Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes v West Coast

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Agreed- Will has improved. We need Isaac and Paps to nail those crucial shots which also lift team confidence.

Ollie and McCartin need to be moved around to find form. Some suggested Ollie to HB and I would try Tom forward pocket for a game to see if he can regain a bit of form.CHB is a tough ask and he isn’t experienced in that position so maybe we’re a bit harsh, but it is so vital to our defence. I’d try Ramps for.a while. Problem is with Pelican and Reid still unavailable we don’t have anyone ready to come in so all we can do is move the guys around.
    If Tom was to have an influence at the back, we need to find a way to recruit/trade for a tall defender and Tom can learn and gel with them over the next 2 years. Tom in his 2nd year with not many tall backs in the team was always going to struggle. He did well in the first half of the season as we were defending well as a team all around the ground.
    I reckon the onus is on our midfield to put pressure to reduce the speed of the ball coming into our defensive half. We are now middle of the pack in terms of our pressure and turnover game compared to others in top 8.
    Players like Ollie need to step up. I wonder if he should be put into the Center bounces.
    Looking at our CBAs since round 9 - Chad has attended less and less indicating that he probably was sore for a few weeks before being rested. RB has attended his share as the fourth most attendances in our team after Ruckman, Mills, Parker and Joey. And last week Hewett attended a lot. But Ollie hasn’t been thrust into it. Maybe he needs to be put in there to change a few things around to get him involved. Let’s put in Errol in there. He is an absolute fighter who would scrap for the ball like no one else.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Re McCartin, let’s be realistic.

He’s effectively a first year player in defence. He’s had some seriously good games; he’s had a couple of poor ones, including against Port. He’s largely good defensively, but yet to build an offensive game. He’s part of a defence rebuilding its rhythm and cohesiveness and he’s in need of additional help down back.

Of course he can get better and improve and needs to build his game and didn’t play well the other night. But to suggest he’s our biggest problem when we are building a side for 2023 and beyond and need to invest games in young players who have shown serious ability is laughable.
    +1

Great summary. I can appreciate TheBloods' contributions but they seem very quick to put players in the naughty corner heh.. it's like one form slump means they are no good!

Of our group of young cygnets, the law of averages suggest a few of them won't last with us, or may not make it at all. It's possible TB ends up being right about the high prospects of Chad and Juzzy, or the doomed fates of Ollie or Rowbottom. It's possible he ends up being wrong about them as well! We won't know until we try them and give them every chance to succeed! They must be given the opportunity and valuable experience of playing through their form slumps.. seeing their mistakes.. learning from them.. if they stagnate, or come out the other side no better off, perhaps they're not destined for a long career. Or a change of scenery is needed. None of us know! We need to let their early careers play out before we can give them a star rating!

So Tommy stays! & hopefully follows the Reg Grundy slow burn trajectory to key defender stardom!

CHEER CHEER

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Was Wicks in the 33 players that did go to Melbourne? ie can he actually replace Bell, as being called for by some.
    wicks is in Melb - he was at ressies the other night

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Here's some clarity on who's in Melbourne and who's in Newcastle

Swans reinforcements forced out of Sydney as COVID cases grow

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I have no qualms about people having a go at TB for his RB rants but comments on anyone's wife should be out of bounds.....and considering TB's personal experience mentioned recently on another thread, should be forever out of bounds.

Not sure you're aware of his situation so please don't take this too personally.....and all the best to you TB.
    I have no clue and no need to know, but am happy to go back and edit that out if you think it's a problem.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Tis ok peeps. I've reported my own post so the mods can forever delete it.

Now, back to the cluster that is our side being located in two different states right now, and whether or not Lewis Taylor is really the saviour of the Swans.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

In: Gould, Wicks, Ronke, Taylor
    Out: Brand, Bell, Kennedy, Hewett

Heeney plays midfield.

We should be well beaten for height, so why not try something different and go for speed. We're not going anywhere this year, so I'm for trying different looks and giving experience to players not getting senior games of late.

I'm not expecting this to be a winning formula. Just looking, as they say.

I think hub life is going to hurt our season. Maybe not this week, but the weeks after.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I think hub life is going to hurt our season. Maybe not this week, but the weeks after.
    I am actually not that worried about hub life where our boys are concerned. By all accounts they really bonded in the hub last year and subsequently set themselves up for a great start to this season.....and one has to admit, we have not been performing great at the SCG anyway. Of course, any extended time away from home is not ideal but I think our club and players handle these situations very well.

It’s a pity they only took 33 players. Otherwise I would see it as a positive, like the 2020 hub.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    It’s a pity they only took 33 players. Otherwise I would see it as a positive, like the 2020 hub.
    I think most of the others are heading to Melbourne soon.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Here's some clarity on who's in Melbourne and who's in Newcastle

Swans reinforcements forced out of Sydney as COVID cases grow

- - - Updated - - -

I have no clue and no need to know, but am happy to go back and edit that out if you think it's a problem.
    I think we stuffed that travel plan thing. John kind of admitted it yesterday. He explained that they had only a few hours to decide who would go and that they made their decision based on an expectation they would be down there for a short time.

But it was pretty clear at the time that it would be longer.

Obviously, they must rue not bringing them all down like GWS did.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I think most of the others are heading to Melbourne soon.
    Correct. Being in Newcastle, they can apply for a permit to Victoria once (I think) 14 outside of the Sydney red zone.

In: Wicks
    Out: Bell

Warner, McDonald aren't available. No injuries from the game we're aware of.
    Blakey was ok in reserves but needs more time learning down back. There's no point playing Taylor - he's not a longer term prospect. It's better getting games in to RB, Florent etc go learn on the job instead of dropping them for poor games

Matchups will be interesting.
    Darling - McCartin
    Kennedy - Rampe
    Allen - Brand
    Petruccelle - Cunningham
    Fox to take the resting midfielder (usually Sheed, Cripps).

The Bulldogs did a great job forcing West Coast deep in defence and to the wings. Gave up cheap marks in the back half to force them wide.
    And their midfield just rolled over. They are known downhill skiiers but will be wanting to rectify last week's performance. We'll need to be ready for a battle in the middle.

West Coast are the best team in the league at defending aerially. But the worst at ground balls - terribly bad. So Papley, Gulden and Wicks will be vital in not just applying pressure but collecting ground balls.
    Hayward playing the tall decoy will be important again. But more to break up the talls and bringing the ball to ground.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast