Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Round 14: the other games. They're all other games.

Speaking of Carlton, the AFL media have found a scapegoat in Zak Williams because he's on big money, and supposedly not "producing".

But put yourself in Zaks shoes. Was playing for GWS (in exactly the same way as he is now) on say $400,000, but hoping he gets more time in the midfield.
    Carlton come along, and says, here's $800,000 p.a., and we will play you in the midfield.
    What do you think he'd say. "No"?

This is just a lose-lose-lose situation. Carlton lose because they put a stupid deal together and paid overs, GWS lose because they had a perfectly decent $400k half back flanker poached for no good reason, and Zak williams looses because he is blamed for it all, and really its not his fault. If he's only a $400k player in quality, he cant make himself the next bontempelli by magic.

Stupid Carlton.

Senior Player
    Yes, but Zac Williams could have thought to himself, "now I'm on the big money there are going to be much bigger expectations of me,
    and if Carlton lose I'm going to cop it" or "the reason I'm not in the midfield at GWS is because I'm not a midfielder and/or not as good
    as Kelly, Hopper, Taranto & Coniglio, so a serious midfield role may be beyond me". No, he takes the big cheque and talks about how
    he wants to be closer to his family as his sister lives in Albury. Professional football could be like many other jobs. With the big salary
    comes extra responsibility and scrutiny.
    Last edited by KTigers; 22nd June 2021 at 11:24 AM.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    ... Professional football could be like many other jobs. With the big salary
    comes extra responsibility and scrutiny.
    This ^. It is not as though it has never happened to anyone else who changed clubs for more money and then under performed relative to their paycheque.

It is similar to when Chris Scott was complaining about the pressures and stress of being a senior coach. Sure, I understand it could be a very stressful job but you are being very well compensated for it financially.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    This ^. It is not as though it has never happened to anyone else who changed clubs for more money and then under performed relative to their paycheque.

It is similar to when Chris Scott was complaining about the pressures and stress of being a senior coach. Sure, I understand it could be a very stressful job but you are being very well compensated for it financially.
    I guess I just think it's unrealistic or naive to think that you are going to get all this extra money just because you're a good bloke and have
    a cool haircut or something. Zac Williams was a better than average half back flanker at GWS playing without a lot of scrutiny and surrounded
    by lots of other good players. Getting top dollar and trying to be a gun midfielder not surrounded by lots of other good players at Carlton,
    a club that is always under intense scrutiny, is a whole different ballgame. Maybe Zac's manager should have mentioned that to him.
    And Chris Scott... he's always complaining.

I dont know. If someone asked me to be AFL CEO for a few million a year, I'd give it a crack, even though my CV doesnt quite reflect the criteria, and I went to the wrong schools.

Despite my dislike for Giil, I do give him credit how he & his team got the comp through last year's covid19 crisis and the challenges thrown up this year at short notice.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I dont know. If someone asked me to be AFL CEO for a few million a year, I'd give it a crack, even though my CV doesnt quite reflect the criteria, and I went to the wrong schools.
    Have any of you read any of Mick Warner’s “The Boys Club”?

I’ve only just started it but I think it’s criticisms of the unaccountable AFL hierarchy would go down well here on RWO.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Have any of you read any of Mick Warner’s “The Boys Club”?

I’ve only just started it but I think it’s criticisms of the unaccountable AFL hierarchy would go down well here on RWO.
    I heard an interview with him on the weekend discussing the book. He brought up when we recruited Buddy and how Fitzpatrick acted.

He said that during the Essendon drugs saga he lost his accreditation because the AFL didn't like what he was reporting.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I'd support them giving you a go as CEO Barry. Some of your initiatives like moving all our home games and the Grand Final
    to ANZ permanently, increasing Gold Coast's soft cap so that they can have seven coaches for each player and the 17 team
    comp (Carlton expelled for the crime of being Carlton) might seem controversial at first but ultimately we'll all accept that they
    are for the best. There is no doubt they need some fresh faces down at AFL House.
    Last edited by KTigers; 23rd June 2021 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I'd support them giving you a go as CEO Barry. Some of your initiatives like moving all our home games and the Grand Final
    to ANZ permanently, increasing Gold Coast's soft cap so that they can have seven coaches for each player and the 17 team
    comp (Carlton expelled for the crime of being Carlton) might seem controversial at first but ultimately we'll all accept that they
    are for the best. There is no doubt they need some fresh faces down at AFL House.
    As with all negotiations, you need to go in hard, then be prepared to compromise back less extreme versions. I would need a PR manager KTigers. Are you interested? Pay's not much, but good for personal growth.

The AFL media focus far to much on on-field performances. The simple facts are, that every year, a few teams can only win 3 or 4 games.
    Gold Coast's viability is under question, and GWS are currently the "gold standard". But a close look shows GWS home crowds arent much better than GC. GWS are only a couple of losses away from viability questions. Its all silly.

I think during the covid period, there would be no more expansion into tassy. The game is already stretched. Work out the most cost effective why to support the teams that are costing you the most.
    Post covid, there has to be a real strong effort to get GC and GWS crowds up. They are dangerously low.
    I wouldnt worry about Norf and 'aints. They do not have a long term future, and no scope for any growth. Just try to ekk out as much as you can from them. After covid, disband Norf and start Tassy. Tassy Kangaroos. New colours, mostly ex norf players. Identity in two places. Funded by state gov.

Senior Player
    Thanks Barry, I was hoping you'd ask. Don't worry about paying me, for me it is all about "giving back". Besides I want to leave
    enough in the kitty so you can afford the mortgage on that big pile in Toorak between Gils and Vlads places. Ed lives across the
    road. You'll recognise his place as it has a scale model of Victoria Park in the front yard.
    One of my first PR initiatives will be including a Giants home game membership with all Swans memberships, and a Suns
    membership with all Lions memberships. And requiring that all Swans members attend at least four Giants home games a
    year otherwise the SCG entry barcode on their phone will become inactive. Likewise Lions members will be required to attend
    four Suns home games a year. I expect it will do wonders for Giants Stadium and Metricon crowd numbers and be very popular
    amongst RWO contributors.
    Re North moving to Tasmania after Covid ; I'm ready to announce a major new sponsorship from the Tasmanian Salmon Producers
    Association for the Tassy Roos. They are looking to improve their image following the revelations in Richard Flanagan's new book.
    The Roos new jumper will be a salmoney pink colour unsurprisingly.

Surely under the #barry-archy COLA will mean either

A. Cost Of Ludwig Allowance

Or

B. COLLingwood Antagonism expenses

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast