Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Round 16: the other games. VFL Round.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    More than a feeling
    Matt used to like regularly dropping references to American sportspeople and coaches as well 🤔

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Matt used to like regularly dropping references to American sportspeople and coaches as well 🤔
    Don't forget Kochie!

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    If he did single out some of our players then our players should use it as a learning opportunity.
    That's not the point. There is an understanding among the coaches that you don't ever single out or go after the opposition players in public. This is why he lost a lot of respect from people. He did the same thing twice, Swans players both times. It was deliberately disrespectful.

I can see why some might find it difficult to accept that this guy demands their respect.

Veterans List
    Definition of Ludicrous “ so foolish, unreasonable, or out of place as to be amusing”
    I suspect that most people on here would not class my comment in regard to your demanding we respect him as such

Just to clarify my actual position in regard to Mr Clarkson I appreciate and admire how he took a team that was a laughing stock and in disarray and rebuilt it to be a powerhouse and the success and adulation he has enjoyed over the journey was probably well deserved.
    Unfortunately his general demeanour such as a willingness to have his players push boundaries on the field along with his constant attempt try to set agendas against opposition players and teams during that time and his regular temper tantrums does not warrant my respect.
    The above is pretty much it in a nutshell. There is no doubt Clarkson is a great coach, his achievements in the role present ample evidence of this. However, as a human being, there is ample evidence that does not deserve anyone's respect. All of the above plus who can forget his 'dog act' (and that is being disrespectful to dogs frankly) as a North player in the 'Battle of Britain' exhibition game when he coward punched a Carlton player from behind (can't remember who) and knocked him out cold. I'll never forget that and it has always annoyed me how this sniping turd is now exalted as the 'master coach' as if that incident never happened. It remains to this day, the worst act of deliberate aggression I've ever seen in footy (well, at least equal to Matthews on Bruns).

Clarkson neither demands nor deserves my respect.....but I agree, he is a good coach.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 7th July 2021 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    The above is pretty much it in a nutshell. There is no doubt Clarkson is a great coach, his achievements in the role present ample evidence of this. However, as a human being, there is ample evidence that does not deserve anyone's respect. All of the above plus who can forget his 'dog act' (and that is being disrespectful to dogs frankly) as a North player in the 'Battle of Britain' exhibition game when he coward punched a Carlton player from behind (can't remember who) and knocked him out cold. I'll never forget that and it has always annoyed me how this sniping turd is now exalted as the 'master coach' as if that incident never happened. It remains to this day, the worst act of deliberate aggression I've ever seen in footy (well, at least equal to Matthews on Bruns).

Clarkson neither demands nor deserves my respect.....but I agree, he is a good coach.
    What’s your view on the impact that Clarkson had on the development of Lance Franklin as a footballer? They both started at Hawthorne in 2005.

Would Franklin still be the amazing player he developed into no matter the coach or did Clarkson set Franklin on the path to great success?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    What’s your view on the impact that Clarkson had on the development of Lance Franklin as a footballer? They both started at Hawthorne in 2005.

Would Franklin still be the amazing player he developed into no matter the coach or did Clarkson set Franklin on the path to great success?
    Lance is a generational talent that probably would have been a superstar even if you or I coached him.😀

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post

If you’re not a decent human being, it is irrelevant if you are a good coach. The fact that he never apologised to Ian Aitkin after king hitting him says it all- a cowardly and despicable act.

As for his coaching: yes, he was part of a group that assembled a fantastic team, and he is very good on match days making moves. But his angry behaviour is there for all to see and I would never want him to coach the Swans. Can’t respect him as a man. As for his football ability- he was average at best at Norf: wouldn’t get anywhere near our current Swans team, though admittedly that’s not a necessity to coaching ability.

Just don’t like him and never did.

Lance is a generational talent that probably would have been a superstar even if you or I coached him.😀
    Except in the eyes of the Rising Star nomination panel of his debut year!!

If you type 'Alastair Clarkson' into youtube it prompts you to choose from the following searches (in order):

alastair clarkson
    alastair clarkson punches wall
    alastair clarkson punches fan
    alastair clarkson king hit
    alastair clarkson kfc [??]
    alastair clarkson angry
    alastair clarkson battle of britain

If you do the same thing for "john longmire" you get: highlights, press conference, spray, nickname, family, son, coaching record etc.

Tells you a little about their respective characters.

Clarko has also been reported and suspended for abusing the umpire's adviser at his son's under 9s match in 2012.

I agree that if you judge Alastair Clarkson by his coaching record, it is formidable. If you care about the content of his character (I do), it is murkier. To be fair, I have seen him do and say impressive and classy things as well as being petulant, angry and thuggish.

I'm in the camp that would not want to see Clarko at the Swans at any time in the foreseeable future - despite his aforementioned formidable coaching record.

Longmire, on the other hand, also has an excellent coaching record (albeit shaded by Clarko's) but comports himself in a classy and dignified way and doesn't rely on intimidation to get results. I'm happy with Horse.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Very good side Melbourne.Going to be hard to beat for the flag.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Definition of Ludicrous “ so foolish, unreasonable, or out of place as to be amusing”
    I suspect that most people on here would not class my comment in regard to your demanding we respect him as such

Just to clarify my actual position in regard to Mr Clarkson I appreciate and admire how he took a team that was a laughing stock and in disarray and rebuilt it to be a powerhouse and the success and adulation he has enjoyed over the journey was probably well deserved.
    Unfortunately his general demeanour such as a willingness to have his players push boundaries on the field along with his constant attempt try to set agendas against opposition players and teams during that time and his regular temper tantrums does not warrant my respect.
    It’s like you took my thoughts and expressed them for me ..beautifully said

I can never understand why choco Williams is not head coach. He won Port a flag, was a genius at the giants (and should have got the senior gig) and now doing wonders at Melbourne.

That resume is amazing and proven at different clubs. Perfect fit for Collingwood IMO.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast