Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Crayfish

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    I thought he came through the academy.
    I could be wrong.
    He was from nowhere . Was bought into the academy mid last year from rugby . Essentially had not played the game at all prior to that . He’s an Aussie mike Pyke -quite athletic but a long way to go .

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Kinnear Beatson is our list manager. Gardner just handles the paperwork.
    Exactly right. This decision is definitely on Kin. Simon Dalrymple focuses on the draft. So does Ross Monaghan.

This is the first I've heard of Naismith recently being extended - but it sounds true because otherwise I was pretty sure he was due to fall out of contract at the end of this season.

Apart from being a disaster for Sam, this decision is a pain for us. Just when it looked like we had Hickey as #1, Naismith as #2 and McAndrew as a project developing for the future, and with Amartey as a potential forward-ruck to back up our #1 ruck.

I also would have thought we would have put Sam on the LTIL and taken a second player at the mid-season draft if we had known about Sam - but it seems we did because the mid-season draft was just a week ago and, according to reports, Sam pulled up sore sooner than that and was sent for scans etc.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    He was from nowhere . Was bought into the academy mid last year from rugby . Essentially had not played the game at all prior to that . He’s an Aussie mike Pyke -quite athletic but a long way to go .
    Pyke was already a professional rugby player though and had a developed body. He would've been familiar with the rigours of being a pro athlete and apparently was an athletic freak.
    McAndrew is very skinny and was an amateur rugby player. He's taller than Mike but looks to be nowhere near the athlete Mike was when he first turned up. Hence, I wouldn't be expecting him to be AFL ready as quickly as Pyke was. It could well be a very long journey with a less than even chance of ever playing a senior game for Lachie.
    That's why it's absolutely imperative we recruit an AFL ready ruckman at the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Both Amartey and McLean are not genuine number one ruck options. Good for a chop out but both are really forwards.

McAndrew currently looks very raw and won't be ready for a long time.

Leaves us with Hickey and his busted PCL and an ageing Sinclair who's most probably past it as our only 2 options. We desperately need to sign a ruckman who is either AFL ready or on the verge, not too expensive and not too old.

Hayes from Port, Meek from Freo or Xerri from North could be options.
    Choi would be my first pick, but your selection has merit. Hopefully after this year we will rectify this glaring list miss-management.

Chol is also an unsigned UNRESTRICTED free agent. Cmon Swans

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Exactly right. This decision is definitely on Kin. Simon Dalrymple focuses on the draft. So does Ross Monaghan.

This is the first I've heard of Naismith recently being extended - but it sounds true because otherwise I was pretty sure he was due to fall out of contract at the end of this season.

Apart from being a disaster for Sam, this decision is a pain for us. Just when it looked like we had Hickey as #1, Naismith as #2 and McAndrew as a project developing for the future, and with Amartey as a potential forward-ruck to back up our #1 ruck.

I also would have thought we would have put Sam on the LTIL and taken a second player at the mid-season draft if we had known about Sam - but it seems we did because the mid-season draft was just a week ago and, according to reports, Sam pulled up sore sooner than that and was sent for scans etc.
    Terrible for Sam but unlikely to be on a lot of money.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234