo a player like him? Surely as a society were better than that!

Sadly, maybe not.

Disappointing of course to see Goodesy make that call, but fully support him in doing so - it is for him to make, and him alone.

The usual nonsense in the footy media will no doubt stir old wounds again - people like Garry Lyon coming out and suggesting that the time should have already healed the hurt.

Obviously not, and its up to Goodesy as to whether it ever does.

I hope it does at some point, and he can get then receive the proper recognition he deserves as an ultimate champion of the game. But I suspect that may be some way off (or not at all).
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

STILL a man of principle.
    Good onya Goodesy.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Great call goodsey. The AFL have a f-ing nerve trying to pull this stunt.

I'm still angry at the AFL about it, and I wasn't even involved.

I am sick of AFL virtue signalling.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    This Fitzpatrick statement was the apex of the AFL's miserable handling of it all. Months late, and all about himself.

And by the way, based on some leaks at the time, Fitzpatrick's private view was it was nothing to do with race and all about Adam as an 'upstart'.

An utter piece of .... (can't say it on here).

Mike Fitzpatrick statement on Adam Goodes
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Disappointing of course to see Goodesy make that call, but fully support him in doing so - it is for him to make, and him alone.

The usual nonsense in the footy media will no doubt stir old wounds again - people like Garry Lyon coming out and suggesting that the time should have already healed the hurt.

I hope it does at some point, and he can get then receive the proper recognition he deserves as an ultimate champion of the game. But I suspect that may be some way off (or not at all).
    +1
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post

Anyone who thinks the psychological pain from such abuse can be healed and forgotten in just a few years is not someone who has experienced such abuse.

An apology isn't going to cut it because words are cheap. What's needed is action, and not enough has been done to remedy the problem.

I have been following Robbie Muir's story. He endured racist abuse as well, even worse than Goodes experienced, and he hasn't forgotten that.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veteran Site Admin
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-...e=abc_news_web

According to this article, he specifically asked for it not to be mentioned before the ceremony as he didn't want it to detract from those who are to be admitted. (Ever gracious towards others.) So someone must have leaked the information and the media (Hun) published it against his wishes.

Thanks liz. Goyder sounds more gracious than Fitzpatrick about this (albeit with the benefit of more hindsight).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Suspended by the MRP
    Adam can do whatever the F he wants ! The great man gave his all to this code on and off the field and it failed him. Shame

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast