Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 2021 season - half way through the season

  1. #1

    2021 season - half way through the season

    After 9 rounds we are halfway through the season. Share your comments and predictions.

    Prems men - Top 3 above the rest. Norths finally through to a GF against Easts
    Prems ressies - Syd Uns vs Norths GF
    Prems womens - all depends on the AFLW girls - Southern Power to win it in an upset
    Plutonium - Power Rams GF - flip the coin

    Other comments - something radical needs to happen in the SW - A total of 5 wins after 9 games across the top 2 teams from Camden, Campbelltown and South West
    Balmain the big disappointment. Given the history and geographical location should be doing better
    In 2022 Womens footy to equal men's footy numbers (excluding under 19s and Masters)

    Share your thoughts.

  2. #2
    Prems Men - will North Shore ‘choke’ for a 4th year in a row in finals? If they win their first final, I’m backing them to break the drought.

    Prems Women - really depends if East Coast hold their form. Get Alyce Parker to play regularly for them, I think they’ll be unstoppable.

    Platinum - Power to repeat 2019 and win both Seniors and Reserves GF’s.

    Other predictions - Blacktown to go back up to Platinum in 2022, an overhaul of the U19’s competition (huge disparity between Div 1 and Div 2).

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers28 View Post
    Prems Men - will North Shore ‘choke’ for a 4th year in a row in finals? If they win their first final, I’m backing them to break the drought.

    Prems Women - really depends if East Coast hold their form. Get Alyce Parker to play regularly for them, I think they’ll be unstoppable.

    Platinum - Power to repeat 2019 and win both Seniors and Reserves GF’s.

    Other predictions - Blacktown to go back up to Platinum in 2022, an overhaul of the U19’s competition (huge disparity between Div 1 and Div 2).
    What would that overhaul of U19s look like in your opinion?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    What would that overhaul of U19s look like in your opinion?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Luckily I’m not in a paid position at the AFL to work that out. It’s a very hard problem to solve!

    When there’s a good competition in U19’s Div 1, compared to a 5 team U19’s Div 2 competition (with a run-away leader), to me that shows a gross imbalance.

    Merging the two competitions could be an option. But certainly isn’t the right one because the gulf between the top and bottom would increase dramatically.

    I just hope that the AFL can fix this imbalance in one way, shape or form.

  5. #5

    2021 season - half way through the season

    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers28 View Post
    Luckily I’m not in a paid position at the AFL to work that out. It’s a very hard problem to solve!

    When there’s a good competition in U19’s Div 1, compared to a 5 team U19’s Div 2 competition (with a run-away leader), to me that shows a gross imbalance.

    Merging the two competitions could be an option. But certainly isn’t the right one because the gulf between the top and bottom would increase dramatically.

    I just hope that the AFL can fix this imbalance in one way, shape or form.
    Yes combining the 2 comps won’t work as it will mean the Platinum club U19s will get flogged most weeks making it even harder to attract and retain players.
    There needs to be a joint program between the AFL and Platinum clubs to engage with junior clubs to increase transition from 17s to Platinum 19s. This could involve combined training sessions using ex AFL players such as Ryan Okeefe who is now on the AFLs books. Relatively cheap and easy to do.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    quakers hill
    Posts
    1,456
    Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    Yes combining the 2 comps won’t work as it will mean the Platinum club U19s will get flogged most weeks making it even harder to attract and retain players.
    There needs to be a joint program between the AFL and Platinum clubs to engage with junior clubs to increase transition from 17s to Platinum 19s. This could involve combined training sessions using ex AFL players such as Ryan Okeefe who is now on the AFLs books. Relatively cheap and easy to do.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry Andrew but you really have your head buried in the sand with completely ignorant comments like that and at the same time taking a swipe at Platinum clubs.

    For the record SWS actively work / engage with 8 junior clubs. Of those Ingleburn, South West Tigers, Bankstown, Liverpool and Fairfield all use Rosedale on a regular basis for home games. We have multiple players (over 10) coaching teams at Ingleburn, Bankstown and South West Tigers. We provide physios for multiple junior clubs on a regular basis. The South West Tigers under 15s and under 17s boys train every Tuesday night at Rosedale with the seniors. Our seniors are training at South West Tigers this evening and assisting with their coaches.

    We even flew David Wheadon up to conduct training with our club and the juniors coaches a few years ago.

    Obviously this all pales into insignificance when compared what the Might St George do in engaging junior clubs.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Sorry Andrew but you really have your head buried in the sand with completely ignorant comments like that and at the same time taking a swipe at Platinum clubs.

    For the record SWS actively work / engage with 8 junior clubs. Of those Ingleburn, South West Tigers, Bankstown, Liverpool and Fairfield all use Rosedale on a regular basis for home games. We have multiple players (over 10) coaching teams at Ingleburn, Bankstown and South West Tigers. We provide physios for multiple junior clubs on a regular basis. The South West Tigers under 15s and under 17s boys train every Tuesday night at Rosedale with the seniors. Our seniors are training at South West Tigers this evening and assisting with their coaches.

    We even flew David Wheadon up to conduct training with our club and the juniors coaches a few years ago.

    Obviously this all pales into insignificance when compared what the Might St George do in engaging junior clubs.
    Tara that wasn’t a swipe at Platinum clubs. What you are doing is great, and is exactly what I suggested in my comment, but not enough seem to be doing it.
    A bit sensitive these days mate.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Under 19s needs a balance between div 1 and 2. At the moment Norths , UNSW and Syd Uni are a fair bit stronger than the rest of Div 1 and the bottom one or two teams should really be in div 2. Div 2 only has five teams but really should have two more from Div 1 .

    The other problem Ive seen is that clubs (particularly weaker ones ) push players up into prems at the expense of their 19s so this can be problematic for the strength of the 19s comp. While ever there is a fine line between a player being good enough for Div 1 19s and prems , the 19s comp will suffer. If players were forced to stay in 19s (at the very least until they were past u18 level say ) the 19s comp would become far stronger.

    If you look at the riverina area I dont think they have 19s - they have 17.5s and then seniors - Im not entirely across the concept but I think this allows kids out of juniors to have a comp to go to in their first year but then its straight into a seniors team from u 18 onwards.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO