Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 15 v Port Adelaide

Suspended by the MRP
    Heeneys a gun but has always been over rated and that is reflected in his best and fairest finishes , probs a top 3 talent on our list yet never finished top 5 , too inconsistent and gets injured too often

Like i said still a gun but might be time to except he wont be the superstar we hoped he'd be , no shame in that very few get there

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

Quite a few things to work on, but I think the tackling technique should be a priority. Start getting that right, and getting more reward for effort, and a few other things will flow. We will turn the ball over (in our favour) further up the ground a bit more often, and get more chances to get the ball into our forward 50 before it is clogged up with defenders, and thus more chance to find a target. And also provide a bit more protection for the defence. I don't think it's a work rate thing, a willingness to tackle. I think they are trying, just not doing it well. Surely that's one of the easier things to fix, even within season?
    +1 to this Liz! I agree as you say its primarily a technique issue more so than anything - sometimes also a case of not quite enough body strength for some of the younger guys too. Get Kizza in for a month and get him on to it I reckon - could make a huge difference.

Its a perfect example of how just a tiny improvement (even say a 10% improvement in tackles sticking) could make a huge difference, as you have succintly described!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The other aspect of our game that stands out to me (and has been noted by a few others) is the quality of our tackling. We seem to be expending a lot of effort but for little effect. That's one reason why the backline is being exposed - we're not really slowing down the opposition moving the ball through the midfield. Too often they are able to get a handball off to a team mate, then to another in space with the ability to kick the ball to a target.

Quite a few things to work on, but I think the tackling technique should be a priority. Start getting that right, and getting more reward for effort, and a few other things will flow. We will turn the ball over (in our favour) further up the ground a bit more often, and get more chances to get the ball into our forward 50 before it is clogged up with defenders, and thus more chance to find a target. And also provide a bit more protection for the defence. I don't think it's a work rate thing, a willingness to tackle. I think they are trying, just not doing it well. Surely that's one of the easier things to fix, even within season?
    I get the same feeling about our tackling, except for Wicks, who has a very good technique. Yet the numbers say that we are the best tackling team in the AFL.

Speaking for myself, I notice when our players miss tackles, but not so much so when opposition players miss tackles. The way I see it, Chad Warner always breaks tackles because of his talent. I never see it as the the opposition player failing to complete the tackle.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I get the same feeling about our tackling, except for Wicks, who has a very good technique. Yet the numbers say that we are the best tackling team in the AFL.

Speaking for myself, I notice when our players miss tackles, but not so much so when opposition players miss tackles. The way I see it, Chad Warner always breaks tackles because of his talent. I never see it as the the opposition player failing to complete the tackle.
    [Sigh re exit function on the phone.]

According to available statistics we're the most *prolific* tackling team in the AFL, but I'm not aware of statistics suggesting we're the most *efficient* tackling team.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post

According to available statistics we're the most *prolific* tackling team in the AFL, but I'm not aware of statistics suggesting we're the most *efficient* tackling team.
    It makes you wonder who's leading in the statistical category:

Feeble tackling attempts meeting the minimum requirements not to draw the ire of the coach during the Monday morning game review.

I can't find it in Champion Data.

I'll check what Wooden Spoon Data has and get back to you.

Could take a while.

Veterans List
    I notice on RWO the term handball being used, with the current blight on the game, throw should be substituted for handball. Throwing is driving me nuts when I watch games!

This of course has nothing to do with Changes for R15 against Port :-)

Veterans List
    The cavalry is still some time away :-(

Braeden Campbell Shin 3-4 weeks
    Errol Gulden Foot 1-2 weeks
    Will Hayward Concussion 1-2 weeks
    Lewis Melican Hamstring TBC
    Sam Reid Calf TBC
    Chad Warner Leg Test
    Updated: Tuesday, June 15

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    +1 to this Liz! I agree as you say its primarily a technique issue more so than anything - sometimes also a case of not quite enough body strength for some of the younger guys too. Get Kizza in for a month and get him on to it I reckon - could make a huge difference.

Its a perfect example of how just a tiny improvement (even say a 10% improvement in tackles sticking) could make a huge difference, as you have succintly described!
    Yes, it’s all down to technique. I don’t get when we tackle, the opposition player gets a handball (throw?) away to a teammate behind him, who then handballs or kicks to a teammate in space who then kicks to a target further up the field. This happens so often- it makes the original tackle pointless and shouldn’t even be counted in the stats.

As pointed out by Liz and others, we need to work on this a lot and pin the arms or at least one arm to prevent the opponent spinning around and handball to a teammate who is not under pressure. It’s a coaching issue, surely!

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    The cavalry is still some time away :-(

Braeden Campbell Shin 3-4 weeks
    Errol Gulden Foot 1-2 weeks
    Will Hayward Concussion 1-2 weeks
    *Lewis Melican Hamstring TBC
    *Sam Reid Calf TBC
    *Chad Warner Leg Test

Updated: Tuesday, June 15
    These three would some great "In's".
    Reid has been out for more than half our season. He last played in rnd 6 :-(
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    [Sigh re exit function on the phone.]

with our young bodies it is not surprising that we go for many tackles (enthusiasm of youth) but can't make them stick (lack of strength). We need to be patient. We are ahead of expectations. We are another 2 preseasons and another Tom Hickey from being a serious threat

We have a chance if we get on top of clearances but given Lycett is likely to come in - it’s unlikely. They are tall in front and back half. Not sure how we are not going to get smashed by them. Brand as a Tall in back half is minimum requirement. I hope it is not ugly viewing at the Adelaide oval and we come up with a good plan to stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    We have a chance if we get on top of clearances but given Lycett is likely to come in - it’s unlikely. They are tall in front and back half. Not sure how we are not going to get smashed by them. Brand as a Tall in back half is minimum requirement. I hope it is not ugly viewing at the Adelaide oval and we come up with a good plan to stop them.
    I don't disagree, but do wonder if we might give them a pretty decent scare. Just seeing how teams have come off the bye this year so far, freshness seems to be a big boost. We certainly don't appear to match up well, but I think we will be smarting to put in a pretty solid performance. Don't think necessarily we can win, but I didn't early in the season either when we got teams on the hop.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast