Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 15 v Port Adelaide

An important match up this week is Aliir. He has been roaming free at Port and impacting games significantly. Will McDonald or Amartey be up to containing him, in the same way McLean nullified Andrews and Haynes earlier this year? Or will it be Wilbur (if not concussed)?

Such a shame we have to consider how to match Aliir - in an ideal world he should still be in red and white. I wonder if we offered Hewett to Port but they refused.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    I saw Sammy Reid in the red jumper in the pic. Does this mean he's a chance?
    No. Horse said not yet in his interview. ( 19' long - definitely worth a listen )
    By the way, Reid was in the "red", but it looks like a T-shirt rather than a playing Guernsey. The Nike Logo is on his right rather than in the centre.

Regular in the Side
    The Swans squad moving to Melbourne with the Giants in a chartered plane to avoid being locked out of Adelaide.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Gulden - Bell
    Chad - Rowbottom
    Campbell - Hewett
    Reid - Amartey
    Wicks - Taylor
    Melican - Fox

All straight swaps, plenty of upside in this team still
    I agree with the upside comment, and do think Brand is better than the Pelican, although probably competes with Fox for a spot to be fair.

Taylor is not in our best 22. So its Wicks v Gulden v Bell. I actually think Wicks plays better with Gulden there, simply because they split the small forward pressure with Papley. So Bell misses out for now.

Campbell is a lock, once fit.

Amartey is not Reid yet, so its between he and McLean. If Reid is fit he is in.

Rowie and The Chad must play in the same team, if only to learn how to play together. I'd rather leave out Hewitt, and really the three of them have to be Kennedy's replacement one day.

Its also Stephens v Florent V McInerney. And Dylan is not showing enough to be picked just yet.

Our biggest worry, as always, remains the ruck.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    No. Horse said not yet in his interview. ( 19' long - definitely worth a listen )
    By the way, Reid was in the "red", but it looks like a T-shirt rather than a playing Guernsey. The Nike Logo is on his right rather than in the centre.
    Nice, thanks. "We get the opportunity to go to X to play a really good team in Y" is part of the Horse press conference template. Wonder if the squad plays "jargon bingo" with his pressies!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by HeeneyIsAGun View Post
    I agree with the upside comment, and do think Brand is better than the Pelican, although probably competes with Fox for a spot to be fair.

Taylor is not in our best 22. So its Wicks v Gulden v Bell. I actually think Wicks plays better with Gulden there, simply because they split the small forward pressure with Papley. So Bell misses out for now.

Campbell is a lock, once fit.

Amartey is not Reid yet, so its between he and McLean. If Reid is fit he is in.

Rowie and The Chad must play in the same team, if only to learn how to play together. I'd rather leave out Hewitt, and really the three of them have to be Kennedy's replacement one day.

Its also Stephens v Florent V McInerney. And Dylan is not showing enough to be picked just yet.

Our biggest worry, as always, remains the ruck.
    You might've misunderstood me , i was talking about the team from last week or whenever the hawthorn game was and this weeks team. It will be missing 6 of our first choice players so 6 have to make way , not about who you want to or would like to see get games its about having our best team possible for the run home

Port have 5 of their very best players out in Butters, Duursma, Gray, Clurey and Fantasia. By comparison, our injury list isn't looking all that bad, with most players on it ready to come back within 3 weeks.

We may not be able to put our very best side in for this game, but it's still going to be a pretty close to our best. All of our key players are fit and in the side. It would certainly be a better team with Warner, but we have good midfield depth and we can bring someone who can do a good job. I don't think we can use injuries as a reason if we don't play well.

For me, the key one to bring in is Brand, so we have coverage for Dixon and Marshall, who is expected back this week. Maybe Gulden will come in for Wicks. If not, there are several possibilities as mentioned by others. Our midfield group can stay the same, with a couple of changes up front and down back. I'm sure Longmire has drilled the troops about what we have to do to win. Good pressure footy and winning the hard ball gets stat will be critical.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Nothing against the decision if hes not fit hes not fit but we miss athleticism in the midfield and dont have a single option in the reserves who offers that either

Shame is that i think its an area we could exploit against Port , Boak Wines etc are jets but not fast , Chad could've done some damage against them , will be a dog fight now

Hope Gulden gets up but dont want to rush these young fellas
    Chad is a huge loss. A couple of weeks ago I ran into Chad within the Waverley Council Area. He was happy to have a chat to me and my family and was a brilliant bloke.

Come hell or high water Chad is now a member of my pick and stick club.

Any dissenting Chad voices on this forum will be contested by me.

#NoChad=NoSwans

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Chad is a huge loss. A couple of weeks ago I ran into Chad within the Waverley Council Area. He was happy to have a chat to me and my family and was a brilliant bloke.

Come hell or high water Chad is now a member of my pick and stick club.

Any dissenting Chad voices on this forum will be contested by me.
    Love him as a player but what he's like off field doesnt make an iota of difference to me , too often the character of the player is used as some kind of for or against argument

Had the misfortune of meeting Diesel a couple of times back in the day and he was a right you know what . Still one of the best Bloods ive ever seen play

Changes for round 15 v Port Adelaide

No wonder Swans & Giants scrambled to get out of Sydney tonight. The list of LGAs below has been declared to be red zones by Victoria (‘do not enter’) from 1am Wed.

Though I don’t understand why Swans didn’t fly straight to Adelaide. Anyone know the reason?

The seven declared regions are:

City of Sydney
    Waverley
    Woollahra
    Bayside
    Canada Bay
    Inner West
    Randwick

Update:

Might answer my own question:

South Australia has placed restrictions on travellers who have been in Randwick City, Bayside, Canada Bay, Inner West, City of Sydney and Woollahra.

Travellers are required to be tested for COVID-19 on days 1, 5 and 13, self-quarantine until taking the first test and stay away from high-risk settings for 14 days.

That complicates things for a lot of the Swans players.

So must be likely Port will have to fly to Melbourne and the game be played there I suspect.
    Last edited by Meg; 23rd June 2021 at 01:53 AM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

So must be likely Port will have to fly to Melbourne and the game be played there I suspect.
    From the AFL website:

'The Swans will use Melbourne as their base before hoping to be given South Australian government approval to fly in, fly out of Adelaide for a match against Port Adelaide on Saturday night.'

Sydney Swans, GWS Giants flee New South Wales due to COVID outbreak, Giants' clash with Hawks relocated to MCG

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast