Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round 13: the other games. Thursday, Buckley, Freezy.

Round 13: the other games. Thursday, Buckley, Freezy.

Thursday night football returns with Port hosting Geelong. Despite my indifference to playing football on Thursday, I am interested in this game. It's one where we might get a bit more of an inkling, as to who's a genuine premiership threat. It's also has a bearing on our table position, in that if we beat Hawthorn, we'll be one game clear of the loser (although they would have a game in hand). I'd probably prefer a Port win. Geelong have won their last four, so I don't really want to see them gathering any more momentum, and Port to me, seem to be less of a threat, or at least, more inconsistent.

We get to play a Friday night game at the SCG against Hawthorn. We're short priced favourites in this, but I'm slightly nervous. Mainly because we're coming off two six day breaks, while Hawthorn have been resting up with the bye. Let's just hope that Clarkson has been distracted by who they might get with pick one or two; or whether the Collingwood coaching job is an attractive career change. Otherwise, he might be spending his time plotting our demise, and drilling the fundamentals of that plot into his players. Though of course, the current Hawthorn roster, might not have the ability to carry out his cunning plans.

The first of two Saturday games, is Fremantle v Gold Coast in Perth. In regards to injury, these two have recently headed in the opposite direction. The wheels rapidly fell off Fremantle's season last round, when Fyfe, Cox, Darcy and Logue all went down in quick succession. While Gold Coast should be boosted by the return of Bowes, Day and especially, Rowell. While they've never been great travellers, that might be enough for them to get up and preserve their faint finals hopes.

The Saturday night game is St Kilda v Adelaide in Cairns. Let's hope they convert a few more locals with a decent game. Which is possible, if both sides have one of their better days. But it's also possible, that one or both of those sides, don't turn up.

The Sunday afternoon game is North v GWS. Since I rate GWS as the side outside the eight, that's the most threat to our position in the eight, I would love to see an upset North victory; but I can't really see that happening.

On Sunday night it's West Coast v Richmond. The injury plagued West Coast was too good for Carlton last week, but Richmond are obviously a much tougher proposition. But probably the most important thing here, is: if we beat Hawthorn, we'll be two games and percentage clear of the loser.

On Monday, it's Nathan Buckley's final game, when Collingwood play Melbourne at the SCG. Which I'm almost as indifferent about as Thursday night football. On the one hand, I'm sure that he's worked hard and that he's been competent enough to keep a very difficult job since 2012. On the other hand, to me he just appears to be a bit bland. I don't recall listening to one of his press conferences and thinking, yes, that's really intelligent or I've never really thought of that. Nor has he made me laugh. And he's never really pissed me off, like some other coaches often do. He's just been filling the role in a serviceable manner. And his last game will probably go the same way. I'm sure Collingwood will fight hard, but I can't really see them giving him a rousing send off, with an upset victory over a very good Melbourne side.
    And it should be noted that the Big Freeze will be in Sydney this year. AFL luminaries, such as, Jeff Farmer, Daisy Pearce, Billy Brownless and Ray Chamberlain, will help raise the money, that enables more medical research into the extremely debilitating motor neuron disease. I think everybody involved would be thankful that it's not taking place today. Diving into a pool of ice, is probably bad enough when it's 15 degrees and partly cloudy, but 9 degrees, rain and wind, would make it even more of a challenge.

I don't think Buckley will coach again. Everyone realises he had far more chances than he deserved because of Eddie. Not sure what he'll end up doing.

I think it's unfortunate his marriage broke down only a year ago. The workload of a coach would be a big factor. If only he walked away 18 months ago....

Geelong have 10 players 30 or over tonight. Man, they are staring over the edge of the abyss.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Geelong have 10 players 30 or over tonight. Man, they are staring over the edge of the abyss.
    Yep. Can't wait for them to slide. I'm finding the game strange to watch when AA matched up momentarily against Rohan. A part of me still misses those two.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The old codgers won running away, literally and figuratively. They have probably the best full forward line in the comp.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Yep. Can't wait for them to slide. I'm finding the game strange to watch when AA matched up momentarily against Rohan. A part of me still misses those two.
    It was weird...Allir played ok but Rohan was excellent......again. It's hard to watch sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    It was weird...Allir played ok but Rohan was excellent......again. It's hard to watch sometimes.
    Rohan just needs to play 3rd tall to Hawkins and Cameron and suddenly he blossoms.

Odd seeing AA playing as a lockdown defender on Cameron. Wish he was still a Swan.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Rohan just needs to play 3rd tall to Hawkins and Cameron and suddenly he blossoms.

Odd seeing AA playing as a lockdown defender on Cameron. Wish he was still a Swan.
    No amount of money could ever convince me that living in Adelaide is a good idea.

Senior Player
    Geelong seemed to come home strong despite their age, after a close 3 quarters. I agree, it does still feel a bit odd when Rohan and Allir are in the same frame.

We decided to go the Monday game: wouldn't mind a close look at Melbourne, Big Freeze is a bit of an event. I don't get to see many games as a neutral observer. Hope there's a reasonable crowd or the media will be comparing Sydney to the Perth turnout for Dreamtime. I guess there are plenty of Pies supporters everywhere...

Looking forward to tonight, though I won't be focused for much of the game as my boy's Auskick team is on at half-time. Give a wave to the Hornsby Berowra Eagles if you're near the lower O'Reilly on the Bradman side.

Missed last night's match. I would have preferred Port to win. Depending on our goals for the season it may or may not be a good outcome for us. I think it improves our chances of finishing higher on the ladder than Port at season's end but is worse for our chances of finishing top 4. (My reasoning is that, to finish top 4, we need to overtake at least two of Port/Geelong/Brisbane and not be overtaken by Richmond. I don't think we will do this but the best chance was to overtake Port and Geelong. I think we're a good chance of overtaking Port but not so much Geelong. Still will be good to finish ahead of Port to minimise the risk of facing Richmond in our first final.)

I will definitely be hoping the Eagles beat Richmond, mostly because I am more confident about finishing in front of West Coast than Richmond. Should be a good match. Richmond are hitting some strong form but West Coast are better playing at home and have some good ins this round.

I'm not too fussed about the other results since I don't regard those teams as too much of a threat - even if GWS make the eight I think it will beat West Coast's expense, not ours. However, I would rather face West Coast in a final (especially at home) than GWS.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Missed last night's match. I would have preferred Port to win. Depending on our goals for the season it may or may not be a good outcome for us. I think it improves our chances of finishing higher on the ladder than Port at season's end but is worse for our chances of finishing top 4. (My reasoning is that, to finish top 4, we need to overtake at least two of Port/Geelong/Brisbane and not be overtaken by Richmond. I don't think we will do this but the best chance was to overtake Port and Geelong. I think we're a good chance of overtaking Port but not so much Geelong. Still will be good to finish ahead of Port to minimise the risk of facing Richmond in our first final.)

I will definitely be hoping the Eagles beat Richmond, mostly because I am more confident about finishing in front of West Coast than Richmond. Should be a good match. Richmond are hitting some strong form but West Coast are better playing at home and have some good ins this round.

I'm not too fussed about the other results since I don't regard those teams as too much of a threat - even if GWS make the eight I think it will beat West Coast's expense, not ours. However, I would rather face West Coast in a final (especially at home) than GWS.
    I agree. We are going to need two of Port/Cats/Lions to fall over, and Richmond have a whole bunch of MCG games coming up and their
    wildly passionate, deeply committed, rusted on fans won't have to make that arduous 2KM trek down the road to Marvel for another
    "home" game this year. So the Tigers will be able to count on more than a couple dozen "fans" at their next run of games in Melbourne,
    and historically that has helped them. Assuming of course one of the MCG bar staff doesn't get the sniffles and the entire state has to be
    sent back to the couch at home.
    We though need to keep grinding out uninspiring wins over mediocre opponents until someone remembers the ingredients for the
    cordial the guys were drinking during the breaks at the start of the season and we can all start thinking that the Demons and Dogs spots
    on the ladder are there for the taking.
    Last edited by KTigers; 11th June 2021 at 02:45 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    No amount of money could ever convince me that living in Adelaide is a good idea.
    Fantastic place to live, can still afford to buy a lovely house 10 mins from the CBD, 15 mins to uncrowded beaches and the picturesque Adelaide Hills, multiple world class wine regions under an hours drive.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast