Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 14: the other games. They're all other games.

Round 14: the other games. They're all other games.

The AFL world rolls on, despite the fact that our Swans are enjoying a well deserved bye, where our players are recharging their energy levels and getting over niggling and not so niggling injuries. Curiously, a part of me wants to write some sort of smart arsed comment, about sitting back and enjoying other clubs pick up injuries and suspensions, but on the other hand, there's another part of me, that feels like that would be tempting fate too much. Like, even though I'm an atheist, I still suspect that putting such tacky sentiments in writing, would somehow increase the risk of one of our stars severely tearing a hamstring, next time that we run out. It's much the same, when one of our forwards is lining up an easy shot at goal. Logically, I know that a commentator mouthing the words, "He's a brilliant kick, he won't miss this", couldn't possibly affect the trajectory of the ball, but still, I don't want to hear it.

Anyway, the round starts tonight with a battle of the competition heavyweights, Geelong and Western Bulldogs. The 7,000 or so people in the crowd should get to witness an entertaining spectacle. For the neutrals watching at home, who you want to win, might depend on what offends you the most? That the salary cap doesn't seem to apply to Geelong, or that the illegal disposal rule doesn't seem to apply to the Bulldogs.

The early game on Saturday is Gold Coast v Port. I keep on hoping, that the Suns will show the sort of form that I sullenly witnessed when they easily beat us at Metricon. However, I keep on being disappointed. I expect to be disappointed again.

The next game is North v Brisbane. Possibly North's chief hope in this one, is to be the beneficiaries of an incredibly one-sided display from umpires Stevic and Fleer.

Even without us, there is AFL in Sydney on the weekend, with GWS hosting Carlton. Sitting three games out of the eight (although with a game in hand), this is an absolute must win for Carlton, if they want to keep their finals chances alive. If they manage to achieve that, it would make our spot in the eight a little bit more secure, but I don't know if I really want to talk up an upset.

The last of the round's five games occurs on Sunday afternoon, when Hawthorn play Essendon. I wouldn't mind Hawthorn winning a few more games for the season. I mean, I don't think they could possibly make the eight, but each win would take them further away from the pointy end of the draft. And really, who amongst us wants to see Hawthorn achieve a rapid rebuild?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    For tonight:

M Bontempelli - knee (season)
    C Daniel - ankle (12 weeks)
    L Hunter - wrist (14 weeks).

And the Dogs to lose on the final siren thanks to the umps paying the first free against Libba for throwing in six years.
    Last edited by i'm-uninformed2; 18th June 2021 at 05:36 PM.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    For tonight:

And the Dogs to lose on the final siren thanks to the umps paying the first free against Libba for throwing in six years.
    Ohh, if Buddy does his hamstring in the next game, I'm blaming you.

For tonight:

Makes me very uncomfortable wishing serious injury on a player

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    For tonight:

That last sentence - definitely!!

Go Cats!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Makes me very uncomfortable wishing serious injury on a player
    It’s the Bulldogs. Cheating, maiming, dog poo.

Don’t think it matters who they are. Don’t agree with it

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    ROHAN!!!!

That Gary Rohan. Took a while to come good.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Dogs losing after the siren is as good as it gets.

..and Geelong get pinged for incorrect disposal.

Senior Player
    In all his years with the Swans did Gary Rohan ever kick a goal after the siren with that amount of pressure. He always seemed to feel the pressure and was hardly like to fill you with confidence . Congratulations to him he has matured and seeming to enjoy his football now.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast