Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes v West Coast

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    The Bulldogs did a great job forcing West Coast deep in defence and to the wings. Gave up cheap marks in the back half to force them wide.
    And their midfield just rolled over. They are known downhill skiiers but will be wanting to rectify last week's performance. We'll need to be ready for a battle in the middle.

West Coast are the best team in the league at defending aerially. But the worst at ground balls - terribly bad. So Papley, Gulden and Wicks will be vital in not just applying pressure but collecting ground balls.
    Hayward playing the tall decoy will be important again. But more to break up the talls and bringing the ball to ground.
    Some really good observations there.

It is a disadvantage of playing at Geelong that we don't have much width to play with on the weekend in terms of the ground - but to balance that, its not like West Coast play that ground well at all for plenty of other reasons. So + probably outweigh the - in that sense.

Maybe we need to intentionally kick it in crap into the forward line against them! We usually are brilliant at playing to the aerial strengths of the opposition's defence more often then not. A few more scuffed kicks in dribbling along the ground!
    Last edited by liz; 30th June 2021 at 04:45 PM. Reason: response to deleted post
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I'm making the drive down the highway for this one! Quite excited. I don't wish to sound elitist but every time my hubby and I make the journey to Geelong, I am reminded of why I am glad I live in Melbourne!! It is a cold and rainy and windy part of the world! Not that Melbourne isn't cold heh... but Melbourne is like the gourmet ski resort in Gstaad while Geelong is a damp tarpaulin research base set up in Antarctica

I only kid! Geelong ain't all that bad!

Wouldn't it be great if we could get back to our winning ways at this oval? Wasn't this where we won something like 5 games in a row back in our finals days?

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    I'm making the drive down the highway for this one! Quite excited. I don't wish to sound elitist but every time my hubby and I make the journey to Geelong, I am reminded of why I am glad I live in Melbourne!! It is a cold and rainy and windy part of the world! Not that Melbourne isn't cold heh... but Melbourne is like the gourmet ski resort in Gstaad while Geelong is a damp tarpaulin research base set up in Antarctica

I only kid! Geelong ain't all that bad!

Wouldn't it be great if we could get back to our winning ways at this oval? Wasn't this where we won something like 5 games in a row back in our finals days?
    We've won 3 of the last 4 going back to 2016

Veterans List
    Showers forecast, will that suit either side?

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Showers forecast, will that suit either side?
    West coast famously can't play in the wet

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    West coast famously can't play in the wet
    It’s certainly not our forte either. Hopefully we learned a bit from last week.

Regular in the Side
    I don't understand this reluctance to play Taylor because of his age - I mean he is the same age as Hewett & O'Riordan!
    Every time I watch the ressies he is among the best. Surely he could play a role in the firsts if required?

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    It’s certainly not our forte either. Hopefully we learned a bit from last week.
    Yeh that was going to be my comment too - that rain hurt us a lot last week (though one could note we did dominate reasonable parts of the 2nd quarter but couldn't turn it into scores). But I guess it plays more into the hands of our small forwards and against their defenders, so maybe a little bit of a positive for us in net terms.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    I don't understand this reluctance to play Taylor because of his age - I mean he is the same age as Hewett & O'Riordan!
    Every time I watch the ressies he is among the best. Surely he could play a role in the firsts if required?
    I like Squizzy. He has talent and showed in his first few years at the Lions that he can play. Found himself behind 2 pretty good small forwards in McCarthy and Cameron. I agree with you though that he could work for us, delivery into our F50 and sniping a few of his own.

Senior Player
    I like Taylor too. He can play. BTW, the new era of the VFL starts this week with all the teams now in Victoria, and all nine games
    this round are been played there. It's taken almost 40 years but the world has finally started spinning on it's axis again. Phew!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I like Squizzy. He has talent and showed in his first few years at the Lions that he can play. Found himself behind 2 pretty good small forwards in McCarthy and Cameron. I agree with you though that he could work for us, delivery into our F50 and sniping a few of his own.
    I do too, and feel that he has been badly served by coming into games as medical sub at times when the team was well behind the game, and struggled to find his way into things. I'd like to see him line up from the first bounce at half forward, and get into on his terms. Was doing enough in the final weeks of 2020 to make me think that there is plenty there.

Agree re: Taylor. He should of been given more gametime this year. Last year he came to the Swans unfit and paid the price and served his time. He's fit again, still mid twenties and is consistently tearing up the ressies. He deserves to be playing before Bell that's for sure.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast