Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 15 v Port Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think that after the first month or so we were 1st or 2nd at efficiency inside forward 50. We were leading marks inside forward fifty by some margin, and most of them were from a position where the set shot was quite straightforward.

As we've seen, our ability (or willingness) to take risks and move the ball through the middle has fallen off sharply since then. Part of it is the opposition preventing us, but I also think the team isn't displaying the run or the dare that we saw early on. I wonder if this is partly deliberate in that the coaches are worried about the vulnerability of our defence, and so are instructing the half-backs to be conservative in how they kick out. Certainly Dawson isn't trying anything like the kind of kicks he was early in the season.

As for forward 50 entries, the quality has clearly declined, particularly over the last month. Gone are attempts to kick vaguely to a target, and instead we are back to the mindless, aimless bombing it in. Who knows why they've stopped doing what worked well for the first couple of months. Sure, Gulden was one the the prime movers in this department over the first month, but he wasn't the only one. Now they've all reverted to the long mindless bomb.

The other aspect of our game that stands out to me (and has been noted by a few others) is the quality of our tackling. We seem to be expending a lot of effort but for little effect. That's one reason why the backline is being exposed - we're not really slowing down the opposition moving the ball through the midfield. Too often they are able to get a handball off to a team mate, then to another in space with the ability to kick the ball to a target.

Quite a few things to work on, but I think the tackling technique should be a priority. Start getting that right, and getting more reward for effort, and a few other things will flow. We will turn the ball over (in our favour) further up the ground a bit more often, and get more chances to get the ball into our forward 50 before it is clogged up with defenders, and thus more chance to find a target. And also provide a bit more protection for the defence. I don't think it's a work rate thing, a willingness to tackle. I think they are trying, just not doing it well. Surely that's one of the easier things to fix, even within season?
    Things can change pretty quickly, hey? A few being the umpires interpretation of the rule changes. Nowhere near as many 50s from markers moving off the Mark. It’s actually gone the other way and umps are calling play on way too quickly - puts pressure back on the player with the ball when not expecting it.

Another change has been the clogging up of the corridor - makes for ugly footy as the game has reverted back to more conservative routes around the boundary.

As for our tackling, I reckon it’s a strength thing rather than technique. Our tackling wasn’t terrible on Friday, for example, but the hawks were simply stronger. They were able to get something that resembled a handpass away even though the tackle was pretty effective.
    umps seem to be more forgiving with throws - this is pretty common across all games I’ve watched recently.

Looks like Gulden won't be right to go.. shame. A concern will be our forward pressure. No Gulden and no Wicks now through suspension! They were perhaps our leading forward pressure players in the first six or seven weeks!!
    It will be so important that we hit our targets inside 50 because ground balls won't be our strength this time!!

Could the mystery man Ben Ronke make a comeback for this one?? How has his defensive stuff been going in the VFL?

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Whoever played in Round 1 can play this week.
    so no Franklin for you then?

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    Looks like Gulden won't be right to go.. shame. A concern will be our forward pressure. No Gulden and no Wicks now through suspension! They were perhaps our leading forward pressure players in the first six or seven weeks!!
    It will be so important that we hit our targets inside 50 because ground balls won't be our strength this time!!

Could the mystery man Ben Ronke make a comeback for this one?? How has his defensive stuff been going in the VFL?
    What's your source on Gulden Neon?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    What's your source on Gulden Neon?
    Injury list states 1-2 weeks for Errol.

I read that too and adopted the opposing view - he could be ready to go! Just happy there is no subsequent injury at this point.

Regular in the Side
    I read that too and adopted the opposing view - he could be ready to go! Just happy there is no subsequent injury at this point.
    Six weeks without any football in your first year of AFL? He should come back via the twos.

Hi Mark, that would be great wouldn't it? It might happen, i'm not privy to the information the Swans medical staff are! Young Errol could 'do a Hickey' and be right to go ahead of schedule! How fantastic!!

Logic though tells me that the medical staff will be conservative with him. They have been very careful with the young swans this year, they are a key part of the team we would be taking into a final if we get there! Errol's missed six weeks of footy as bandwagon pointed out. Is only 18, will probably need a VFL game or two to get match fitness back into him! I am expecting to see him back out there in 2 weeks, and young Campbell in a month or so! Exciting if that can happen!!

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    Hi Mark, that would be great wouldn't it? It might happen, i'm not privy to the information the Swans medical staff are! Young Errol could 'do a Hickey' and be right to go ahead of schedule! How fantastic!
    Guess I was caught up in the dazzling light of Hickey's supernatural recovery powers. You never know about Gulden. He could be drinking from our big man's Gatorade bottle and surprise us all. Regardless, it's clear that this is Hickey's universe, and we are all living in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    so no Franklin for you then?
    At Round 1, he wasn't fit to play.
    It's taken 10 rounds for him to get his groove back... had a bit of trouble holding a mark for a while there.
    Our team is far too buddy centric for my liking anyway... sure, he draws in four defenders, which leaves three of our forwards more or less free.
    Kick it to someone else. Winning is more important than buddy kicking 1000 goals.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Maybe if we kicked to other free players thatn Buddy would not have four defender on him and then get to the magical 1000

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Maybe if we kicked to other free players thatn Buddy would not have four defender on him and then get to the magical 1000
    Players up the ground are too Buddy focused and keep playing to him even when he has 2-3 hanging off him. Surely the other forwards could then lead into space to receive. But no, they keep going to Buddy and put him under a lot of pressure and causing a turnover. Is this a coaching issue? Surely players have enough footy smarts to realise and weigh up the situation and look for other options in the forward line. But a problem is that too often the forwards have retraced to defend and so the opposition backs are on their own and easily outnumber us. I’m afraid we are still flooding back, which leads to a lot of congestion and frustrating play.

Keep the forwards where they belong and we might just post a winning score!

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast