Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vale Geoffrey Edelsten

Writing the club article must have been very difficult but I think whoever wrote it did a masterful job.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Writing the club article must have been very difficult but I think whoever wrote it did a masterful job.
    I thought the tone of the article was a bit bland- and why didn’t the team wear armbands Friday night? I’m a bit disappointed as I loved the footy we played then- kicking 200 points a game! Edelsten made it happen- he even signed Capper to a personal contract!

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    I thought the tone of the article was a bit bland- and why didn’t the team wear armbands Friday night? I’m a bit disappointed as I loved the footy we played then- kicking 200 points a game! Edelsten made it happen- he even signed Capper to a personal contract!
    Disappointed at the lack of armbands? Give it a break Roadrunner. I know you responded to my post, but it looks a bit like you only really took in the the last line.

My post was only a summary of course, I made no reference to Tim Barling, Jim Edmond, Maurice Rioli, 4 Corners, Tom Domican, Mr. Rent-a-Kill, the Great Expectations Foundation, bankruptcy or jail time - so I must have been feeling charitable when I posted.

I have mixed feelings about today's Medicare factories - yes it gives people greater access to doctors. But it's looking like a mixed blessing. In too many cases they shunt through 4 patients an hour, rack up large numbers of superfluous in-house and superfluous tests and take only the most superficial interest in patients.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 14th June 2021 at 11:07 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Disappointed at the lack of armbands? Give it a break Roadrunner. I know you responded to my post, but it looks a bit like you only really took in the the last line.

My post was only a summary, I made no reference to Tim Barling, Jim Edmond, Maurice Rioli, 4 Corners, Tom Domican, Mr. Rent-a-Kill, the Great Expectations Foundation, bankruptcy or jail time - so I must ave been feeling charitable hen I posted.
    Sure, he had his faults and he pushed the envelope a bit too far at times. So as supporters, let’s remember the positives now that he has left the field and look back at the exciting footy we played during his short tenure.

We had no trouble kicking goals, that’s for sure!

Your post was great, R & R. My point was that in spite of being a passionate Carlton supporter, he did his best for us and he was instrumental in assembling an amazing team, which played exciting football, and enabled us to win a lot of games comfortably.

That was something we hadn’t experienced for a long, long time. As a Chairman of the Swans, I feel the club should have acknowledged his passing, despite his mistakes in life. Can’t help feeling sorry for him as he was all alone in the end.

- and why didn’t the team wear armbands Friday night?
    Callum Mills was wearing one

And I read - pre-game - that they were potentially going to. Evidently didn’t happen

I’m a bit disappointed as I loved the footy we played then- kicking 200 points a game! Edelsten made it happen
    1987. I loved those 3 games. I watch them on on DVD every now and then

I thought the tone of the article was a bit bland
    Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Not sure why it should have been. There were positives about him. When someone passes, it’s not necessarily hard to write some nice things. The negatives are well publicised and easily accessible should people want to find them. An obituary - particularly from the club - has scope for perhaps a little more sensitivity. Hard for the deceased to defend themselves, but also hard for the loved ones of the deceased to read in their time of mourning when they are seeking solace.

We all have our faults. There is, perhaps a time and place for them to be publicised
    Last edited by goswannies; 14th June 2021 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post

And I read - pre-game - that they were potentially going to. Evidently didn’t happen

Not sure why it should have been. There were positives about him. When someone passes, it’s not necessarily hard to write some nice things. The negatives are well publicised and easily accessible should people want to find them. An obituary - particularly from the club - has scope for perhaps a little more sensitivity. Hard for the deceased to defend themselves, but also hard for the loved ones of the deceased to read in their time of mourning when they are seeking solace.

We all have our faults. There is, perhaps a time and place for them to be publicised
    I didn't think it was negative. I thought it was a balanced and thoughtful account of his contributions. I think they should have worn black armbands.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post

Pretty much how I feel.
    And those 3 games were unbelievable! So exciting to watch, especially after being in football wasteland for so long.

I think our current lads should watch some of those games from 1987- they could learn a lot!

News of Geoffrey Edelsten's death broke during Ch 7 news just 90 mins before the game and they mentioned team will be wearing black armbands, so I was surprised that it didn't happen. Wonder if the short timing played a part?

Apart from kicking 30+ plus goals in 3 successive weeks (VFL/AFL record), I also enjoyed the Melbourne frenzy of Edelsten raiding clubs of their stars when we were such targets for many years previous.....particularly Carlton.
    Last edited by KSAS; 15th June 2021 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    News of Geoffrey Edelsten's death broke during Ch 7 news just 90 mins before the game and they mentioned team will be wearing black armbands, so I was surprised that it didn't happen. Wonder if the short timing played a part?
    I got out some duct tape and had a go. Managed to tape my mate’s arm 82 times in just under 10 minutes.i think 4 trainers could have managed 23 players & a coach in 90 minutes

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    I got out some duct tape and had a go. Managed to tape my mate’s arm 82 times in just under 10 minutes.i think 4 trainers could have managed 23 players & a coach in 90 minutes
    I was told that due to Covid one of the many soft cap cutbacks that had to be made meant that the stationery cabinet can't be re-stocked
    till after the bye, and the only tape the club had left was red and that was being used on the banner for the Big Freeze game.
    Millsy offered to duck out to Bunnings to buy some more black tape and would only miss the first few minutes of the first quarter by
    the time he got back but Horse decided that mightn't be a good look for the next captain of the club, especially if Callum couldn't
    remember the security password to get back into the SCG changerooms as he often does.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12