Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Crayfish

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Certainly agree re Laidler.
    Inside info or just guessing on both of them?
    The way our team is performing suggests a well run club and a VFL team preparing players for the senior team

On the Rookie List
    Very sad news. Wish Sam all the best.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Inside info or just guessing on both of them?
    The way our team is performing suggests a well run club and a VFL team preparing players for the senior team
    Neither, just agreeing with the general sentiment re Laidler (only).

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    When I checked Sam's contract status I thought I had just miscounted when I saw 2022. What a blunder extending his contract when he hadn't even played a senior game since the last reco.

I'm not impressed at all with Charlie Gardiner. Since he stopped doing the injury update, he has more time to make mistakes.
    Kinnear Beatson is our list manager. Gardner just handles the paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Kinnear Beatson is our list manager. Gardner just handles the paperwork.
    Usually, player contracts would come under the rubric of the Head of Football and the CEO. It's nothing to do with Sam personally, but I don't believe his situation since the first ACL reco has been handled well at all.

Also, granted that the list size and related issues during the post season last year were confusing, it shouldn't have been confusing to our Head of Football. He should be embarrassed the way the Robbie Fox delisting was botched.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Usually, player contracts would come under the rubric of the Head of Football and the CEO. It's nothing to do with Sam personally, but I don't believe his situation since the first ACL reco has been handled well at all.

Also, granted that the list size and related issues during the post season last year were confusing, it shouldn't have been confusing to our Head of Football. He should be embarrassed the way the Robbie Fox delisting was botched.
    I'm with you Ludwig. Sam busted his ACL in 2018. Prior to this, he was already known as being injury probe yet was given a 3 year contract, subsequently extended by another year in 2020 prior to busting his knee for a second time. None of this makes sense. Conceivably, he will have been a senior listed player who has played 3-4 AFL games in 5 years. For many of those years, we have had a ruck crisis and realistically, we could be plunged into that crisis again with Hickey running around with no PCL.

This has been badly managed by the club, no two ways about it.

Regular in the Side
    sure;y how we must delist, or have another alex j on our hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I'm with you Ludwig. Sam busted his ACL in 2018. Prior to this, he was already known as being injury probe yet was given a 3 year contract, subsequently extended by another year in 2020 prior to busting his knee for a second time. None of this makes sense. Conceivably, he will have been a senior listed player who has played 3-4 AFL games in 5 years. For many of those years, we have had a ruck crisis and realistically, we could be plunged into that crisis again with Hickey running around with no PCL.

This has been badly managed by the club, no two ways about it.
    Yep- not up to our usual high standards. Only excuse is the horrific ruck situation at our club, going from a surplus which resulted in us losing Toby, to panic stations where we realistically only had Sinkers and even let Darcy Cameron go without giving him at least a handful of games. Lucky we struck gold with big Tom!

Now the ruck position is becoming critical again, as we were all banking on Sam for the second half. Now it is down to Amartey to show what he can do. Young McLean is a couple of seasons away to be a regular. Our latest draftee is a total unknown but has potential. Let’s face it, our ruck management has been poor-is it so hard?

We should expect a lot better from all concerned. No one is above fair criticism!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Yep- not up to our usual high standards. Only excuse is the horrific ruck situation at our club, going from a surplus which resulted in us losing Toby, to panic stations where we realistically only had Sinkers and even let Darcy Cameron go without giving him at least a handful of games. Lucky we struck gold with big Tom!

Now the ruck position is becoming critical again, as we were all banking on Sam for the second half. Now it is down to Amartey to show what he can do. Young McLean is a couple of seasons away to be a regular. Our latest draftee is a total unknown but has potential. Let’s face it, our ruck management has been poor-is it so hard?

We should expect a lot better from all concerned. No one is above fair criticism!
    Both Amartey and McLean are not genuine number one ruck options. Good for a chop out but both are really forwards.

McAndrew currently looks very raw and won't be ready for a long time.

Leaves us with Hickey and his busted PCL and an ageing Sinclair who's most probably past it as our only 2 options. We desperately need to sign a ruckman who is either AFL ready or on the verge, not too expensive and not too old.

Hayes from Port, Meek from Freo or Xerri from North could be options.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Explains why we picked up McAndrew from nowhere.
    I thought he came through the academy.
    I could be wrong.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

It's a sad situation for him, and I feel bad... BUT, I doubt he will play at senior level again.
    If it were me, I'd retire.
    If he does retire, what does that mean for our salary cap??
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    I thought he came through the academy.
    I could be wrong.
    Only kinda. A year ago Lachie McAndrew hadn't played footy. I thought the story went that Chris Smith (from the Academy) encouraged him to give AFL ago when he realised he was too spindly to play rugby and then he started playing for the Manly Wolves in about August last year before being added to our VFL team this season.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast