Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 15 v Port Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I haven't seen 2-3 let alone 4 defenders marking Buddy this year. Whether that's a consequence of rule changes or because he's no longer feared as he once was I don't know, but it simply doesn't happen these days.
    Quite often he has someone in front of him and another defender behind him. But I agree that a lot of the time he is 1 on 1, but the ball doesn’t get delivered to his advantage, just up in the air which enables the defender to punch away.
    He has never been a great overhead mark so our guys need to be more accurate kicking to him, if they chose this option. He is not like Harry McKay who will outmark most defenders and even a pack of players. If we play through Buddy, we need to play to his strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Quite often he has someone in front of him and another defender behind him. But I agree that a lot of the time he is 1 on 1, but the ball doesn’t get delivered to his advantage, just up in the air which enables the defender to punch away.
    He has never been a great overhead mark so our guys need to be more accurate kicking to him, if they chose this option. He is not like Harry McKay who will outmark most defenders and even a pack of players. If we play through Buddy, we need to play to his strengths.
    I'm not so sure. My sense at the ground has been that he has been double-teamed frequently, and is certainly held and scragged routinely. The situation is also complicated by the delivery he has been coping with—long, high bombs, which allow the defence to get bodies to the drop, or spears to the pockets, which have either been forced over the boundary, or have resulted in him 1) nailing a kick from tight angles; or 2) his trying to step around a defender to open up the angle, which has sometimes been successful, but has this season seen him caught more frequently than in the past.

He has managed, however, to take a couple of chest and over the head marks on leads, and even in a pack.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    I'm not so sure. My sense at the ground has been that he has been double-teamed frequently, and is certainly held and scragged routinely. The situation is also complicated by the delivery he has been coping with—long, high bombs, which allow the defence to get bodies to the drop, or spears to the pockets, which have either been forced over the boundary, or have resulted in him 1) nailing a kick from tight angles; or 2) his trying to step around a defender to open up the angle, which has sometimes been successful, but has this season seen him caught more frequently than in the past.

He has managed, however, to take a couple of chest and over the head marks on leads, and even in a pack.
    Agreed O’ Reilly Boy. My main point being that a couple of our forwards flood back too often to help our defenders so it’s easy for the opposition to double-team Buddy. We then lose the ball and it comes back in to our back line.

Surely there’s no longer a need for this and we need to be more accountable in attack. It’s frustrating to see the ball kicked into our forward line, only to be outnumbered by their defenders. I just wish our forwards would stay where they are meant to be and give themselves proper chances to score. Horse, are you listening?

Suspended by the MRP
    Wonder what we'll do when the cavalry are set to return

Gotta fit Chad Gulden Campbell Wicks Melican and Reid into this side

Few blokes playing for their spots now

Gulden - Bell
    Chad - Rowbottom
    Campbell - Hewett
    Reid - Amartey
    Wicks - Taylor
    Melican - Fox

All straight swaps, plenty of upside in this team still

I'd prefer Brand over Melican and made no secret of the fact i think Melican is no good but he seems to have preference over Brand with the MC

Sorry RR—my comment was more a response to the previous post than to you. The other factor, of course, is that even when he has an opponent in front and another holding his arm, Buddy demands the ball (this is very clear at the ground, less apparent on television), and looks a bit aggrieved if the ball doesn't come his way (not necessarily at the kicker, who might have noticed that he is not the best option, but more frequently at the umpire who hasn't paid him a free for holding).

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Sorry RR—my comment was more a response to the previous post than to you. The other factor, of course, is that even when he has an opponent in front and another holding his arm, Buddy demands the ball (this is very clear at the ground, less apparent on television), and looks a bit aggrieved if the ball doesn't come his way (not necessarily at the kicker, who might have noticed that he is not the best option, but more frequently at the umpire who hasn't paid him a free for holding).
    Cheers mate- totally agree!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Sounds from Longmire that the Chad is a couple of weeks away. Gulden might be this week, though not clear whether via VFL or seniors.

No Melican, Reid or Campbell yet. A couple of weeks away.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Suspended by the MRP
    Spewing about Chad

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Spewing about Chad
    Thought you might be- we all are. But it important for young players to be fully fit and not make their injuries worse, as Horse said.

Question now is: who comes in?

Out: Wicks, Fox
    In: Brand, Stephens/ Blakey.

Senior Player
    Thought you might be- we all are. But it important for young players to be fully fit and not make their injuries worse, as Horse said.

Longmire hinted pretty strongly that Gulden would come in.

Suspended by the MRP

Nothing against the decision if hes not fit hes not fit but we miss athleticism in the midfield and dont have a single option in the reserves who offers that either

Shame is that i think its an area we could exploit against Port , Boak Wines etc are jets but not fast , Chad could've done some damage against them , will be a dog fight now

Hope Gulden gets up but dont want to rush these young fellas

I saw Sammy Reid in the red jumper in the pic. Does this mean he's a chance?

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast